Request Skins: Users have their own skin

Discussion in 'Features' started by Faruga, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I remembered this and realized how much it seemed like Minecraft. I don't think it's been talked about for ages, so I gave it its own thread.
    EDIT: Bit more elaboration.
    So on your Exploding Rabbit profile, you can add one skin per account at once. Upload the file, choose the character, do some other things in a way as simple as possible and find some way to put the skins as possible skins in SMBC itself.

Omicron likes this.
  2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Case by case uploaded skins are complicated in the first place.
    And it was decided there would be none to keep good quality skins for SMBC and not having random crappy skins.
    Besides, so much complications would be recquired to make a concrete link between SMBC and the forums.

3. Faruga

Patron

Yeah, I know they're complicated, but I think they might be do-able. They can make crappy skins, but only they will be able to see them. Maybe they'll be visible if multiplayer is in though.

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

You do realize that this is essentially just requesting user-uploaded skins, right? Something we're already not doing. It doesn't matter if it's 1 skin or 100 skins, SMBC isn't set up for it, and likely won't be.

uglyrodent and Rey D like this.
  5. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

It shouldn't be too hard to add simple things... i did this so easily on Game Maker... Flash is full of oddities.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  6. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

lol flash.

7. The Kips of the Mud

The Kips of the Mud Level 3: Paratroopa

Or maybe users could have their own skin?

8. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

I do believe that is what the title says.

9. The Kips of the Mud

Ok, maybe you can EDIT skins!

10. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

That's still custom skins for the users.

In fact you can already edit the skins in the game, you just can't add them to the game.

11. The Kips of the Mud

Ok. ABANDON THREAD!

12. Faruga

Patron

You mean with a decompiler?
    It has a preloader, separate from the SWF itself. I always wondered how those guys at TCRF got hold of it.

13. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

The problem is that (I assume) SMBC stores skins with additional data. The SMW skin is a prime example of the oddities involved. This data format probably has to be compiled with a separate program or even by hand, and this makes it impossible for the game to simply load a PNG file and use it right away. For that to happen, this additional data would have to be included somehow, either by text files or pixel dotcodes, and the game would have to be changed to not only have a way to process raw images into something useable but also to allow for dynamic allocation of this skin format and associated data. Every solution there is for this is very cumbersome, specially for Flash. Too much work is required to change it.

Just for the sake of something, this is all assumptions.

uglyrodent and Faruga like this.