Official SMB Special vs. Lost Levels

Discussion in 'Game' started by Ryuza, Mar 29, 2012.

?

Which stages would be easier for us to add?

1. SMB Special

33 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. Lost Levels

45 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

So has a decision been made officially by Jay and ER crew regarding which one will be added first? Also, I thought I read that new levels will be the focus of the next major update.

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Decision: Blaine gets rejected from the rest of the group to work on SMBC.

3. Mitewing

Rejected is probably too strong a word. Lol.

4. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

Well like me and many others have said before SMBS would be easier though SMBLL would be more familiar.

SMBS
    Multiple new enemies
    New powerups for Mario/Luigi
    I believe 8 new worlds

SMBLL
    Two new enemies Red Piranah Plant and Fake Bowser
    New powerup Poison Mushroom
    New spring board Green
    14 New worlds
    Wind affect
    Bigger gaps that require more extra platforms for certain characters

So SMBLL would take a lot more work most likly if not equal than SMBS.

5. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Just wanted to point out that Red Piranha Plants are already in the game, in Very Hard mode.

6. mitsymckenzie777

OK My bad thanks for letting me know. Fake Bowser is just a recolor too I think.

Edit:But still that leaves 5 things vs 3 things.

7. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Holy crap that's awesome!

TheomanZero likes this.
  8. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

So I had been wondering about something. Maybe some people not noticed but in Lost Levels if you stomp on an enemy Mario and Luigi bounce up quite higher then in regular Super Mario Bros. That is mainly because Lost Levels have parts where you have bounce from enemy to enemy to pass over some pits. I am kind of curious how could that be solved in SMBC? What do you guys think?

9. Mitewing

An option for SMB1 and SMB2 physics. Whichever game you play would have its corresponding physics selected by default, but you could change it in the menu.

mitsymckenzie777 likes this.
  10. mitsymckenzie777

But still it's a matter of what's easier to add hundreds of platforms,Wind effect, Green Springboards and the physics to match,Poison Mushroom and 14 new worlds and how they might work. Being it goes 1 to 8 9 is individual and A to D with a Princess at the end of 8 and D. I myself think 9 should be a cheat on level select menu and 1 to 8 should be separate from A to D like in game select...
    Please select game​
    Super Mario Bros.​
    Super Mario Bros. 2 Lost Levels​
    Super Mario Bros. 2 Lost Levels A-D​
    Or make Super Mario Bros. Special which may be easier or harder depending on how long it would take for multiple new enemies/powerups. But only 8 Worlds. So which is easier depends on what Jay might find easier.​
    But I also think SMBS could use a more accurate remake that makes it more like SMB and SMBLL while still retaining the SMBS feel extra enemies and powerups without the lag of the screen by screen gameplay.​

11. Urutsune

Actually the new enemies and powerups has been said by Jay that they are no big deal. So yeah SMBS really looks to be way easier job.

I am very curious how the new enemies will be treated. Like sidesteppers are basically pretty much like spinies, you can't jump on them. But should they be the completely same thing? I say no. It could be made to be slightly different, maybe the easiest way is to make it have more health. Mario and Luigi still kills it in one hit but for the other characters it is a whole different challenge. You get the idea, if it is done clever it will affect even the other characters too. I would really love it just for all the possibilities. And I did not even talked about the new powerups!

12. Mitewing

One other thing they will need for Special. They will also have to redo the Map and Enemy Skin Templates. That may take as much time as programming physics. But whatever the case, I hope Special us released first. It was actually released months before SMB2J.

13. Urutsune

Well that is just allways a thing to do if you add more stuff in. Possibly not as hard as it sounds, I bet it is bigger challenge to pick skins for new enemies for the Zelda and other non Mario game themes. It most likely has to be done for Lost Levels too because of the poison mushroom since Mario powerups are skinned together with the stage.

14. Mitewing

Yeah. All of the Lost Levels stuff are already in the templates.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  15. mitsymckenzie777

I'd say if possible without harming the 8 bit Zelda 2 concept make the leaves in the wind rain. Being rain has for the most part been the mainstay weather option in the Zelda universe since Link to the Past.

If SMBLL has to be added first.

EDIT:
    I got Zelda 2 covered.
    Barrels Skull.gif
    Icicles Ache.gif
    Side Steppers Octoroc - Red.gif
    Fighter Flies Deeler - Red.gif
    Fire Wizard.gif

Anon421 and Mitewing like this.
  16. Mitewing

One possibility is that all of the new SMB Special powerups will be exclusive to the Mario Bros. That would kinda suck, but that may prevent the need of redoing the Map Skins. The enemy skins would still have to be redone though.

17. mitsymckenzie777

Or the Hammer could be random powerups for characters other than Mario and Luigi. The others wouldn't be too complicated though.
    The Hudson Bee just gives 8000 Points
    Clock only gives 100 more to the timer
    Wing could give temporary underwater physics Mario/Luigi swim in air as described on the SMBS wiki,Other characters besides Sophia III and maybe Bass get high jump as if underwater and Sophia III gets hover power if not picked up...Bass could get Trebble Boost maybe.
    Lucky Star just kills all enemies on screen.

18. Mitewing

If anything I think the Hammer should be an exclusive Mario Bros powerup while everyone can use everything else.

19. mitsymckenzie777

You mean remove it altogether unless your Mario or Luigi cause I had a similar idea only there would still be an item there just not the hammer. It would be a random powerup such as your playing as Link it would be an arrow,bomb,boomerang.ECT. But Mario and Luigi always gets the hammer.

But it's mainly up to how Jay wants things to be anyways and both our ideas are fine either way.

20. Mitewing

Good choices for the skins. Now all that's needed is Blaster Master.