Request Skin-specific SFX / 16-bit SFX

Discussion in 'Features' started by Frozsoul, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Oh.
    O-oh no.
    Wavs are huge.
    Huge...

2. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Yeah, but SFX are usually quick and, as these, they don't take much size.
    Let's take an example: Simon the Sorcerer 2 with speech is around 80MB, and the game is HUGEx3, and every single conversation (and even some idle conversations between NPCs) has speech. So if a game with uncompressed speech that is long as hell can keep a reasonable size despite the amout of audio, i think the short wavs for SMBC can have also a reasonable size, i guess.
    But about the SFX being WAVs, that's all speculation. I don't know if jay has a magical format he sets up for the SFX.

3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

If WAVs are such a problem, would it be possible to change them to another format without too much trouble?

4. TiagoDu

FLAC or MP3 or OGG, maybe. We still have no problems with WAV bloating. I mean, how much of the game is sound effects?

5. TheomanZero

Well, if this is implemented, there will probably be about three times as many sound effects in the game.

6. TheomanZero

Double-posting but it's been a month and a half: I just thought I should point out that in Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Simon has a sound effect for when he lands on the ground. This sound effect should be added to the "Cursed Simon" skin. (Curiously, Trevor does not have one in CV3.)

Mr.Giang likes this.
  7. TiagoDu

Sure, Why not?

TheomanZero likes this.
  8. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Skin specific sound effects should apply to Map skins too. Example: When you go down pipe on the Metroid skin, it makes the sound of the door opening after Samus shoots it.

9. TiagoDu

Yep, that too. I think i actually mentioned something alike on the first post.

10. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Isn't there an elevator sound in Metroid? I really don't think the door-sound makes sense for entering pipes.

11. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Speaking of pipe changes, it'd be nice if pipes were just teleporters for Mega Man and Bass.

Mitewing likes this.
  12. Mitewing

The elevator is probably more appropriate.

13. Mr.Giang

Mr.Giang Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Hey, how about the "Secret discovery" theme each time Link enters pipes or discover the secrets?

Mitewing and aliceandsven like this.
  14. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

I dunno. I still like everyone going through the pipe.

15. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"Hey, how about the "Secret discovery" theme each time Link enters pipes or discover the secrets?"

That's a good idea, it fits when I imagine it in my head.

Mitewing likes this.
  16. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

This is a minor request. At the moment when 16-bit Bill/Lance die, it still plays the 8-bit sound effect. Requesting the 16-bit sound effect instead.

huang17 likes this.
  17. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Have you noticed that all skins use only NES effects?

18. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

Oops! Good point Rey D! Somehow I completely forgot about this. I guess the 16-bit graphic skins and music are implemented so well at times that I forget we still have NES SFX. Perhaps a mod can remove this topic or merge it with this one?

19. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

I'm pretty sure a bigger contender is that Link's death sound effect is 8-bit anyways.
    In fact, the only characters with 16-bit death sounds are the Mario Bros., Ryu, and Simon.

20. Mitewing

I think it's been mentioned, (but don't recall the thread), that characters/skins have only NES sound effects. So eventually I'd love to have sound effects match characters/skins whenever possible.

My requests go a bit further. For example, not only 16 bit sounds for 16 bit Simon, but also correct sound effects for Robot Master skins that have "different" weapons than Mega Man and Bass have.

Now, I understand this is a a very difficulty process, and may not be worth the time. I suggest minor updates to sound effects here and there, until one day eventually, all sounds are system specific. Characters and skins that don't have appropriate sound effects may have other similar sounds added like Gimmick music for Demon Returns. Or could be left alone entirely.

That's my two cents.

ThomasMink, Develon and TheomanZero like this.