Official Skin Templates

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Ryuza, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Rey D and uglyrodent like this.
  2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

While working with Simon's 16-bit skin template, I've noticed something:
    [​IMG]
    Look at his standing sprite in the upper left, then the one next to his crouching sprite in the upper right. These two sprites are the same, except that the thing on his belt (I assume that's his whip?) is a different color -- it's brown on the left and gray on the right.
    I checked Simon's other skin templates, and on all of those, these two sprites are exactly the same, with no color differences. Is this a mistake? Also, what is the sprite in the upper right used for?

3. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Upper right is for jumping, while upper left is for idle standing. It looks like a simple mistake. I'll fix it. :)

Rey D likes this.
  4. TheomanZero

After seeing some footage of Demon Returns on YouTube, I noticed that the power-ups (the coin-like objects with Moon, Sun, and 1up symbols on them) rotate. The Map template allows up to four frames for each power-up, so I think these rotation animations should be added to the Demon Returns skin.
    On the subject of power-up animations, the Fire Flower has a rotating palette in the Super Mario All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros., but the SMAS skin for SMBC just has the Fire Flower as a static color, even though it has four frames in the template. I think that rotating palette should be added as well.
    Also, I've noticed that in the Skin Templates for the Demon skins (both 8- and 16-bit), the space for the Fire Flower contains a purple version of the "Moon Coin", although it doesn't appear in the game. What's up with that?

uglyrodent likes this.
  5. sbq92

I've been doing some updating of the map skins (and other skins) as I catch things like incomplete animations. As such, I definitely appreciate these sorts of observations. :)

I did check just now, and I haven't updated the SMAS SMB Fire Flower yet, but I'll get on it. As for the spinning power-up discs(?), I wasn't aware of that, but I'll look into it. It would be cool to have them spin, but I'll check with Zach about why they weren't set up to spin. Maybe he had a reason for making them static.

I'm not sure about the purple Fire Flower coin, but I did just notice that the map sheet has the moon disc for both the Mushroom and the Fire Flower. Perhaps the Fire Flower is supposed to be purple? I'll ask Zach about this as well.

Thanks for bringing these to my attention. :)

TheomanZero and aliceandsven like this.
  6. sbq92

Double post because I can. :p

I've discussed both of the Demon Returns related matters with Zach, and I checked a video playthrough myself. It turns out the medallions only spin when they first come out of the block, then they stop spinning. This isn't possible in SMBC, and it technically wouldn't be faithful to DR if the medallion always spun, so we'll leave it as it is. Regarding the purple medallion on the Demon's sheet, I'm not sure what it is, but in DR, the Demon collects the same item a second time to power up further, hence the map sheet using the same moon medallion for both the Mushroom and the Fire Flower. So, DR functions the way it should right now. :)

aliceandsven, uglyrodent and Rey D like this.
  7. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

8. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

Those are in fact from BS Zelda, the Link sprites I made myself but I used the BS Zelda sprites for the items and everything that didn't need to be changed.

Rey D likes this.
  9. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Are you sure you made them? Because they look exactly like the sprites for the hack Zelda Third Quest.

10. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

Feel free to compare :)

Third Quest:

My sprites:
    [​IMG]

The sprites in third quest look a lot different, the main reason they look similar is cause they share the same palette from the original BS Zelda graphics.

Rey D likes this.
  11. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

You get rewards for beating the dungeons other than the triforce? NICE!

12. MissingNo2

Okay, I will admit that I was just instantly reminded of Third Quest, because it's the only version of Zelda 1 that I play now.

13. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"Are you sure you made them?"

That is a bit rude... :/

uglyrodent likes this.
  14. MissingNo2

Sorry for the confusion.

15. TheomanZero

Speaking of Third Quest, it replaces the Magic Sword, Magic Shield, and Magic Book with the Master Sword, Hylian Shield, and Book of Mudora, respectively. Do you think it would be a good idea to use the Master Sword and Mylian Shield in the 16-bit skin?
    Actually, I'm not really sure how to get my hands on these sprites. They come in a patch called the "Triforce Tile Set" which can be downloaded on this page:
    http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/bs1files.shtml
    Ryuza, if you approve of this idea, maybe you can see if you can get the sprites from those ISP files?

16. sbq92

I'm not sure if we should use them. Third Quest isn't official, it's a hack. I agree it would be interesting, but I don't know about using unofficial graphics when official graphics already exist. I'll see what Zach thinks.

17. Loveforever92003

Loveforever92003 Level 5: Spiny

I have a question about Mega Man and Bass's sheets. Why are half of they're arms visible on one sprite and what purpose does it have? Is it used for Hard Knuckle?
    basswithhalfarm.png

18. sbq92

Yeah, that half-arm shows up for a very brief moment after Hard Knuckle is fired. If you're making your own character and are doing something different like shooting a missile (e.g., Dr. Wily) then you can just use the normal shooting arm in that spot.

Rey D likes this.
  19. sbq92

Hey, just a small update on the skin templates. We've gone back to the style where they have the empty bar along the top, since the Flash version needs that there for the sheets to read properly. I'll be updating the templates on the wiki momentarily. :)

Crownjo likes this.
  20. TheomanZero

I've noticed that in SMBC, the "balance scale" platforms have no visible cords or pulleys on the SML2 and SMW skins (and probably also some others that I can't remember), leaving only floating platforms. However, the SML2 and SMW Map Skins on the wiki do have pulleys and cords.
    Are the Map Skin templates on the wiki inaccurate? And for that matter, why aren't these cords and pulleys in the game? They look like they'd work well.

MissingNo2 likes this.