Smbc Development Update

Discussion in 'Game' started by Jay, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Hey guys, I haven't been on the forums much for a month or something, but I wanted to stop by and give an update. Development for the game has been off and on over the last few months. I started out strong, then hit a bit of an overwhelmed phase and had to take a break for a while. Then I came back and downward thrusted all those mofos, and things are progressing very smoothly once again. I now have all the big problems solved, so it looks like I'll be able to do everything I wanted with this update.

As most of you know, the main feature in this update is the skins. Everything in the game is skinnable except the Exploding Rabbit Logo, so everything you can see you can change with a sprite sheet. There are 4 different types of skins in the game, and each can be set separately or simultaneously. The 4 types are enemies, map, interface, and character, with each character having a separate sheet.

You're gonna feel like you're playing a different game every time you change the skin. The update will most likely come with three map/enemy/interface skins, and three or four skins for each character. I have most of them in right now and it's trippy, especially when you mix and match skins. I think this is going to be a monumental update because I don't know of any other games that have skinning features like this. Once this update is released, I'm pretty sure people are gonna make skins like crazy, so the next update will have a lot more. I'd really like to have the update out sometime in May, and I think I can do it.

I'll keep checking this thread, so let me know if you guys have any questions. Of course, I still want to keep a few things secret, even though there is very little being added besides the skins. By the way, I think this will be the most mind-blowing update so far. It's difficult to comprehend how awesome the skins are until you see them in action. Personally, I've never been this excited about an update. And it's fun to have something new besides a character.

This has also been the most challenging update so far. I couldn't even comprehend programming something like this a year ago.

2. jerry

jerry Level 6: Lakitu

So what you are saying is we aren't getting a new character?

Kiddin', this sounds fucking awesome. Gunna skin the shit out of everything.

3. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

As always, thanks for the development update Jay! I have no doubt the new skins will be extremely awesome and I'm completely psyched that the next SMBC update could be coming out as early as May!!

Regarding the next SMBC update, I do have a couple of questions for you:

1. Will the next update address any of the bugs identified in the Wiki?

2. Will the next update include any other new features? A bit selfishly, I was hoping that the next update would include a feature or two requested in the Wiki which seem relatively quick and easy to program but could really enhance replayability even further, such as random question blocks.

Again, thanks for the development update and all of your hard work and dedication to SMBC!

4. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Obviously. Funny funny as ever. :D

Just thinking about it is.. something like.. Already blown up. I already feel like it will be ..like

What a great-awesome-downard thrusting birthday gift! I was born in May!

No question, sir. Except about "Let's Play the Tale of Elementia".

5. BaucchTabasco

BaucchTabasco Level 6: Lakitu

BT Challenge accepted.

6. Jay

Yeah, but it'd really help me out if someone can make a list of the most important bugs. The most important ones I know of are the evil Simon axe glitch and the bouncy pits in coin heaven.
    Yeah if they're quick and easy I can put some in. Maybe compile a quick list of some of the best ones that wouldn't be too much work. My top priority is just getting the skins working though.

7. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

It has sounded like it every step of the way, but I figure this is a good time for a definitive answer:
    Will users be able to upload their own skins in some way?

Other questions that spring to mind:
    Are you putting in every skin you want, or are you just putting in a few that you thought would be a good starting place?
    Why are you so awesome?

8. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

Quick Question :

Do we have to download something to make the skins, or can you do it right off the menu?

Another question :

I don't mean to be a jerk, but is the skins the only thing in the update? I wouldn't mind if it is, but is it?

OMG ANOTHER QUESTION LULZ! :

Will people be able to share skins?

9. Frozsoul

That would be awesome to have those bugs ironed out for the next update. Upon a quick review, I don't see any other serious bugs that would interfere with normal gameplay.

Thank you Jay! Personally, the best features from the Wiki that I think would be relatively quick and easy to implement are:
    • Give Bill the ability to jump down from platforms and bricks by pressing Down+Jump.
    • Give Link's sword a slightly larger hit box in Downward Thrust Mode (to avoid the exact precision currently needed when downward thrusting spike tops)
    • Unlimited jumping cheat
    • Rapid fire cheat
    • Random Question Blocks cheat
    • Show the number of lives your character currently has during normal gameplay. This could appear in the blank spot above where the number of coins is displayed during gameplay, as it appears on the character select screen.
    • An option for clouds to move during overworld levels like it does on the character select screen.
    • When bricks are damaged but not destroyed, it triggers a sound and graphic change/animation (e.g. when struck by Ryu's windmill shuriken in Hard or Extreme difficulty settings)
    • An option to start a "New Game" from the in-game menu.
    • Make the default music quality High instead of Mid

Of course, there's tons of other great new feature ideas on the Wiki, but I think they would take a lot more time to implement. And again, I completely understand if none of these ideas make it to the next update, because the new skinning feature does appear quite intensive and time-consuming to implement, and is worth the price of admission on its own!

10. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

Wait, I think Ryu's windmill isn't sensitive to bricks. That's another thing that could be updated, Ryu's windmill being able to hit any brick in its way.

11. Frozsoul

Ryu's windmill shuriken does damage bricks. In Normal difficulty it actually breaks them with one hit, but in harder difficulty settings it requires multiple hits. Because each "hit" does not trigger a sound or graphic change, it's not obvious that the brick has taken damage.

12. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Thanks for the update! Happy 1st anniversary too. I'm grateful knowing the update is closer to completion than I thought. I do have a question about the skins. Will one be able to use multiple enemy sprite skins simultaneously? Let me explain. You have three enemy skin sheets: Mario, Metroid, and Zelda. In the same level goombas would look the same while koopas would look like metroids and hammer bros look like moblins? A menu with each enemy named and a drop down selection could work. This probably be too long to program if you hadn't thought of it already so it could be added in a later update.

I'll make a list of the best and easiest to implement features from the wiki in a bit.

13. Jay

Skins will not be made in the game. When the update is released, I'll release the skinning templates on the wiki. To make a skin, you'll download the template, edit it on your computer with a photo editor, then upload it to a designated page on the wiki. Periodically, Zach(Ryuza) and I will look at the skins people have made and we'll decide which ones are most appropriate for the game, and then we'll put them in. The next time the game is updated, the new skins will be in.

Not at this current time. See the explanation above for how it will work. It is possible I might allow something like that in the future, but it's a very low priority since only the person that uploaded the skin would be able to see it.

Just putting in a few to get things started. The next update will have way more because everyone will start making them.

No, that would just make things too complicated. You can set the enemy skin on random, so whenever you enter a new area the enemies could look different, but they'll always be from one single sheet.

14. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Random enemies as you described sounds awesome. Concerning extra features, the following I think would be easiest to add are:

Automatic screen scrolling
    Lakitus, random Bullet Bills, and/or jumping Cheep Cheeps can be selected for every level.

15. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Would it be possible to add Guile's Theme as an unlockable music track?

I'm not trying to be Daisy Downer here but I'd be more excited about Skins if it was client-side, so we wouldn't have to wait for the staff to choose our skin, think it's "good enough" and then put it in the next update.

I want to see a Rush skin for Sophia.

16. repairmanman

repairmanman Level 5: Spiny

Will you be adding custom music?

17. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

My only question is. As far as Link goes because of differences in the height and game play. Especially if any of my Ideas for Zelda 2 Link are ever added. But then again it all depends on if and I know I've maybe been most annoying and persistent in his resurrection especially the last few days. Though I have good ideas for him at least in my opinion. But as I was saying if you allow him to be reborn in a more awesome and useful form.

Where I can see mixing Link's Zelda1 weapons with his Zelda2 form in which added weapons such as bows,arrows,bomb or wands would be even more disastrous to game play. His signature Magic may be a major turn around to a bad character design as in combining the two good Links into one bad Link. But overall I think separate Links and separate game play for both could be the best solution if to bring back Zelda2 Link.

Then again I don't know what the reasons were to get rid of him. Whether it was that the current Link was more popular,cuter,more obvious or more familiar to the player or because of strong game play flaws impossible physics such as how he was designed in Zelda 2. Which even Mega Man had been modified in the initial release though after Rush was added his jump was redesigned to be closer to the Mega Man games. Then switched back I guess from popular demand.

So in conclusion Links physics could be modified to make him work in SMBC and also the boomerang or if implemented the weapon system can be altered to a magic system.

But finally if he was removed for reasons I doubt like his sprite was too big to get past jumps in ceiling style areas. Only reason I doubt it though is he is about the same size as big Mario.

But in the end your game your rules which I respect that.

18. Jay

I wasn't trying to sound like an evil dictator saying that only I choose the best skins. People are going to make a lot of skins and not all of them will be appropriate for the game, just like every character that is suggested isn't appropriate. This is a way to continue with the quality of the game while getting the community to get to make stuff that goes in. Also, it takes a bit of customization to get each skin working flawlessly, so if people just put them in on their own they'd be buggy. Maybe later there could be some sort of direct community involvement in the game... way later.

19. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Well, I guess his mind has changed since, but HERE was his old opinion not to include Link from Zelda II (it's very long so I'll just put the ...link :D)

20. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

Well I guess your right when it comes to the jumping. Except do you really think he looks like he's shitting. I just think for one if implemented like I suggested.

2nd my spell ideas

The Fairy wouldn't be too over powering because of being killed in one hit and castles,bridge or water levels. Having Life and Shield would help in tough situations too and even out his short comings. Plus Fire would also balance his weaknesses.

3rd I hope that no matter what form Z2 Link appears he will be able to end most forum conflict on the ideas of changed characters since the beginning up til now.

Don't worry you don't sound like one and never will be one unless...

You slick your hair straight to the sides dye it black. Grow a small mustache in the middle of your face. And start wearing a uniform with patches of the third dungeon map from The Legend of Zelda first quest on your shoulders.

No offense just finally found a way to use that infamous map in a joke. LMAO!

My mom was pissed when she first saw that map.LOL!