SMBC Unity Port Cancelled

Super Retro Squad will have too many features to run on the SMBC engine, so the port is canceled.

1. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

It's not an urge, it's a necessity. ER could have just been that one-off thing where some guy made a cool flash-game, but Jay wanted to expand and bring it to a new level. You cannot hire a dev team, develop a multi-platform video game, buy a studio, etc. without money.

Again, the best comparison I can make is with big publishers. They want to maximize profits and have an urge to make more money, whereas ER would like to be able to just get by. Putting together a studio and a dev team to live their lives following their dreams, and maybe some day progressing into film making as well. Right now they're a creative engine, rather than a capitalistic engine. So if the goal is to create a foundation to stand on in order to continue this creativity, and to build this foundation you need money, SMBC cannot be used to this end.

Mitewing likes this.
  2. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Yeah I am among the people who don't believe in money. As I always think do you create stuff to entertain others or do you use out creating entertain stuff to make money? It's not the same thing. If you want to just entertain others and make them happy a lot can be done without it and all you need is to want to do it. Sure it is a fact that sadly you can't do absolutely everything without money, in overall it really depends by what is your goal! I know that I for one never ever would enjoy asking for money for one of my creation as I would like to make people happy and show off my creativity to as many people as possible. If I ask for money I feel like I would be greedy and limit my own self from spreading and sharing my creations. I feel like if I really need help from others I can ask for it and my fans would support me if they want to. But that's only how I feel and everyone is different.

3. aliceandsven

So who's going to go out and hunt for the food to keep the people at the house alive? Do they know how to purify water for drinking? Are they going to fell their own lumber to build the house?

They're not just asking for money just because they want money, they're trying to make a living, at least from what I can see.

sbq92 and Mitewing like this.
  4. ManniManni54321

ManniManni54321 Level 3: Paratroopa

So After SRS, Will SMBC be Cancelled?! :cry:

5. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

and they had to buy multiple copies of Unity Pro or something.

No. The official announcement says that it will still be updated from time to time.
    Apparently Crownjo will wants to make a fan-recreation of SMBC, but for now, SMBC is no abandoned thing.

6. Urutsune

Well yeah they try to make a living, anyone can tell that. Though there is countless ways to make a living and I so personally will find a different way to do it. There is a lot of people who have a job or school and yet near it still works on game or something else, it is no magic. I guess I can understand why someone would like to only do this for living and get payed for it but I personally choose to be different because I want things to be different.

On a fully different final note let us still keep in mind that the current situation is just what Jay says at the moment. He can still get a change of heart and say something else one day. Maybe after a month he will going to think about something completely different. As someone who is a member since a long time I know Jay's mind can change more often then the weather. So he may go like one day and be like I rather not put it out of attention and keep add stuff to it coz too epic and stuff. WE CAN NEVER KNOW FOR SURE!

aliceandsven likes this.
  7. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Well i'd like to state a thing. Sonic Boll isn't what you are saying. I have specifically stated several times that
    I'm trying really hard to keep the game reasonable, and that's one of the reasons development is slow. You wouldn't believe how deep me and Metalhog discuss each feature to exhaustion before making a move.

Now, about the SMBC remake, i actually agree with A&S. We shouldn't jump at it and start right now, let's let the lava cool down so we can cross it.

But that doesn't stop us from private experiments, might i add.

Rey D likes this.
  8. Urutsune

Oh and btw nobody wants to take away the game from Jay. What example Crownjo was thinking is just IF the game by any chance would be abandoned then there could be a team which could continue the development because it be a pity to just let the game rot. If anything talked about it yet is nothing more then thinking what could people do if the worst of the worst would happen. It is just thinking, that is allowed right? It is better consider things and think about possible plans for possible events that could happen in the future then get hit by something bad while unprepared. It can never hurt.

Omicron likes this.
  9. aliceandsven

"It is just thinking"

To me, it seemed like people were seriously going forward with it and not just thinking about it, and it still seems that way. And I'm rather put off by how overtly they're acting about it.

10. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

It was more of a general panic coupled to too early brainstorm.

aliceandsven likes this.
  11. aliceandsven

I wouldn't mind seeing a sort of Steam Workshop deal where the community is given the knowledge necessary to produce game content for evaluation. So then the people who want Kirby can make Kirby, the people who want MP can figure that out, the community could do their part to help but it's still under the control of ER.

I think we owe it to them to work with them instead of sneaking around like this developing secret builds without consent or discussion.

silentshadowxp likes this.
  12. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I just want to point out that Jay straight up said that it would be okay for it to become community driven at some point. We are getting kind of overzealous, but there's really no toes being stepped on here.

BassWins likes this.
  13. aliceandsven

He also said this

"It's a lot to think about."

He also spoke about possibilities and "maybes". That's not really "it would be ok"

But I don't really want to play this game of picking apart people's words. The point is, it is a lot to think about and I think some people are going to do whatever they please now regardless, which is not very wholesome. It's situations like this that can split communities in half.

uglyrodent and Mitewing like this.
  14. Urutsune

The game really mean a lot to some people so they may just got sound a little too panicked, but don't we all are like that when we hear something bad related to what we love so dearly? We love it so much that we naturally start to consider the worst too as a possibility since we really don't want to loose. It's the most natural thing ever, you overreacted a bit too. No community will fall apart so don't worry. A community falls apart when people can't understand each other and can't get along. You need be understanding in these situations and find out what they really think.

15. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

16. Johnny

Johnny Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Alice, I think you misinterpreted me telling people to let go of Super Mario Crossover. My comment was that if Jay decided ever in the future to let go of Super Mario Crossover and Exploding Rabbit decides to let go of it that doesn't mean its this big hoopla of "OMG this is so terrible." It can easily be played and host mirrored anywhere in its final state (whatever and whenever the final version of it comes to pass) even if its not on this site anymore. I'm not saying it shouldn't live on, I'm just saying the SMBC project doesn't have to be permanently fixated to Jay's behind. He should be able to do other things and move on without the community jumping down his throat about abandoning Super Mario Bros Crossover. I know people love SMBC and I love it too but that doesn't mean we should turn against Exploding Rabbit and Jay if ever comes the day that he's no longer interested in continuing the project. I'm not a Super Mario Crossover Supporter, I'm an Exploding Rabbit supporter. Meaning I support this site, forum and ALL its endeavors as a whole.

For that matter I don't think anyone else needs to rush in like the Justice League and "save" Super Mario Crossover. The project doesn't need saving. This is what I mean't with the chocolate milk comment. People are so desperate to keep Super Mario Crossover around that they are willing to rip the project away from Jay if need be just so that it won't die off. If Super Mario Crossover's fate is to die its not the end of the world. There will always be plenty of projects Jay will work on and that anyone could work on themselves that are original. I am getting sick of people acting like spoiled brats because there may be a small possibility Super Mario Bros Crossover is taken away from them. Its the wrong attitude to have.

Keep in mind Jay created this project. So if he wants to crumple it up and throw it away thats his decision and I'll stay loyal to Jay and this site either way. Not to mention Jay actually does want this project to live on. All I got from what he said was he was considering that some day the Exploding Rabbit site and himself may not be involved with Super Mario Crossover anymore so that he could take on more original IPs and make a living off of his works. That doesn't mean the project will die or that its like a sick cat in a neglected home that needs someone to barge in and save it.

For that matter we're not starting a civil war here where it is this Super Mario Bros Crossover Cult vs. the rest of Exploding Rabbit. Thats just crazy crap.

17. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

This has been a very interesting thread to read. Thanks to aliceandsven for being the voice of reason. I have to admit, I was a little scared with how people were talking about making a fan-fan game right now. I think the reason I said I could see it becoming a community game at some point is because I never want the game to die. I also realized that now that I have a team, I can work on SMBC and progress could still be made on SRS by the rest of the team. No one else on the team knows AS3, so SMBC would pretty much still be my solo project.

If I expand the Flash version instead of porting the game, all my time could be spent on adding new features. I like the idea of "finishing" the game. I do agree that a level editor would greatly expand what could be done with the game. And if I do add one, that means I could make the lost levels and SMBS easily. I wonder if I could add that and possibly a few characters. Since I haven't worked on it for a while, it feels exciting to start working on it again, and it feels like a relief to not have to port it.

I'll see if I can find a way to make it work. Even if I just work on SMBC for a few hours each day great progress could be made. I have other things I'm doing right now, so I need to make sure I don't fall into my obsessive work mode. I'll think about it though.

18. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Supporting Jay doesn't mean you have to agree with all his future decisions.
    Besides, Jay hasn't said he'd give away Super Mario Bros. Crossover .
    He said he could think about letting the community (as in a little group) take care of the future of SMBC, but he said he has to think about it.
    And then people wanted to suddenly take the game as they hear this little thought.

19. aliceandsven

If you made the level editor then you wouldn't have to work on LL or Special at all, people could do it for you :p

Omicron and uglyrodent like this.
  20. Johnny

Johnny Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Yeah I don't believe the game should die. Course not. But also there comes a point where people have to be understanding that if you feel its in your best interest that there has to be a final version and you do have to finish the game and walk away then they need to accept that. Then SMBC like the NES titles it was based on, some of which had no sequels could always be played and remembered as a great vision. People will always love it, they will always come back to play it and nobody will forget it. Even as it is now if you walked away from SMBC and said "Ok this is the final version" I think I speak for a lot of people on this site when I say most of us will still appreciate you and Exploding Rabbit.

No but I don't believe a civil war between SMBC Enthusiasts and Exploding Rabbit is necessary either simply to see the game live on.

aliceandsven likes this.