Request SMB2USA Skins Improvements/Suggestions

Discussion in 'Features' started by Mitewing, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

If SMBC is ever updated again, I have a couple of suggestions for the SMB2USA related skins.

1. Replace Blooper with Phanto! I think this goes without saying. He needs to be represented as an Enemy, and not as the Toad replacement for the SMB2USA character skins. I also recommend replacing Toad with a Hoopster on a very short vine to make this possible.

2. Another idea to represent as many enemies as possible is replace the green Piranha Plant with Pokey. I'm not sure if these ideas are possible, but I'm just throwing them out there.

EDIT: Yay for me for creating the 2,000th Discussion in the SMBC section!!!

2. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

The Blooper's erratic movements are very difficult to fit on any other enemy, and Phanto is definitely not one of the ones that works.
    I'm not certain on why you keep seeing Pokeys and Cobrats to be similar.

3. Mitewing

Both enemies fly around the screen although in different patterns. Phanto is about the same size as SML2's Blooper so it would fit just fine.

They're similar in the fact they're tall, slim enemies. Plus, Pokeys are green and Cobrats are red, mirroring the different Piranha Plants.

4. MissingNo2

The Blooper's pattern is incredibly specific and jagged, whereas the Phanto is much more fluent, so it'd be incredibly jarring. There just isn't many enemies that don't look squid-like that make the pattern look natural to them.
    But I doubt that the Pokeys ever came out of jars in the game.

5. Mitewing

Not every skin that replaces an enemy acts 100% the same as they do in their original game. The fact is Phantos most closely resembles Bloopers. Also while Pokeys never were in pots in SMB2, I never recalled Pidgets throwing Porcupos in SMB2 either.

6. MissingNo2

Notice how every single skin in the game has the sprite for Bloopers be a squid or some other tentacled life form.
    The thing is that's really the only thing that works well with the animations.

7. Mitewing

It doesn't have to be tentacled life form. The second animation frame could simply be Phanto's eyes lighting up. This would easily show the Blooper's pattern.

8. MissingNo2

Except in practice, it doesn't look right. I can demonstrate it right now if I wanted to.

9. Mitewing

Go right ahead.

Edit: After watching a video, Phanto completely flashes, not just his eyes. So the second sprite would simply change color.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  10. MissingNo2

phanto-test.gif

ThomasMink and Mitewing like this.
  11. Mitewing

I don't see a problem if the second frame is Phanto flashing, as I mentioned in my edited post.

12. Starz Lol

Starz Lol Level 5: Spiny

What about that Gold Mario Statue from BS SMB2?

13. MissingNo2

The palette available for Phanto wouldn't allow it, if we plan to be accurate here.

14. Starz Lol

Anyways...

Cherry would fit more as a Red Coin rather than a Hudson Bee. The Hudson Bee should be replaced with the Gold Mario Statue from BS SMB2, like I said earlier.

15. Mitewing

How so?

16. MissingNo2

Didn't you just say to make the eyes flash? That requires four colors.

17. Mitewing

I was wrong. The entire sprite flashes. And again I mentioned while it's nice for everything to be as accurate as possible, it's not 100% possible at all times. A single color change is efficient enough, IMO.

@Starz Lol
    The cherry is fine as is. The red coin is not currently used and the statue only appeared in a special version of the game, while cherries appeared in all versions.

18. Starz Lol

This makes more sense.png

Well, it DESERVED to be the Hudson Bee anyways.

19. Mitewing

20. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I like the idea of using the golden Mario statue, but it's only in the 16-bit version, and I think it could be confusing if Cherries were Red Coins in one skin and the Hudson Bee in another.