Smbc Development Update

Discussion in 'Game' started by Jay, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

No the skins are really small, but it will be a little bigger because of the extra music. I found out a way to compress stuff better than before though. It will probably be around 2 MB. Considering everything that's in the game, that's really, really small.

2. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

You are such a tease.

3. powergo

powergo Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Well, the loading time is near instantaneous compared to other flash games, so I am fine with that!

4. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

You released your guard! This is SPOIL!

5. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"It's fun to take a break and read all this stuff."

[​IMG]

Take it easy~

6. Rey D

Patron

Yo! Touhou! It's funny, but I can't read Japanese.

7. powergo

OK, so, I am expecting the update every day now, I just am to eager to wait.
    Every time I go to the website, I expect to see that the new update is released.
    WHEN!!!

8. Jay

I mentioned that there will be extra music a long time ago.

It's gonna be a while still. It might not be out by the end of May either, but that's what I'm shooting for. Things have been going well, but I still have a ton to do.

9. powergo

aw, man! OK, I should expect, like may 29th or something. I know that you probably said the earliest possible date, but I can always be hopefull.

10. Rey D

Patron

What the f... WHEN?! I missed that information! When did you say that! I'm gonna check your posts to see if you're not lying!
    EDIT: Found it out. This is a downward thrust on my face.

So your skills are gonna make it in a few weeks? Great to hear.

Yeah the 29th would be a GREAT DATE! Though I'd prefer the earliest.

11. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Sounds like Luigi may finally make his debut, but remember Jay said thingS! With an "S"! What else could he mean?!?

12. Thunk

Thunk Level 3: Paratroopa

Since skins are being added now, any graphics added to each character would require him to update all of the skins for that character.

This means now is the best time to add per-character ammo displays. (Ryu, Link and Simon?)
    Also adding weapons to a character would break skins, so Simon's various sub-weapons or Link's tools (bow and arrow?), etc will become more painful to add in later due to it breaking the skins for that character.

Side note: Wouldn't it be funny if shooting Link's arrows used coins?

13. Jay

The skins have been designed with future expansion in mind. Stuff can be added without breaking any of the old stuff. So yeah, we'll just have to put the new stuff in each skin, but that will only take a few minutes unless there's like 20 skins for one character. And I'm used to doing repetitive tasks by now, so I wouldn't mind doing it.

Also, in some cases, I put things on the skins which aren't in the game yet, but I know I will put in at some point. For example, Link's skin has swimming sprites even though he can't swim in the game. And most skins have some blank spaces for stuff that will be added later.

For real, I spent forever designing how skins work and tried to make them as simple and efficient as possible. I wish I could release some of them, but I'd rather wait until I'm 100% certain of the final designs. All of the ones I previously released as examples have already changed.

14. powergo

It sounds like you went up and beyond with this update, jay. It is easy to understand why it is taking such a long time, even when you cut off all other projects.

15. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

He would have to implement ammo too. I'm actually not even sure if the ammo displays are in the character sheets or the interface sheets.

We are actually discussing that in Link's Character Thread at the current moment.

16. Rey D

Patron

And is this SPOIL or am I stupid as ever?

17. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Sounds like Mega Man would have the largest skin sheet, given his potential for multiple weapons. Besides Link and Rush Marine, are any characters going to be able to swim in future updates?

18. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

Actually, Link's swimming sprites have been on the Wiki for some time.

On that note, I'd really like to see those alternate upward and downward thrusting sprites make it in!

19. Metalhog

Metalhog Level 6: Lakitu

Think we all are anxious to see new characters in the game. I just wonder if Jay will consider the votes that we made here where the top 4 are Kirby, Luigi, Sonic and Rash.

I would like so much to see in this version one of them, but will be deliriously awesome to see Sonic running in the scenarios of Mario.

20. Rey D

Patron

Yeah, I've seen it, but I didn't except those sprites to be in updates. BUT you are right. I'm stupid.

And yeah, those downard and upward thrusting looks DAMN cool.