Official Skin Templates

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Ryuza, Jan 16, 2012.

1. SketchMan3

SketchMan3 Level 3: Paratroopa

I have a question for the ER staff about the skin templates: Is there a color limit to the palette used in SMBC? Or are all RGB colors acceptable as long as they adhere to the 8-bit/16-bit aesthetic?

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ Flash game = Not limited. But to stay in the mood SMBC gives, you have to be careful when choosing your colors.

3. SketchMan3

Sweet. That means I should probably go back and fix the colors of the skins that I posted and set them back to the original colors. When I was pasting the sprites into the skin templates, the colors were changed to colors that were indexed. So my greys turned to purples, and my greens turned to light blacks.

Then again, there's no point to doing that if they won't be used in the game anyway...

Anyway, thanks for answering the question.

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I would assume that if what is supposed to be an 8-bit sprite has too many colors, Zach will adjust it when he goes to incorporate it into the game.

5. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

That assumption would be correct ;)

8-bit sprites, specifically NES sprites are limited to a total of 3 colors plus 1 transparent color per sprite, we made a few exceptions with stuff like Samus, who comes from a game with dark backgrounds that make her sprite look good even though she has no outline.

I think the max we use on a NES style sprite is around 5. Which was technically possible on the NES by using multiple sprites, like cutting an object in half and using different colors on the halves or by layering two sprites. The old MegaMan games used tricks like that a lot.

Rey D and sbq92 like this.
  6. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Actually, knowing this, I always wondered something. Do Black and White count toward this total?

7. sbq92

Yup. You get three indexed colors and one transparent "color." The indexed colors range from black (0,0,0) to white (255,255,255).

8. Ryuza

I wondered a bit about that too, as far as I know they count towards the total, I could be wrong though.

Ninja'd :p

Anyway, here's a convenient image about nes colors restrictions:
    [​IMG]

Rey D, uglyrodent and sbq92 like this.
  9. sbq92

[​IMG]

That's some pretty useful information! I'll have to save that image for possible use in the future. :)

10. SketchMan3

Yeah. I ususally limit my 8-bit sprites to 4 colors and under. Black outline, skin color, and two tones for clothes. To theoretically keep with the 3 color limit rule, I pretend the black outline is a separate sprite layered under the sprite with the other colors.

If I need 5 colors, I just plead the Megamanth.

sbq92 likes this.
  11. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

So I was making a Banjo skin on Bass for my Banjo skins project thread, and I was hoping you could explain a few sprites and such to me.

[​IMG]

- On the left side, everything between the portrait and where Treble usually is, what do each of those go to? Along with those, what are the four orange/gray circles below the standing still sprites?
    -Are the TC, TJ and TM sprites ever going to be used for Bass, or should I just ignore those?
    - What are the T and B down at the bottom right for the "you have these weapons" sprites?
    - Do you start off with the ability to use Treble Boost or is there a power-up that I'm overlooking that gives it to you?

nickreaper likes this.
  12. Ryuza

The first group of 4 smaller squares is a puff of air type thing that appears above his head when hit, three of them appear, one left, one middle, one right and they all start with the top left frame and animate through to the bottom right frame. If you check in some of the later MegaMan games on the NES you can see how it looks.

The second group of squares is the dust from when you dash/slide.

The jagged lined sprite below that is for the flinch animation as well, he animates back and forth between that and his hurt sprite. You can make it the same as the hurt sprite if you don't want him to do it and it should work.

The 2 frames below that are for enemy death animations. And the orange/gray circles are for his death animation.

You can ignore them for now, we probably won't use them but I didn't remove them cause I didn't want to move anything below it up and cause more work for Jay. They'll likely get replaced if we decide to add more attacks later.

I hadn't decided which would represent Treble Boost yet, I'll update the sheet when I know what I'm gonna use for it, but for now assume the T since its in the first space and whatever I use will be going there. Also, we usually refer to those as weapon icons, or just icons, so you guys can call them that if you want. That way there's a set name for them.

When we do eventually add the Treble Boost it'll be a normal powerup just like the other attacks, so you'll have to collect it out of a block.

Hope all of that helps :)

silentshadowxp likes this.
  13. silentshadowxp

That helped plenty, thanks! I only really need to decide what to do about the death animation sprites and then it's finished for now :)

14. Ryuza

You're welcome, just you guys know I've been updating the first post with all your questions, I've added a bit more info to some of the answers so feel free to check them out.

Also, make sure to point anyone else over to the first post if you happen to see them ask a question that you already know has been answered. :)

roman6a likes this.
  15. silentshadowxp

Will do!

Oh, and before I forget, Is the basic buster shot for Bass to the top left of flame blast? I think that's it but I wanted to make sure.

16. there is no mention' on how you can over lay sprites on top of other sprites. games like "battletoads double dragon" had nonvisible sprites overlaying other sprite. so that they could have up to 8 pallet (really still just 4 but it appears to be 8) although it is another sprite on the screen making limit to how many sprites you can have on the screen one less per scanline) just thought I'd bring that up.

Edit: I only know this because I read about it in gamepro when the game was new on the NES.

aliceandsven and Ganymede like this.
  17. Ryuza

Yeah, they didn't mention anything like that on the image I posted, I guess cause it was a trick dev's came up with, I did mention layering sprites to add extra colors a few posts before that one though. :)

It's a pretty interesting technique, I haven't played that game in so long though, I hadn't even realized they used it in there as well. That sounds like a pretty interesting article though, did they just mention layering sprites or did they actually kind of discuss it a bit?

Edit: Actually now that I think about it that was a long while back, so I'm guessing you probably don't remember the details of the article. :p

狂人さん likes this.
  18. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Were there ever any NES carts that were built with advanced graphic chips that let them do even more?

Like Gimmick! but for graphics instead of sound.

Mitewing likes this.
  19. Ryuza

Surprised to see another person who knows that much about Gimmick! :D

Anyway, I'm not sure if there are any NES games with chips like that, but there were a couple different SNES games with different types of chips used for enhanced effects. This page has a bit of info about them.

If there are any NES games with graphic chips that'd be awesome to check see.

Mitewing likes this.
  20. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Oh I thought Gimmick would be well known these days because of it's exceptional physics and enhanced cart. The internet is crazy man.

It was also ported for american release but I think they took out the sound chip and retitled it Mr. Gimmick.

狂人さん and Mitewing like this.