SMBC Unity Port Cancelled

Super Retro Squad will have too many features to run on the SMBC engine, so the port is canceled.

1. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

This should be good enough. All I need is a programmer and a spriter. I need to hand pick and do careful choices because I don't want the game to end up like MKF.

2. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

3. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

It seems like we should get Jay's permission before taking over a game he's still working on.

4. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

Well I admit I'm saddened about SMBC and wish I would have saw SMBS added so a more traditional version not lacking the new enemies could have been made but...

I also realize Jay can't make a living off of SMBC because of copyright laws and needs to pay his living expenses but at least SRS may be a great game maybe even better than SMBC. But in the end SRS better be released on a console of some sort in disc or game card or I'll haunt Jay's dreams. Woooooooo wooooooo woooooo BOO!

5. Crownjo

I should do that first. He is a good man and I don't wanna steal it like that. If he says yes I want to hand pick a team. I would pick people from this forum because I love ya all.

6. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

I could see SMBC becoming more of a community based game in the future. Hopefully once SRS comes out we won't have to rely on the money from the ads. Maybe later I can open source it, or maybe like ReNeX is saying, someone could recreate it on another engine. If the right person wanted to take over development of SMBC, I'd consider it. ReNeX has already seen the source code so he at least as an idea of what it looks like.

I've been working on some personal stuff lately, and I still have to do the LP for the Kickstarter, but I'll see if I can find time to work on a small SMBC update. I do also believe SMBC has served its purpose to get Exploding Rabbit off the ground. Well, I'd say after we release SRS it will have completed its purpose because if we stop making money from ads we probably won't have enough $$$ to finish SRS.

Anon421, Johnny, Rey D and 4 others like this.
  7. Crownjo

Jay if SMBC becomes a community based game and won't rely on the money for the ads. Could I help to be lead on it? I do have experience in managing projects but I am a bit rusty but I won't let you or this community down. I don't want to change the direction of SMBC but to keep it simple. I envy your vision for the game and will continue that if I get the chance, this would be a fun experience to do stuff with the community.

I have been on this forum since the beginning and I would be honored to be the Lead Designer.

Omicron likes this.
  8. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I will pre-volunteer to program if it comes to that. I still need practice in whatever language (is it still C# or would it be back to Actionscript or what?), but I have a tiny amount of programming experience to build on.

Crownjo likes this.
  9. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable handing it off to someone with no experience. The only person I could think of that might be able to pull it off is ReNeX. Of course he'd have to not make the mistake of putting everything in the game the fans want like he did with Sonic Boll (from what I remember). If I decided to hand the game off to someone, I think it'd be alright if they start working on it now, but I wouldn't want it released until after SRS comes out. And I'm not sure what my relationship to the project would be. It's a lot to think about.

10. Crownjo

Well I know I don't look like much but I already have the mind of not putting everything that the fans want, I actually have some experience of keeping a game in track. I have talked with one of the member's here and he is going to respect all of my choices. I told him we won't be adding random stuff so it won't end up like Sonic Boll or MKF.

I have seen projects for years and sometimes they fall off the map because they just want to add too many things that ends up as a bad game.

Would opening sourcing the game be a good idea? I think it should be closed but whatever is the best I will respect it.

Also "if" I become the lead I will still not allow fan characters. It will still represent the same quality that SMBC is known for. It won't become a ugly mashup like MKF or being 100% fan based like Sonic Boll.

twinAgkistrodon likes this.
  11. twinAgkistrodon

twinAgkistrodon Level 5: Spiny

I'd be willing to help with programming too.
    I have a some experience with GM and about a year of experience with C#.

Omicron and Crownjo like this.
  12. Crownjo

It's good to have programers to help with the game.

13. twinAgkistrodon

How did you, of all people end up posting in the wrong thread? :p
    Jay himself made a thread on it.
    Most of the games that were stopped were the higher-quality ones.
    I agree with your points, but we're making a SMBC fan-fan game port remake.
    Although I feel the same way about Terraria. (hoping it continues eventually)

14. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I don't understand why you guys constantly try to hijack this game.

I was going to argue against Johnny about his "children holding onto curdled milk" comment but now I'm starting to see that it makes sense.

First of all, in response to Johnny, digital code doesn't have a lifespan, it's not even on a cartridge or CD. Development can continue at any time down the road and nobody needs to go to such dramatic lengths as to "solomnly let go" of SMBC. It is not going to be profitable but a time can come where it doesn't need to be profitable, and then Jay might decide to allocate some development power to polishing it up and adding a few finishing touches.

Secondly, this vulture-like behavior is irritating, with Sonic and then Kirby and now the whole damn game itself. If you guys want community-driven development of the game there's better ways to go about this then to start openly plotting some cabal of free-lance devs before Jay even had a chance to respond. We're only hours after a news article that merely said SMBC is not going to Unity, I don't know how we came to this so quickly.

I think SMBC could primarily use a few more characters, abilities and a level editor. I'm sure other people want more, much more, and that's part of why I'm not really digging the idea of handing it off to the community entirely. The game is nearly perfect already and I don't see a reason why it needs to be open-sourced. With a level editor, the community could still work on the game without it spiraling out of control. I think the bits of work that are left to polish the game could feasibly be done by ER themselves at some point in the future.

EDIT: "How did you, of all people end up posting in the wrong thread?"

It was the first thread I saw when I woke up and started browsing, and forgot to just come here instead.

15. twinAgkistrodon

I see your point, and I understand what you're saying, but now I'm torn, because I already committed myself to crownjo's project.

"I think SMBC could primarily use a few more characters, abilities and a level editor."
    I agree with this, mainly the level editor part.
    A level editor is the one thing I really want, (especially one that allowed you to import custom tiles, as that would mean you don't need to add more levels at all) but I said before that a level editor would probably be the finishing touch on SMBC. (I know I'm shooting myself in the foot and making contradictory statements.)

"We're only hours after a news article that merely said SMBC is not going to Unity, I don't know how we came to this so quickly."
    Yeah, I guess we overreacted to that, and I didn't really read the article very thoroughly.

"It was the first thread I saw when I woke up and started browsing, and forgot to just come here instead."
    That first part was a joke, by the way. I thought the :p would signify that. I was just trying to lighten up the thread a bit, but I guess it doesn't need it. XD
    I'm just the kind of person who like cracking jokes all the time. :p
    Also, no color in this post because it wasn't cooperating.
    EDIT: Wait, woke up? I'm just about to go to sleep.

16. Crownjo

People wanted Multiplayer. and now that it won't happen they feel let down. I don't blame them. I know SRS is very important but ER needs to remember where they started. In a few more years ER will be big and they won't need SMBC because they will have a variety of games to buy. I am going to still promote SRS at places and such. I am not going to abandon ER. If I didn't care I wouldn't have gave my $80 or promote SMBC at the Comic-Con.

Depends on how you handle it off to the community. If you just make a random member the lead guy the game would end up as a big disaster. If you give it to the right guy that knows and cares about the game then it will be fine. I took a small offense when people think I have zero experience when I know a thing or two about working with a team. I am not going to turn SMBC into the next Sonic Boll or MKF. I am not stupid.

17. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I just want to add that Jay is a good person, ER are good people, and they're good developers. If we were talking about Mega Man Legends 3 and Capcom or something, then yeah that is a situation where fans need to come together and figure out what to do, because it's obvious that Capcom currently will not do anything themselves.

ER and SMBC exist because it was a game that no one else would have made, and cerainly not big-dog publishers because of all the complications in IPs, greed and stubbornness. There was a need for SMBC. There's a need for SRS. There's a need for Mega Man X: Corrupted. There was (sadly) a need for things like the Chrono Trigger remake. There's a need for more fangames these days. I've said it before, all the best games are being made by gamers, by fans.

I don't see a need here for this "fan-fan game", it's not like the situation is so dire that we can never expect SMBC to be updated again. They haven't sold out, they haven't canceled entire projects or stopped caring about the things they're doing.

I think that, as long as they continue to show that they're good people and developers, we should respect what they have done, and what they intend to do.

"People wanted Multiplayer. and now that it won't happen they feel let down."

I have not written off multiplayer just yet. I don't mean this in any bad way, but I take things as they come here and don't let myself get too invested in any one statement or plan. Take a look at the last couple of years and see how much things have changed.

You have to realize that right now SRS is gearing up for full-on development and that even with $50,000, money is still tight. But this won't always be the case, eventually SRS will be released, the brunt of the work will be over and hopefully the financial situation of ER will have improved with their new source of revenue. The plans may be changed yet again later on down the road to adapt or take advantage of these changing variables, and ER might decide to it's a good time to figure out how to get MP working with Flash... or to in fact port SMBC, or whatever.

If you jump the gun and take over the development, you can scratch that itch of impatience or dissatisfaction, but in the long run who is going to be better suited to continue developing the game?

18. Crownjo

Give me a chance and I can prove that I can be that right person. If the game is recreated. I can show it to Jay after it's done. Once ER doesn't need to rely on the money from the ads He can use this recreated SMBC and put it on the site. I don't want money, all I want is to help out this community and team because I care.

twinAgkistrodon and Mitewing like this.
  19. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

I am a bit disappointed but I actually saw this coming, the urge for earning money is too strong. To be honest I saw it coming since the idea for an original game has been announced. I really feel like the news is more important on "focus is on SRS instead of SMBC from now" because truly I don't give a damn what SMBC is on. It can be flash, unity or a sticky flypaper. Who cares as long as the game works, right?
    I guess it's understandable if want to make living out of making games. Maybe Jay don't see exactly how truly special SMBC is, it is not impossible as it does happen that a creator do not see just how special his own creation really is. Let's not forget also that SMBC is what actually gave Jay a name on the internet and still what holds it for him. Outside community almost everyone call him "The guy who made SMBC", even just the name exploding rabbit is just makes people hey isn't that like something related to "The guy who made SMBC". The game is deeply on the mind of everyone and it's the reason why they love you, I believe even the success of SRS is partially highly thx to it because fans just naturally want to support and repay the person who gave the 9th wonder of the world that is SMBC. Well if anything it be very hard if Jay wants to replace SMBC with SRS in popularity and make it the game he is known for. SRS is an original game and an original game needs to be really top quality if want to make it famous. Well Exploding Rabbit will always have my support for whatever needed. I am sad about SMBC but I will of course not going to leave just because of that since that would be stupid especially since I am a member here since the very first day this forum exist. Well I hope SRS going to be success that it is expected to get.

And as other thing I somehow knew if something happens to SMBC Crownjo will be the first person to volunteer to continue. I know him since long enough to be to tell he is among people who truly know just how amazingly special SMBC is and also what is best for it. Just like me he possibly feels that it would be a huge waste to just leave SMBC. It's like a wonderful unique diamond which can be always polished in a right way to make it even more beautiful. If there is any way I can support just let me know.

Omicron, Mitewing and Crownjo like this.
  20. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Alice has made very good points and I agree pretty much with all of them. Online multiplayer isn't really necessary for SMBC like it is for SRS. Local two player, maybe 4, if that, is more than enough but I won't care that much if it's not added.

IIRC, Jay said they have an easy way now to add levels. I say only after LL and Special are added, along with the two unfinished characters are added. Then MAYBE, someone could take up the reins, but not before. However, like Alice, I don't like the fan-fan game idea.

BassWins and Crownjo like this.