Small Additions To Make The Game Better

Discussion in 'Features' started by Captain Rizer, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Here is little addition. It is so small that it could come in to the top 10 most ridiculously smallest additions of SMBC.
    So anyways I noticed that when you play Single Character Random the randomly picked character also always have a randomly picked skin too! That's great just the way I would want it BUT I would like to be able to select a character with a random skin on the character select screen too! There are multiple possibilities how could it be done like select the character with Special/C button or hold select while selecting a character or even select a character with the select button and etc. I would surely enjoy such a tiny little feature in the game!

Frozsoul and Faruga like this.
  2. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

I believe this has been requested previously, however I think you're the first to suggest an optional way to randomize the skin as well, which is a very sound idea. For me personally, it would occasionally be nice to randomize the skins, but I usually like to set all of my skins before selecting a random character. The option to have both ways would be nice.

Edit: I found the request thread, and it was made by me. :p I'm a bit surprised that I had originally suggested always having the skins randomized, since that's not how I feel now. Anyway, it provides further discussion on the issue.

3. Ya Dad

Ya Dad Level 1: Goomba
    Patron

4. Adding the Castlevania 2 sound effect when whipping a monster as C2 Simon (don't know if this is possible to assign sound effects to different skins)

5. Flame whip sound effect as C2 Simon (again, don't know if this is possible)

TheomanZero likes this.
  4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I'd like these too, if possible.
    As for the shooting on vines thing, it wouldn't be important now, but it might once the level editor gets in. Apart from that though, it's a small thing that would make the game more faithful and it wouldn't hurt anything, so there's no reason not to do it.

Frozsoul likes this.
  5. Uarux

Uarux Level 1: Goomba

I think it would be nice if Simon could be able to attack upwards.

6. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I would kind of like the Water Shield to do a bit more damage. As it is right now, I haven't found any reason to use it over any of the other weapons. I've been practicing the levels for some runs I plan to record, and I try to utilize most of the weapons, but I just can't find a use for Water Shield. Considering you have to be right up close to an enemy for it to hurt them, it ought to do a bit more damage. It can't even protect against falling Spinies, which is something it would be perfect for if it were to deal more damage.

As a side note, I haven't found a practical use for Super Arm, either, but it sure is a fun addition to SMBC. :)

7. TheomanZero

I generally use it on Cheep Cheep Bridge levels, if I have it. It might not work as well on higher difficulties.

8. sbq92

I used to use it on the bridge levels, but it became too unreliable, so I just use charged Pharaoh Shot now.

9. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Super Arm DESTROYS any Bowser that has bricks near him.

sbq92 likes this.
  10. sbq92

I'd like to practice this. I have a hard time aiming the bricks and successfully hitting Bowser head on with enough of them to kill him with them.

11. sbq92

Sorry for the double post, but I have some additional thoughts on improving Water Shield.

As a defensive weapon (it's got "shield" in the name), it honestly doesn't do a very good job at stopping things that are coming your way. It's okay, but it could be better. I do still think it should deal a bit more damage, at least one-shotting Goombas, but I also realize it may be too powerful if it can do that. But in any case, I think it should be able to stop projectiles, like it does in MM10. Being able to stop hammers and Bowser's fire breath (pretty much the game's only projectiles) would give it a lot more usefulness overall, rather than simply being a fun yet unreliable shield weapon.

uglyrodent likes this.
  12. mariodude1sonicman2

mariodude1sonicman2 Level 0: Newbie

THE ABILITY TO HOLD MORE THAN 1 FIRE FLOWER :fire: AS MARIO OR LUIGI LIKE IN SUPER MARIO WORLD PLEASE !!!!!!!! ALSO ADD THE SUPER FEATHER FROM SUPER MARIO WORLD + GIVE BILL THE FALCON INSTEAD OF THE SUPER STAR

13. roman6a

roman6a Level 8: Hammer Bro

writing in all caps doesn't help at all to get your features included, just in case you need to know
    infact any kind of fonts of big or smaller letter doesn't even matter at all.

also welcome to the forums, have you read the INFO FOR NEWCOMERS? i suggest you do (red letters are clicky)

now coming into the topic, i'd think it's better the "B" powerup instead of the falcon since on the original contra that powerup grants invincibility.

14. TheomanZero

This is definitely a "small addition", but I'm not sure if it would "make the game better" -- I'd like to collect some other people's opinions on this.
    In Super Mario All-Stars, the only change made to level layouts in SMB was to add an extra block above the exit in water levels (comparison screenshots below:)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The reason for this change was to prevent a glitch caused by Mario getting stuck in that small space. Note that this extra block also appeared in SMB2J's water levels, even in the Famicom version.
    The question is, should we add this extra block to SMBC? I wouldn't have even considered this before the SMAS skin was added for 2.0, but it could be considered a sort of "canonical update" to SMB's level design, and it will be more consistent when the Lost Levels are added. On the other hand, it was added to avoid a glitch, and I don't think that glitch exists in SMBC.
    So, what does everyone think? (And don't say "make it an option" -- this is way too minor to justify that.)

uglyrodent likes this.
  15. sbq92

Perhaps someone (I might right now) should check and see if the glitch occurs in SMBC. If it doesn't, then we could leave it as is. Otherwise, I'm all for the change. :)

Frozsoul and roman6a like this.
  16. Mew

Mew Level 2: Koopa

Well, as mentionned it was added to counter a glitch. If this glitch is not present in SMBC, then the change is not required.

But still, you make a good point that it's a canonical level update. So the question here is... should the level layout be kept true to the original (complete with the flaw) or have the SMAS update?

On my side, I'm neutral ; I see the value of both and due to the lack of the glitch, I can see this point being kept.

17. sbq92

I just tested it out with Mario and Samus (the only two characters for whom it would be a problem--Luigi functions the same as Mario) and the glitch doesn't occur. I remember it now in the original, if you crouched as Mario and then started swimming, his sprite box registered as the smaller crouched size, so he could squeeze into the opening above the pipe, then you could stop crouching and he'd slip into the wall. SMBC functions differently, though, and the swimming sprite box is always the same size. As for Samus, she can't unmorph when she's in a small area.

So, no glitch means it doesn't have to be changed. However, the question still remains: should it be changed? I'm with Mew on this one--I'm rather indifferent. I don't care if it doesn't get changed, and I'll support the change if it does occur.

roman6a likes this.
  18. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I think we shouldn't add the block on the basis that if it were added in later versions of the game, it should be confined to them (i.e. the LL water levels should have it, since they did, but the SMB1 ones should not, because they didn't).

HOWEVER, people don't really every go into that slot do they? I mean, you CAN, but it's rare that people do. I submit that the SMAS skin have that block added as part of the background if possible, thereby appearing as if to be from the SMAS version. The glitch won't be avoided, as there is no glitch to avoid, and we get an accurate appearance.

roman6a likes this.
  19. blackjack021

blackjack021 Level 2: Koopa

Another request I can't believe hasn't been requested yet. An addition to make Ryu much more usable, especially against Bowser. Give him the orange ninja clone powerup. I realize that'd probably be pretty hard to code, but I think it would be essential to balancing him with the others, since his powerups are so resource-intensive for such little damage. I never even use Ryu on Bowser fights because there's just no way to reliably do enough damage with powerups and you can't really get close enough to sword or you just get fireballed.

20. TheomanZero

This idea was brought up, among other things, here:
    http://www.explodingrabbit.com/forum/threads/more-items-for-ryu.14467/