Skinning Help

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Scorpion42, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

If you want your sprite to look more NESsy, I found this palette for you to use:
    [​IMG]
    Also I think that there is a color limit on each sprite or something. I don't know, I might be wrong.

If you have any other helpful advice or know some useful tools for us skinners: Make a post!

2. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Most NES sprites don't have more than 3 colours on their palette.

3. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

What is this palette from? Is this all of the available colors on the NES?

I am pretty sure NES sprites are generally limited to four colors, one of which is usually a transparent color, and another of which is usually an outline (but not all sprites have an outline). Therefore, each sprite is basically limited to two colors. For example, Bill has flesh and his pants, SOPHIA has white and pink; Samus has red, yellow, and green, but no outline in the original, and Mario has no outline but he has flesh, red, and brown. Mega Man is a special case: his face is actually separate in the NES graphics data, so he gets to have four colors (blue, cyan, flesh, and white) plus outline and transparency.

4. Scorpion42

The palette comes from here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_palettes
    ...where you'll also find other game consoles's palettes.

A good program to use when skinning would be Game Maker. It has built in Sprite and Background/Tile editors with transparency support and lots of helpful tools, most of which you don't even have to register to use.
    You'll find it here:
    http://www.yoyogames.com/make

5. sbq92

I use a program called NeoPaint. I've been using it for more than 15 years now (I began using it in DOS) and it is a great program for working with sprite graphics. It's pretty easy to use, too, although using it probably takes practice (it's difficult for me to tell how hard it is to learn to use because I've simply been using it for so long).

6. Scorpion42

Too bad you have to buy it to use it for more than 30 days. Looks great, though.

7. sbq92

Shoot, that's true. I've been using a "registered" version for quite some time, so I've forgotten the limitations of the unregistered version.

8. Scorpion42

I know most people here hate it, but Microsoft Paint is simple and easy to use, for me at least.

9. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I'm telling you guys, just pirate Adobe Photoshop CS.

If you're going to practice graphic design, even something as simiple as 8-bit imaging, you want to be well equipped and if you're going to be well equipped you might as well not fool around with things like paint.net or whatever. No one is going to come after you. And with those tools available, it may open new avenues for you in the world of graphic design.

10. Scorpion42

NO! NO! NO!

Don't. Even. Think about it.

Captain Knight likes this.