Skin Sets

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Rey D, Apr 9, 2012.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I'm not sure if either ANN or Vs. Super Mario Bros. has enough differences to warrant inclusion on its own (the maps, not the graphics), but I think it'd be interesting to have maps that combine the differences from ANN and Vs. in the most interesting way. It'd be a sort of Alternate Super Mario Bros.

2. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

It could be nice to include ANN and VS. as minor map packs, and have ASMB as a bonus. :)

Mitewing likes this.
  3. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Both VS and ANN mix up levels from SMB and LL in different ways. Plus each level has minor differences regarding enemies, obstacles, and items.

This article explains it quite well.

http://sydlexia.com/ann-smb-level-changes.htm

EDIT: ANN Levels are here.
    http://sydlexia.com/ann-smb-levels-main.htm

Most of them are indeed modified SMB1 levels with some LL thrown in. It also has modified A-D worlds and doesn't include the Winds from LL.

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The way the map packs are set up, I don't think there's such a thing as a "minor" map pack. It is a lot of work to set up a single map pack, especially considering Easy and Hard version need to be made as well, and those aren't simply a matter of copying existing maps, but rather creatively designing more difficult obstacles for players to overcome.

5. Mariofan5000

I got an idea. Why not have ANN and VS. be grouped with Easy and Hard maps? Most of their levels are edits of the originals anyway.

6. Dochobin

Dochobin Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Speaking of Worlds A-D, how would that work if Lost Levels was added?
    Special and SMB both only have 8 worlds.

7. Mitewing

Lost Levels also has a World 9 along with A-D. ANN doesn't have World 9 , only A-D so I dunno.

8. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"I got an idea. Why not have ANN and VS."

Dude I really don't think ANN and Vs. are making it in... Vs. is kind of obsolete with hard-mode anyway

9. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

you add worlds 9-d by putting more levels into the pack

unless smbc just has some really weird code structure it shouldnt be an issue

10. Mitewing

Neither are obsolete in my opinion. They're both official Nintendo releases.

uglyrodent likes this.
  11. Dochobin

Yeah, but if they're barely different from SMB and map packs aren't easy to set up, they wouldn't really be worth the effort.

12. Mitewing

Is it really conceivable to create a Hard Version of Lost Levels? I'd rather have Lost Levels, and VS and ANN to replace the easy/hard maps.

13. Dochobin

I never mentioned difficulty.
    I mean that, according to sbq, map packs are a lot of work, and I personally don't think ANN and VS are unique enough to be worth putting in, if it takes a lot of effort that could be used on something else.
    My opinion, though.

14. Mitewing

Maybe one day they can made and added whenever a Level Editor is released.

15. TheomanZero

Easy/Hard maps are just the Normal maps with certain objects "tagged" to appear or disappear on different difficulties. Vs. and ANN are different enough from LL that they couldn't be elegantly combined with tags, so you couldn't reduce the number of map packs that way.

Mitewing likes this.
  16. Mariofan5000

I was talking about having the tags thing allow for ANN and VS.

17. TheomanZero

I was talking to Mitewing. Your suggestion might work, though.

Mitewing and mariofan2020 like this.
  18. Mitewing

Do the tags work with item and enemy placement as well? Because those are some the major differences in ANN and VS.

19. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The tags work with everything. I don't think we'll be creating ANN and VS tags, though. I really don't think it's necessary. If people want to see those levels, they'll have to wait for a level editor and make the levels themselves.

Mitewing and Dimpsy like this.
  20. TurretBot

TurretBot Level 3: Paratroopa

I know this is never going to happen right now because SAS exists, but maybe after it is finished, you could add metroid as a new game pack.
    (just be happy I didn't ask for smb3 :p I'd rather have smb2usa anyway)

EDIT: I'm pretty sure there's a subsection for stuff like this
    If you're here for skins (and I'm sure you are) then just carry on

Mitewing likes this.