Official Skin Templates

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Ryuza, Jan 16, 2012.

1. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Thank you for writing up that wiki page btw, it's helping out a lot. Kind of trying to wrap my head around the separate map and theme things.

roman6a likes this.
  2. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

Jay wrote most of the page and I added some notes. We actually used to have the map and theme stuff together but whenever we added to the map portion we had to rearrange the themes and Jay had to set it up in game again.

If you're wondering about something feel free to ask. :)

roman6a likes this.
  3. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I really am not getting the themes. I haven't worked with them yet, so I figure I'll learn a lot once I do. Still, I figure it's worth asking.

roman6a likes this.
  4. Ryuza

[​IMG][​IMG]

From the examples it shouldn't be too hard to figure out, basically there's two sets of blocks, ground blocks, and step blocks. The two sets of blocks have 16 tiles each for basic use, then there's an additional 25 blocks each for intersections with other blocks, they aren't used often though, if you look at the template on the right the black lines represent the edges of the blocks and you can see how the intersections work.

So basically, ground and step blocks use 16 basic tiles and 25 tiles for intersections. After that there's a few other basic tiles, trees, 3 frames of animation for bushes, stems and platforms. On the example on the right everything is represented by the tile used in the original smb.

The themes are essentially mini skins for the stages, the game uses theme kind of like it would a skin. The things on the map skin don't change enough between stages for them to need to be included with the themes. So those objects always stay the same (with the exception of their colors) on any stage/theme.

roman6a, aliceandsven and uglyrodent like this.
  5. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Yeah I figure people are most confused by those groups of 25. I think only the Super Mario All-Stars castle theme uses them. They're also going to double as alternating blocks (like for a metroid skin) but I haven't even designed how that'd work yet and it'd probably just confuse people.

As long as you get the basic idea down and start making a skin, we'll help with the rest if it is cool enough for the game. I think people should work together to design some awesome mega man skins. Those have so much potential with they system we built.

roman6a likes this.
  6. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Thanks Ryuza I get it now.

roman6a likes this.
  7. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Hmmmm everything gets clearer now.

I'm still confused about the "ennemy" sheet. There are some sort of fire dust or something above and below Bower's frames. Plus he has so much frames I don't know what they are for. Also, stars?

Hm... There are some pixels which are one pixel shifted to the left. I mean, just look at Link's sheet.

8. Ryuza

[​IMG]
    On Link's sheet the top row of the first 3 columns are standing still sprites, the bomb and arrow to the left of the boomerangs are the ones used when actually uses the items, the bomb and arrow above the bow, and other bomb are ammo pick ups, and the bow and the bomb next to it are the actual powerup icons that appear out of blocks.

Does that explain everything alright?

9. Rey D

Patron

Wow that's some explanation, but I didn't say what I was talking about, sorry. >.<
    Link's sword. One frame has weird looking pixels. the first one starting from up left.

10. Ryuza

Oh, that's just some pixels that got moved by accident, thought I fixed it. :p

Rey D likes this.
  11. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

If I make a Mega Man skin, but I don't do anything with the separate arm graphics, will that be taken care of by Jay and/or Zach? It's quite fiddly, and since I can't test it, I'm not sure exactly how to fit the parts together.

12. Ryuza

Yeah, I'd probably set up the arms if needed.

sbq92 likes this.
  13. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

OH OH
    I GOT AN IDEA
    We make a log-in thingy, and when you log in to ER, you can have a skin of your own! Wouldn't that be great, Omegaman? Maybe we set the sheet to our profile or something. :D

14. BlueJackle

BlueJackle Level 2: Koopa

[​IMG]
    Where does helmetess Mega Man fit in?

15. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

He's a skin.

16. Ryuza

We split "Justin Bailey" Samus and helmet-less Mega Man into skins so people could play as them for the whole game. :)

Mitewing likes this.
  17. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I hope that means characters like Modern Zero Suit Samus and Modern Ryu are also skins. If not someone needs to make them. :)

18. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

I'm very interested in trying to work on some level skins/themes, and I have several Ideas that I think would be fun to do, but I'm curious how backgrounds work for the new system (like those from the All-Stars skins). Would we be able to give you a background image for each theme that would just loop itself?

19. SketchMan3

SketchMan3 Level 3: Paratroopa

Is it possible to make a list of what special weapons each Megaman arm goes with? I made a Megaman Volnutt skin with custom sprites, and I wanted his arm to change into a bazooka, cannon, etc.. based on which weapon he's shooting, rather than using modified versions of the original arm sprites. But I can't tell which arm does what.

Unfortunately, it looks like the metal blade (which I made into the Grenade Arm) and the pharaoh shot (which I made into the Buster Cannon) use the same sprite, so I guess that plan wouldn't work...

20. Rey D

Patron

→ One interesting point from our beloved kyoo is that the password in Metroid is "Just in bailey", "bailey" being a swimsuit or something so. He said that in Current Thoughts. :p

EDIT: On Link's sheet, the big shield is a separate sprite. Does it mean it will appear on the little shield so it looks like it's replaced?