Request Skin-specific SFX / 16-bit SFX

Discussion in 'Features' started by Frozsoul, Feb 14, 2012.

1. TheBlueBomber

TheBlueBomber Level 3: Paratroopa

The Megaman skin uses the sprite from 1-6 and the Rock skin uses the 9 and 10 sprite =)

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

After careful analysis, I've determined that the teleport animation is from 1 & 2, the shooting-on-ladders sprites are from 1-4, 9, & 10, and the Charge Shot is from 6. The rest of his sprites are identical between games, as far as I can tell. (The biggest differences are in the Stage Select faces, which don't appear in SMBC
    (Incidentally, as far as I can tell, the teleport animation Rush uses in SMBC never appeared in the Mega Man games since it's a recolor of the 1 & 2 teleport animation, and Rush didn't appear until 3. Not that I'm complaining because I think the 1 & 2 animation is a little better anyway.)

TheBlueBomber and Mitewing like this.
  3. NES Boy

NES Boy Level 3: Paratroopa

4. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

TheomanZero likes this.
  5. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  6. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

You probably know already, but:
    BS_The_Legend_of_Zelda_logo.png

7. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

This has nothing to do with anything. I meant in SMBC. They don't have 16-bit death sounds in SMBC.

8. Mariofan5000

Which I wish they do.

9. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

Happy New Year everyone!

While playing SMBC today, I had some further thoughts about this request from a while back to include more skin-specific sounds. The main counter-argument in this thread to adding more sounds to SMBC has been that if WAV files are assumed to be used, they will add significantly to the file size. While I don't necessarily doubt the impact of WAV files on a Flash game, and realize that it may not be possible for SMBC to accommodate all available sounds, I still feel that adding a few strategically chosen new sounds (if feasible) could have a significant impact on the gameplay experience. For example:
    • Adding coin collection sounds to various map skins from their original games (SML2, SMB3, SMW, Zelda II, Demon Returns)
    • Adding pipe enter/exit sounds to various map skins from their original games (SML2, SMB3, SMW, Demon Returns)
    • Adding enemy stomped/turtle shell kicked sounds to various map skins from their original games (SML2, SMB3, SMW, Demon Returns)
    These types of sounds would be encountered very frequently during game play, adding the most "bang for the buck" if file size is still of concern, and therefore I think should be considered with next highest priority. However, I'm a bit doubtful that file size is currently a major concern, as some of the relatively new sounds added to SMBC occur with much less overall frequency than the above (e.g. the cross sound effect for Castlevania skin, the Screw Crusher sound effect, Ice Man's shot sound effect, etc.)

Hopefully new sounds can still make it to a future SMBC update, as I feel that it is one of the last remaining hurdles for SMBC to truly replicate the retro experience. :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  10. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Wow I keep forgetting / don't even notice that the sounds are all 8bit...

Also, I merged these two threads together since they're the same thing pretty much, and did some clean-up on the last page.

I would also like to thank Frozsoul for helping with some of the "library work" like this :)

Frozsoul, Mitewing and Faruga like this.
  11. Mitewing

Wonderful! I think a complete list of your suggestions should be compiled, complete with an audible file of each SFX, if possible.

Frozsoul likes this.
  12. Frozsoul

That would be great, though it's probably best to confirm first with Jay which (if any) additional SFX would be considered for future versions of SMBC.

On a related note, I noticed in SMBC's version history that version 2.0 added the following feature:

I'm not sure what this means. Does this mean that WAV files are not used for SFX as of 2.0? What does it mean they are "recorded in game"?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  13. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

It means it's mainly coming from the NSF with the occasional WAV here and there (like the Screw Crusher).

Frozsoul likes this.
  14. Frozsoul

Neat! Well at least new sounds for the NES maps should add little in the way of overhead.

Unfortunately, upon some brief research, it appears that SFX from SNES games may not be as easy and may have to be WAV files. Perhaps a music expert can confirm this? Perhaps Jean-Marc? :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  15. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

If most sound effects are using the Music Emu on the game, then SNES and GB sounds can also be easily added. ;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    Frozsoul likes this.
  16. Mitewing

What about more 8 bit SFX for specific skins?

17. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

I planned on adding this feature at some point, but I'm not sure I'll ever get to it. Most of the sound effects in the game are emulated, but some are WAV files. By the way, the number you see before the game starts is the emulated sound effects being converted to WAV format.

Alkerion, Frozsoul, TiagoDu and 6 others like this.
  18. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

oh my god wow
    why that and not anything else

19. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Why not convert WAV on the fly when you select a skin?

20. Mariofan5000

Wouldn't that cause lag when it does?

luigiman64 likes this.