Official SMB Special vs. Lost Levels

Discussion in 'Game' started by Ryuza, Mar 29, 2012.

?

Which stages would be easier for us to add?

1. SMB Special

33 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. Lost Levels

45 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Actually in Super Mario All Stars the wind makes leafs rain, so I think what you wish for might be very possible to do.

Well the hammer is kinda like invincibility so the others could maybe just find a star there. I don't think it is much of a problem.

mitsymckenzie777 likes this.
  2. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

This was a lot harder and I don't know if these would work right haven't played much Blaster Master but...

Barrels Barrel.png
    Icicles Icicle.png
    Side Steppers Sidesteppers.png
    Fighter Flies Fighter Flies.png
    Fire Fire.png

3. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

For some reason I still want to be able to play World 9 over and over again...
    As said by Foxfiend, the hammer is more akin to a temporary powerup like the Starman. I'd still prefer it to work for all characters, although I can see why it wouldn't.
    It was originally meant to enable continues or something.

Mitewing likes this.
  4. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

I had that Idea once but it was shot down but it could still work that way...
    Go to level select to choose world 9 and it endlessly loops everytime you reach the end of 9-4 you go to 9-1.
    Yea I never got a chance to respond to that but it could work.
    Yea but I got my info on SMBS wiki site and it said 8000 points might as well leave it that way being SMBC has unlimited continues.

5. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

A hardcore mode for SMBC would be pretty neat, though.

The map skin sheet needs to be changed to support the individual worlds' Toads for a All Night Nippon skin, too. Or make a new Toad sheet, which seems like a silly idea, though, but perhaps could actually save some coding time.

6. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Hmm, that could potentially lead to the SMAS Toad animations . . .

Scorpion42 likes this.
  7. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I must ask. Does the level editor allow for transferring specific levels to other level slots or do you have to make backup saves in order to reuse the same level. I ask this because if Lost Levels is being made first then VS and All Night Nippon can be easily added since they reuse slightly edited versions of levels from both the Lost Levels and the original.

So 3 sets of levels for 1 completely new set sounds appealing. Hopefully, though Special is added at the same time along with the others so everyone is happy.

TheomanZero likes this.
  8. Superjustinbros

Superjustinbros Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

A nod on the Hammer.

As I stated in the other thread about SMBS, once the Hammer's effects run out, Mario/Luigi drop it directly on top of themselves, where it can be re-collected an additional two times as long as it's not inside a wall.

The Wing in SMBS has a very short time limit; it only seems to work for approx. 2 screens before the game takes it away from you, which I find is not enough to get the full extent of the Wing's ability.

9. Mitewing

Good to know the Hammer has a limited number of times it can be picked up in a row. The wing may need it's time extended. How about the same duration as the Star or is that still not enough?

Superjustinbros likes this.
  10. Superjustinbros

Wings should last twice (maybe thrice) the time of a Starman.

I also thought it'd be good to be able to store the power of the Lucky Star so you can use it whenever, therefore you can bring it to an area infested by enemies, just like in Vectorman with it's Overkill powerup. Or would that be sticking too far from the source?

I doubt Hudson ever had intended to make the Hachisuke (bee) give a continue upon pickup. If they did, then it wouldn't be giving a free 8,000 points.

A big tip to anyone playing the PC88 version of SMBS on the M88 emulator; go into the Configure menu, open up the second tab from the left and change the top setting from 1:3(20Hz) to 1:1(60Hz). This'll make the game run a bit smoother, but you'll still have to deal with some of the cheap tricks like dropping a lift just to get a platform to appear two screens later (which believe me, I do not want said trick in the Special maps when they get into in SMBS). Then again, you can always play the Sharp X1 version; but I'm most familiar with the PC88 version since it's the one Mr. Podoboo played through.

Scorpion42, Mitewing and MissingNo2 like this.
  11. TheomanZero

themushroomkingdom.net just posted level maps of The Lost Levels, including accurate starting points for all enemies and moving platforms. This could be helpful for implementing LL.
    http://themushroomkingdom.net/maps/smb2j

12. Mitewing

The site also has maps for VS SMB and ANN SMB.

13. TheomanZero

(looks at maps) Man, Vs. and ANN are crazy.

Mitewing likes this.
  14. Superjustinbros

By now I'd say I don't really care much for VS and All Night Nippon's levels. VS is just the original SMB with changed item locations and some LL levels in place of duplicate levels in the original, and ANN is the above but with a different item configuration, LL's graphics, and four bonus worlds of LL levels.

For me, Special also sort of lost it's initial appeal for a number of reasons:
    *Both 1-1 and 1-2: If you decide not to take the pipes into the respective bonus areas, the areas to follow are severely lacking in enemies, especially 1-2. In certain parts, 3-1 and 3-2 were this as well, and don't get me started on Bullet Bills...
    *4-2 felt very short.
    *4-4 has no enemies, and the "HUDSON" block arrangement before Bowser IMO wasn't really needed.
    *Once you get the maze pattern down, 7-4 is pretty easy.
    Other levels will either have enemies in very low numbers or level designs that go beyond the limit of the original game, such as having ground tiles above the bottom two rows, underwater tiles being used on aboveground levels, or pipes that faced right, as in SMBS' 3-2.

Though with all that, I still do like SMBS and would love to see it ported into SMBC so it can be at least enjoyed without crippled controls and movement.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  15. TheomanZero

I think the main argument for including Vs and ANN is that it would be easy, at least compared to Special and LL.

16. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

A "random" option would basically be the same thing anyways, as neither even bring all that much new to the table.

17. Superjustinbros

SuperMarioBrosSpecialNESItemsReduxColors.png
    The items and enemies from SMBS with SMB1 palettes.

18. Mitewing

I hope we get an official announcement for the new levels and their progress soon.

19. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Where did you get these? I haven't seen the forming icicle before, and in a video of the game, the icicle is just there--fully formed--and falls. Also, does the Sidestepper actually have his angry form in SMBS?

ThomasMink and Mitewing like this.
  20. Superjustinbros

They're form Wario Bros.' custom sprite sheet. (they can be found on MFGG) However I made versions that only stuck to the palettes of SMB.

*I added in the icicles' forming sprites since it'd be a bit odd just to watch it drop the instant you enter the level, and it'd allow for the icicles to re-spawn after they fall.
    *in SMBS, Sidesteppers are basically reskinned Spinies; there because naturally Spinies were never programed to be in without a Lakitu to drop them. And like Spinies, they die in one hit. So here we just decided to give them an extra hit point against fireballs and block-hits from below, speeding them up in the process.
    *Barrels and Trouble Bugs are basically identical to each other performance-wise in SMBS, but we couldn't make Trouble Bugs turn around on a ledge as it'd break levels such as 7-1 and 8-2.
    *We need to see if there is a "Time 100" graphic that appears upon picking up the Clock item in 8-2.

A miscellaneous note: in 3-4 with the arrangement of the one invisible block that comes after the first two Barrels of the level, it is possible to trap yourself with a projectile-based character by revealing the lower Invisible block before traveling down there, therefore forcing a painful suicide from a nearby Firebar.
    SMBS34trapblock.gif

MissingNo2 likes this.