Official Skin Templates

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Ryuza, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

Yeah, they're just guides for animations, you should get rid of them when you make a sheet.

2. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

I feel weird that I'm the only person asking questions XD

Anyways, the mushroom, flower and star are already in the map skins, why is there an extra set for the Mario skins?

And another, what are the two sprites towards the bottom right where Mario is on his back?

3. Protoman22

Protoman22 Level 2: Koopa

may i ask? i'm seeing the raft in Link's template, what exactly will that do in SMBC?

4. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I'd suggested using the raft for swimming before, but that is the Stepladder for crossing gaps. It happens automatically and doesn't require a button.
    [​IMG]

5. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The ladder will be an odd addition to SMBC, but I think it will be a good one. I suppose he has to collect it before he can make use of it, which means crossing single-space gaps will be more "difficult" before he gets it. I wonder, though, does the ladder appear any time Link steps off of a ledge? Does the ladder essentially add an extra square of "ground" for Link?

Like this:
    [​IMG]

This is how it functions in LoZ. Even if you can't get across the gap, it still puts you one square in.

6. Ryuza

We actually don't have the stepladder in yet, I can't remember if Jay was going to set it up this update.

7. sbq92

Ah, okay. Will it function as I have pondered above, or only over small gaps? Or do you know yet?

Also, the trailer mostly shows only Mario skins for the levels. I'm kind of curious about how the Zelda level skins have turned out. If you can share, did you end up mostly using Zelda II, or did you find a way to make LoZ skins work?

8. silentshadowxp

Ryuza, why do you hate answering my questions? XD jk

9. Ryuza

Lol, I keep forgetting. :p

The extra set is just something we did in case we felt like switching it to use those later. The sprites for Mario on his back are for jumping while invincible, they aren't used yet though.

10. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

So the raft's not in yet either?

11. Ryuza

Where do you guys see the raft?

12. Rey D

Patron

*not seeing* The raft's not in. ._.
    But why are there 4 "explosion clouds"? Why not just three?

13. silentshadowxp

Much thanks! :p

14. sbq92

That's how the bombs explode in LoZ.

Rey D likes this.
  15. Ryuza

We hadn't even thought of adding it cause there wouldn't be any real use for it, I didn't think anyone would even mention it.

16. Protoman22

Protoman22 Level 2: Koopa

yea i remember what it did in the original game i just don't understand what purpose would it have in SMBC unless it's supposed to make platforming a bit easier for Link by just setting up the steplatter at the edge of platforms or something

17. silentshadowxp

I'd assume it would be like how Mario can cross one block gaps while running. Maybe this would just fill in those one block gaps so link doesn't have to worry about them.

18. Rey D

Patron

→ Me neither. But Protoman22 somehow have seen it...
    _ _ _ _ _

19. Ryuza

I'm not sure about how the stepladder will act yet. Probably similar to what you guys are thinking though, it'd mostly just be convenient.

As for the map skins, we actually showed all of them in the trailer. We didn't get around to adding map skins for any of the characters, I would like to make a zelda skin but we decided not to add anything else if we can avoid it cause if we keep adding new stuff it'll slow down the update.

I had assumed that you guys would probably have more fun creating the map/theme skins anyway, it might be interesting to start a thread for each character and make the thread specifically for making that character's map/theme skin, you guys did pretty good with the work you had on the MegaMan skin a while back. I had started on one character's skin but I don't think it'll be in this update, maybe though.

sbq92 likes this.
  20. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

The step-ladder would be cool.