SMBC New Character Poll 2012

Discussion in 'Characters' started by djinnandtonic, Mar 11, 2012.

?

Which one do you think most fits into SMBC?

1. Sir Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins)

20.0%
  2. Kirby (Kirby's Adventure

28.3%
  3. Pit (Kid Icarus)

16.7%
  4. Princess Peach Toadstool (SMB2)

6.7%
  5. Toad (SMB2)

3.3%
  6. Rash (Battletoads)

6.7%
  7. Bomberman (Bomberman series)

1.7%
  8. Radd Spencer (Bionic Commando)

1.7%
  9. Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)

8.3%
  10. Wario (Wario Land)

6.7%
  1. djinnandtonic

djinnandtonic Level 1: Goomba

Well, it's been about a year since the last poll, so I figured it'd be a good time to see what people think of the top options of the requests, especially since the release of 2.0's new systems. Character information is compiled from the various open requests topics.

Top contenders:

Sir Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins)
    Ease of Implementation: 5
    + NES Sprites, Chiptunes
    + Sidescroller
    + Movement type is similar to Simon
    + Clear, easy-to-interpret power up options
    Notability: 4.5
    + Popular during Arcade, NES, and SNES eras
    + Still appearing in various modern Capcom games
    + Placed 4th in the previous Poll
    - May play too similarly to Simon
    - Most recognizable form is from SNES

Kirby (Kirby's Adventure)
    Ease of Implementation: 2.5
    + NES Sprites, Chiptunes
    + Sidescroller
    + Swimming sprites already exist!
    - Movement type is highly debated, particularly how to handle Flight (Limited, Smash-Bros Style, Gameboy Style are all prevalent theories)
    - Power up skillset is also highly debated, though the new weapon systems from 2.0 make this more managable
    - Method of Acquiring Powerups is also highly debated, though the prevalent theory is absorbing enemies, which means implementing a new mechanic
    Notability: 5
    + Big-name Nintendo Franchise character from all console generations
    + Plays significantly differently from all other characters
    + 1st Place Winner of the previous Poll
    - "Too overpowered" is a common argument against him

Pit (Kid Icarus)
    Ease of Implementation: 4.5
    + NES Sprites, Chiptunes
    + Climbing Sidescroller
    + Movement type is similar to Mario style characters
    + Power ups are generally intuitive and fit into SMBC
    - Flight movement may be an issue
    Notability: 3
    + Is from a Nintendo Franchise (albeit not a major one)
    + Appeared in Smash Bros Brawl and has a new game coming out for 3DS
    + Major character in the Captain N cartoon (Not sure if this helps?)
    + Placed 4th in the previous Poll
    - Only has 2 games released

Princess Peach Toadstool (Super Mario Brothers 2)
    + NES Sprites, Chiptunes
    + Able to re-use standard Mario music already in game
    + Sidescroller
    + Movement type is similar to other Mario characters
    + Powerups are generally intuitive and agreed upon
    - May need more sprites drawn
    Notability: 4
    + Major Mario Franchise character (Many playable appearances outside the Party/Racing games)
    + Adds another female character
    + SMB2 mechanics make her play neccessarily different from Mario and Luigi
    - Already two playable Mario characters
    - Is technically already in the game being rescued
    - Is technically a Doki Doki Panic character (though notably the two are so conflated at this point that the most recognizable character is the Smash Bros version of Peach)
    - Did not get past the nomination phase of the previous Poll

Toad (Super Mario Brothers 2)
    + NES Sprites, Chiptunes
    + Able to re-use standard Mario music already in game
    + Sidescroller
    + Powerups are generally intuitive and agreed upon
    - May need more sprites drawn
    + Mario Franchise character (Playable appearances only in the Party/Racing games)
    + SMB2 mechanics make her play neccessarily different from Mario and Luigi
    - Generic character outside of SMB2
    - Is technically already in the game being rescued
    - Is technically a Doki Doki Panic character

Rash (Battletoads)
    Ease of Implementation: 3.5
    + NES Sprites, Chiptunes
    - Beat 'em Up game, some sprite angles may need adjustment, depending on game
    + Sidescrolling-style Beat 'em Up, at least
    + At least 3 major NES releases to choose from
    + Movement type is similar to Bill/Ryu
    - Some debate over abilities
    - Picked-up weapon items and Lifting/Throwing are new mechanics to be added
    Notability: 2.5
    + Popular during Arcade, NES, and SNES eras
    + Placed 4th in the previous Poll, and have a 400+ post open request thread
    + Brawler-type plays differently than other characters
    - Haven't had a new release in years...

Bomberman (Bomberman series)
    Ease of Implementation: 3.5
    + NES Sprites, Chiptunes
    - Top-down map game, though could work similarly to Link
    + Has Sidescroller game released on GBC with usable sprites if necessary
    + Skillset is easy to fit into SMBC, though there is debate on which of his many forms/abilities to use
    - Movement type would have to be taken from Link's example
    + Games continue to be released for the series through each console generation
    + Plays significantly differently from current characters
    - Did not make it past the nomination phase of the previous poll

Radd Spencer (Bionic Commando)
    Ease of Implementation: 3
    + NES Sprites, Chiptunes
    + Sidescrolling-style at least
    - Can't jump
    + Otherwise, Movement type is similar to Bill/Ryu
    - Some debate over abilities
    - Grappling-swinging is a new mechanic to implement
    Notability: 2
    + Placed tied-for-last in the previous Poll, but at least made it past the nomination phase
    - Possibly plays too similarly to Bill
    - Hasn't had a new release in years

Other Popular requests (Control group)

Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog series)
    Ease of Implementation: 2
    - No NES Sprites or Chiptunes
    + Gamegear sprites/chiptunes are comparable
    + Fanmade sprites/chiptunes exist
    + Sidescroller!
    - Speed-based character is hard to balance
    + Non-speedy Movement type is similar to Mario/Megaman
    - Skillset is highly contested
    + Famous SEGA Franchise character, often opposed to Mario
    + Placed 2nd in the previous Poll, Most requested character from casuals
    - No NES or 8-bit releases

Wario (Wario Land)
    Ease of Implementation: 3
    - No NES Sprites or Chiptunes
    + Gameboy Sprites are comparable
    + As a Mario franchise character, can use default music
    - Skillset is mildly contested
    - May need many new sprites
    Notability: 3.5
    + Mario Franchise character (Many playable appearances outside the Party/Racing games)
    + Wario Land mechanics make him play neccessarily different from Mario and Luigi
    - Does not have an NES release

Red Mage/other (Final Fantasy I)
    Ease of Implementation: 0.5
    + NES Sprites, Chiptunes
    - Not a Sidescroller in any way, shape or form!
    - Menu-based combat in any form would require new mechanics to be built
    - Would require a playstyle to be built from scratch
    + Ridiculously Popular Final Fantasy series iconic characters
    + Would certainly play entirely differently than the rest of the cast, could be interesting
    + Continually gets requested, and currently has about 3 open discussion topics
    - Never going to happen, but fun to think about?
    - Did not make it past nomination phase of the previous Poll

So let's see what kind of response we get this time.

EDIT: I should probably make a note that people should post write-in votes too (I'm not counting them for the official poll, but when the next one rolls around, I can use the data to make an updated list).

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

It was hard to pick just one . . . but I went with Pit. He's undeniably a classic NES character, he has a good amount of items to collect, he's just different enough from Samus to be his own character, and he isn't in Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, which I consider a plus.

3. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Arthur is not too similar to Simon. I mean serious Simon is more about close range while Arthur is a fast attacking long range character.
    Too bad Master Higgins from adventure island is not on the list, with the current powerup system he could work magical. But partially it's my fault people not caring about him because I not shared my thoughts about it.
    If I really have to pick from those I think I would choose Arthur. Though I do not vote yet. I need to think about it a little more still.

uglyrodent, Rey D and Mitewing like this.
  4. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Look at my wish list in my signature and see why it's so hard for me to decide!!

5. Sergy92

Sergy92 Level 7: Bloober

I eventually chose Peach. As you've said, it would be nice to have some more girl power and she could perfectly have Daisy and Rosalina as skins.

6. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Since the game already has two Mario characters, I went with Arthur. He seems the easiest to implement, and he seems to be one of the most obvious choices remaining for classic, side-scrolling NES characters.

7. CouchTomato

CouchTomato Level 2: Koopa

Too bad I can only vote for one. I think the best ones are (in no particular order):

-Arthur
    -Kirby
    -Pit
    -Wario

Though I do agree that Kirby's gameplay is way too overpowered, so he'd be the last choice.

Also, I don't really consider Wario a pure "Mario" character, because aside from party and random puzzle games, they've only been together in Mario Land 2 and Wario Land (VERY brief cameo). Oh and a couple of the DS remakes. But like DK, the majority of Wario's games are solo.

The other two are simply excellent options.

8. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

My God.. trying to choose between Toad, Rash, and Arthur is a royal pain.

random.org, GO!

Arthur it is!

Mitewing likes this.
  9. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Interesting to see Kirby on top.

10. Sergy92

Sergy92 Level 7: Bloober

>Peach only has two votes
    [​IMG]

11. djinnandtonic

I suspect the fact that Toad and Wario are also options could be the issue. It's a psychological disadvantage referred to as "splitting the vote". Since many people vote for them for many of the same reasons, they get less votes individually. I suspect that if "King Dedede" had been another voting option, Kirby might not be in the lead. It gives the voters too many similar choices.

But eh, hindsight is 50/50. I should probably make a note that people should post write-in votes too (I'm not counting them for the official poll, but when the next one rolls around, I can use the data to make an updated list). Any thoughts?

12. CouchTomato

Honestly, I think Toad does NOT deserve a spot. He's only a side-character and never THE main character / protagonist (unless you count Wario's Woods... and that isn't even a platformer).

13. ThomasMink

When I play SMB2 US, the only two characters I use are Toad and Luigi... maybe just me though. :)

Mitewing likes this.
  14. CouchTomato

The thing about SMB2 US is that many people don't even consider it completely legit Mario, as it was based off an existing game, and Toad was the only character that could fill in the fourth spot because Mario didn't really have many characters back then.

Also, he wasn't THE main character/protagonist -- just one of four. In other words, it wasn't his game, and he had too many other alternatives (unlike Luigi and Bass, which are the secondary main characters). There's no Super Toad, etc.

15. Mr.Giang

Mr.Giang Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I want Grant Danasty from Castlevania III

16. ThomasMink

People are to free to not consider it a legit Mario game all they want, and make excuses for why Toad shouldn't have been included.. but the fact remains that it is a Mario game which includes Toad. You can't change what has already been done.

True, it might not have been Toad's game specifically.. but it's a side-scrolling game that he appeared in and was playable, and had a unique playstyle. I doubt anyone would want Mario or Luigi to represent the playstyle of this game when two other characters are there available to do so. And I prefer Toad myself, but again.. that's just me. :)

Frozsoul and Mitewing like this.
  17. djinnandtonic

No offense to anyone, but calling SMB2us 'not a real Mario game' is kind of like calling Pluto "not a real planet". Yes, there are some definitions that could disclude it, but everyone (including the Japanese!) have been calling it a Mario game since the Super Nintendo era. In fact, there are a few undisputably canon franchise games that have referenced it (such as Peach's floating ability and turnips in Smash Bros. ... or the appearances of Shy Guys and Birdo in just about -everything- from Super Mario RPG to the Party/Kart games to later installments of the main platformers).

It's a Mario game, it just also happens to be Doki Doki Panic. Notably, the Japanese have had Super Mario Bros USA since the collected editions on the SNES (possibly sooner, but this is the earliest that my Japanese friends have told me about, so I'm guessing it's the one that popularized it over there).

And just because I wanted to fact-check, quick tidbit I just learned from Wikipedia:

Some elements from the Mario universe already existed in Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic, such as Starmen, coin and jumping sound effects, the POW blocks and level warping. Additionally, the game's soundtrack was composed by Koji Kondo, the original Super Mario Bros. composer, and needed only a few alterations and new compositions throughout the conversion.Both Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros. 2 were directed by Kensuke Tanabe.
    Doki Doki Panic originally started as a Mario game prototype developed by Kensuke Tanabe. The prototype emphasized vertically scrolling levels and throwing blocks. Notably, it was originally intended to be a two player co-op game allowing players to toss each other around. The gameplay was considered not fun enough at the time and was scrapped until later when Tanabe received instruction to use the Yume Kojo mascots in a game, at which point he expanded the gameplay and developed Doki Doki Panic.

Frozsoul likes this.
  18. CouchTomato

Well I didn't say I didn't. I was saying that there is some of that sentiment though. I don't think you can compare it to Pluto not being a real planet though... because it just isn't. Unless you call the other big ice balls out there planets too.

How would you adapt that playstyle to SMBC? It doesn't make sense to jump on enemies and grab them. The game's engine wasn't designed like that. And also because the enemies here are much less threatening and not placed in precarious situations (aside from 8-2), you can pretty much just hop on enemies straight to the end. Except for the Hammer Bros... and then there's pretty much nothing you can do about them. There were also no power-ups in SMB2.

ThomasMink likes this.
  19. ThomasMink

I'll disagree about Pluto, but that's a whole other topic entirely.

The playstyle is definitely a concern, and one I share.. so I've never really given much thought into how it would be adapted into SMBC. I will say, though, that Toad has an awful jump.. so it might be a bit annoying in some places to stop and have to charge it.

20. djinnandtonic

I don't see how the whole "able to land on their backs" thing is an issue? How is that any more powerful than the various projectile weapons or flying/hovering? SMB vanilla wasn't designed for -those- either and it still managed to be challenging. SMB2us is still challenging despite it being one of the core mechanics! Notably, SMB2us is -less- challenging than SMB vanilla, but that's part of what makes SMBC fun - you get to use different playstyles!

As for Pluto: It -is- classified as minor planet/dwarf planet, along with several other large objects in the kuiper belt. The point I was making is that it has been considered a planet for about as long as SMB2us has been considered Mario game.

ThomasMink and Mitewing like this.