Official SMB Special vs. Lost Levels

Discussion in 'Game' started by Ryuza, Mar 29, 2012.

?

Which stages would be easier for us to add?

1. SMB Special

33 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. Lost Levels

45 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

Hello everyone! :D

Most of you probably know by now that we've been considering adding the stages from SMB Special and Lost Levels by now so we thought we'd ask your opinions on something. We want to know which stages you guys think we should add first. Also, SMB Special is normally broken up into multiple screens per stage but if we were to add it it would be a full scrolling stage and the graphics would match smb.

We were hoping you guys could compare the games and see which one would be easier and what kind of work would be needed for each one. When I say adding the stages I also mean any additional features from the games so things like wind in Lost Levels or powerups and enemies in SMB Special so take that into consideration as you discuss them.

So, feel free to discuss anything you can think of about adding these stages to the game. :)

Edit by Mr. Bunny: We're asking you this not to discuss which levels you want to see in the game, but which ones will actually be easier for us to add. You should compare how different they are than SMBC and how much modification it'd be to add them. Thanks.

Crownjo likes this.
  2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I guess Lost Levels, as it's the only one I've seen clear pictures of, and as it's the sequel to SMB, is more interesting in my opinion.

EDIT: Also, Jay mentioned that game whereas he hasn't talked about SMB Special, so I guess that should come first.

3. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

SMB Special would require massive reformulation because of the original lack of scrolling. And the only big issue about LL is the wind.

4. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

No it wouldn't. All you have to do is see the build for each screen, and then build each part into one big scrolling level.

I gotta support SMB Special just for having the bonus powerups and being a bit more obscure then LL, which I feel would give players familiar with SMB and even LL something really new to look forward to.

Crownjo, TiagoDu and Mitewing like this.
  5. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

6. Omicron

SMB:S doesn't provide any challenge. It's actually easier than SMB if you look at it.
    But you have a very good point about the freshness.

7. Omegaman

Omegaman Level 6: Lakitu

I'm going with Lost Levels, because they wouldn't have to program a lot of new tiles.
    In Special, there are recolors everywhere.

8. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

I've played LL plenty of times, i want something new and that i've never played before, this is why i voted SMBS
    LL is cool but SMBS was a game with high potential. The only problem was the lack of processing power that made the game look and behave crappy. In SMBC we could play the levels just like they would be if it was a NES game with SMB physics
    EDIT: SHIT! I didn't see the "easier" part. but now that i'm thinking, i think SMBS would be actually easier to program. LL has a lot of near-impossible jumps and many alterations to the maps would have to be done if they were added.

Mitewing likes this.
  9. Omicron

I wonder why they chose that obscure hardware. Maybe they were planning to port it later?

Anyway, LL is another attractive to the game. Most people ignore the existence of SMB:S. The name sounds like a random rom hack.

uglyrodent likes this.
  10. 1337star

1337star Level 2: Koopa

I'm assuming Lost Levels would be the easier of the two. The only challenge with it is figuring out how to make all the jumps workable for all the characters. Special has new enemies and new power-ups (at least one of which, the Hammer, will require custom sprites for most characters to use I'm dumb, disregard this).

11. Mitewing

So which will be harder to program? The wind, the green spring, and slightly different physics of LL or the new powerups and enemies of SMBS? I personally think the Hammer should be a Mario Bros exclusive powerup since it's iconic to Mario ever since Donkey Kong.

There would be no need for recolors unless you want them. The colors on SMBS are because of the hardware it was originally made for. It didn't have as many colors as the NES.

EDIT: Based on the number of worlds, SMBS would be easier. It has 8. LL has 13.

However, adding LL would make adding VS and All Night Nippon easier on the long run.

Anyway, I voted for SMBS.

12. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

I picked Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan) Thing is that it shouldn't be too hard to add. Besides it's more official.

The other can come later.

13. Mitewing

Both are official Nintendo games. The only difference is SMBS was developed by Hudson for the PC.

14. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I don't know, but I'm assuming LL will require fucking tons of playtesting and you'll basically have to redesign all the levels to accomodate every character.

I say this because it was made specifically to push the limit's of MARIO AND LUIGIs mechanics. The japanese sub-title is "For Super Players" and you only need play it for a few levels for this to be evident. Just imagine having to playtest every level with every character and then think of how you can possibly accomodate every single level to every character without mutilating the game.

If Special isn't as much of a Super Player-tier game as LL, it will probably be a less intense project. On the flip side there are new enemies / powerups that need to be coded (if you're even going to make these in the first place).

Plus it would be interesting to finally see a version of Special that isn't complete shit.

Omicron, Crownjo and Mitewing like this.
  15. coolman

coolman Level 5: Spiny

I voted SMBS because...I don't know.I don't know a lot of thing about this game and I want to discover it.

Crownjo and Mitewing like this.
  16. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

If SMB Special is picked I won't get mad.

Mitewing likes this.
  17. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Wait a moment............if we choose one, the other one can still be added on the future, right?

18. coolman

coolman Level 5: Spiny

Yes.The choosen will be only the one added first.

19. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

This is what I was thinking also. I've played through both games although I don't remember them all that well. I do remember LL having tons of crazy jumps though. Would SMB Special require a lot of testing to make sure it works for all characters or would it probably just work?

Changing colors for SMB Special is no big deal because of our awesome skinning system. And the new enemies and power ups are very basic so it's no big deal. It seems to me that SMBS would be easier than LL, but we made this thread to see if anyone had ideas we hadn't considered that'd make it harder.

And yes both will be added eventually, but Zach was thinking about building the levels while I port the game. So we were trying to decide which one to do.

20. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

The only issue I see with SMBS is the custom enemies and objects. You'd have to make hammer animations for every single character, plus port the Mario Bros/DK enemies to all the skin sets.

Other than that, though, LL is harder because of playtesting.

I'd definitely rather see SMBS, though.