SMBC Auto-Tiler

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Ryuza, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

I suppose I could toss together a tutorial at some point, its not too complicated though.

Just replace the tiles in the ctiles.png file with the ones you think fit best and load up the program, from there its just trial and error to see what does and doesn't look good.

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

This would be sweet! Probably still a bit complicated, so the retiling is probably still preferable, but this would be an awesome alternative, and it would definitely allow for some more complex level skins.

This would be great. It still means coming up with single-tile graphics, however, which might very well mean some graphical editing. I'm not opposed to graphical editing, it just takes more time than would be desired. However, if it's necessary for making this work, then it will need to be done. :)

3. Ryuza

I actually was thinking more about the overlay idea and realized that tile swapping is better in the long run. If Jay ever decided to add levels or change levels for any reason he'd have to redo the overlay for each skin.

Anyway, I'm gonna update the Auto-Tiler with those edge fixes and a few other small fixes that need to be done, I checked out your tileset in the MM thread and realized there were some graphical problems with the AT. I'll have it fixed and updated pretty soon though.

4. sbq92

That sounds good. I'm curious about these graphical problems, though. I don't recall anything looking "off."

I have another suggestion for the Tiler, but it's not really a necessary addition, just one that would be nice. The Tiler doesn't preview every type of level. There are three different platform levels, but it only previews one, and it doesn't preview the underwater castle level. I suppose perhaps there could be options in the platform and underwater previews to view the different platform types and the underwater castle type. At your leisure, though. You mentioned before that it took a long time to set up the tiles for the two-tile pattern previews, so if adding more previews takes time, either take your time doing it, or don't do it at all. :p

Actually, on the topic of previews, the two-tile pattern previews don't have all the other stage elements, only the basic ground. As mentioned above, I know it takes time, so don't feel like you have to do it. But, if would be nice if you had the time to put the previews together. :)

One final thing: whenever you update the Auto-Tiler, will the link on the first page be updated as well?

5. Ryuza

The problem with the other tiles disappearing during pattern mode was the graphical problem I was talking about, I fixed it in this update, I also added the edge tiles where they were needed and packed it all together with your MM tileset as an example.

Auto-Tiler

Also, whenever I post an update I update the first post with that update, I originally updated all my other posts that had I link but I decided to stop doing that cause it was too time consuming :p

Oh, and referring to the previews for other stages, I may include them later but it takes a ton of tiling to add a preview stage so I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

Check it out, and thats just part of it, lol.

6. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

When I use the Auto-Tiler it doesn't show anything except the ground and a couple of other things (like the coral in the underwater preview). There are supposed to be blocks and stuff right?

7. Ryuza

Thats weird, could you show me a screenshot?

Did you already know you could scroll though the stages with left/right?

8. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I misunderstood when you said scrolling; I thought it scrolled between examples for some reason.
    Thanks.

9. Ryuza

No problem :)

10. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Don't get too worried about how I'm going to make the skins work in the game. Just make the skins how you want and I'll do my best to get it into the game. We start broad and work our way down to what is possible. But so far I haven't seen anything that I don't think I can do. And animation will not be a problem.

11. Blardow6

Blardow6 Level 1: Goomba

Excellent idea!! all though do you have any place for just plain random reskins?? also
    yes, but the old Mario games only have it flash, and Super Mario Crossover is 8-bit so all comes to somewhat off topic only make tile-sets 8-bit Edit : I meant a place on the FORUMS

12. Ryuza

This topic is for any random skins for characters that aren't in the game:
    Artistic Reskins

13. c2456

c2456 Level 6: Lakitu

Need tutorial for it !

14. Ryuza

Press F1 while in the program to open a help document, it should explain how to do everything.

15. Razorrebel

Razorrebel Level 1: Goomba

Is there a tutorial or something on how 2 do this cuz i dnt understand how to change it from mario 2 megaman :( can you play it like that after u skin it or is it just for jay 2 develop 1.3?

16. sbq92

You can't actually play with the skins yet. The Auto-Tiler was developed to help us get an idea of how various skins would look on the SMB levels. Skins are going to be implemented in the next update, though, which Jay and Ryuza have been working hard at. Sit tight, and you'll get your skins eventually! :)

17. ItsaMeMartin

ItsaMeMartin Level 1: Goomba

Yes, in the normal game they would be palette changes repeating(BTW there's 4 frames not 3). But Flash doesn't have that kind of thing, so I bet the game uses 4 different sprites. It would cycle like this:
    Normal colors
    Darker colors
    Darkest colors
    Darker colors
    Then repeat.

18. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Any chance of a new version?

19. ΗΜ100

ΗΜ100 Level 2: Koopa

This link is doesn't work. Could you give me another link?