Request Skin-specific SFX / 16-bit SFX

Discussion in 'Features' started by Frozsoul, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

Just to add to a growing wishlist on the forums, I think it would be incredibly awesome if the new GB and SNES graphics and musics were also complemented with GB and SNES sound effects. This would seem to be the final phase in truly completing the retro experience.

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I agree. It shouldn't be too hard to add them, right?

3. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

This isn't much of an important request, it's just aestethical and nothing more, but i felt like putting this up, so here it is.
    Then, you're playing with Mario, on SMAS Mario, but your sound effects are the same as NES SMB. I know the game's already filled with music for all skins, but some skins feel weird with NES SFX, and some community-made skins will feel weird with some SFX.
    It would be cool to have Skin-specific SFX (and level-skin specific SFX, for coin collection, brick breaking and some others.

4. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Yeah I think most skins kept NES sounds.
    I reported about GB Link's sounds, because he actually has at least one GB sound, so I'm not sure either they're supposed to have their sound or not.

I think Trevor has got his NES sounds, though.

5. TheomanZero

Well, since sound effects are tied to characters, I guess it would make sense to have them change based on your skin. Hopefully this won't be very difficult to implement. (I wonder if SNES sound effects present the same problems as SNES music? Well, SNES music is still available, so this should be, too.)

6. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

No, all SFX are WAVs, so no performance issues.
    But anyway, SFX are very big uncompressed sound, so idk if the game will be too bloated with alot of them in

7. Pgj6297

Pgj6297 Level 2: Koopa

You think It'd be possible to add corresponding sound effects for each skin?

8. Rey D

Patron

I'm pretty sure that was intended and that except console switching, they work fine. Though I should look it up.

9. Pgj6297

Pgj6297 Level 2: Koopa

Well all the skins have NES sound effects for me.

10. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I support this, unless Jay turns up and says it'll make the game too big to host.

huang17 likes this.
  11. TheomanZero

This is definitely one of the features I want. Every skin should have the most appropriate sound effects. (They're smaller files than music, right?)

mariofan2020, ThomasMink and Frozsoul like this.
  12. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Try and guess the size difference between a one minute long loop of music and a half-second long sound effect.

13. Nitron_ZX

Nitron_ZX Level 5: Spiny

1/120? probably not gonna be that mathematically easy but...

though unique sounds would be nice.

14. TheomanZero

Well yeah, but that's assuming the world is logical, which is not always the case.

15. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

I wholeheartedly support this request!

Edit: I just realized I had previously made a similar request here. Perhaps a mod can merge topics?

16. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Here, I merged two threads, one of which received a "considering" tag, if I find the other one I'll merge it too. I think in the near future I'm going to go through the forums and bump all the threads that Jay recently tagged for "considering" so that you guys can discuss them and see what's going on.

TheomanZero, Rey D and Mitewing like this.
  17. Mr.Giang

Mr.Giang Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I think Simon CV2 should have his own SFX, too.

TheomanZero likes this.
  18. TheomanZero

Agreed.

19. Rey D

Patron

→ Problem is that since SMBC doesn't allow Simon to make enemies flash, it won't look really good if you put the flashing sound.

20. Mr.Giang

Mr.Giang Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Maybe in Unity version, he will make enemies flash with SFX.