SMBC Unity Port Cancelled

Super Retro Squad will have too many features to run on the SMBC engine, so the port is canceled.

1. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

It's pretty nice to see that you'll be happy with sMBC being stopped or whatever, but Jay just said he doesn't want SMBC to die and that he will probably continue working on it, so no need anymore to say how happy you'd be with the stop of SMBC, because that could be misinterpreted.

Hopefully no one has threatened Jay for his announcement. I don't think I've seen any post of that kind.

2. Anon421

Anon421 Guest

If the level editor has enough content and tools, but is still simple to use, it won't be necessary to make it entirely open source. All you basicly need is an editor with simple "load, save, copy, cut, paste, move, touch it, bring it, pay it, watch it, turn it, leave it, stop - format it"-tools. That would allow people to easily load their own assets and skins into the game.

3. Johnny

Johnny Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Thank you for throwing words in my mouth. I don't believe I said I wanted it stopped or that I would be happy with it being stopped. I believe I said I would support Jay either way unconditionally. Though you've made it fairly apparent that you won't.

Disagreeing with Jay is one thing. Telling him he's a fucked up person and that he is screwing YOU over despite all he's done because you don't like a decision he makes is another.

Meaning regardless of how I or anyone else feels about that decision whether we agree or disagree with it, I'll STILL appreciate Jay for everything he's done on Super Mario Bros Crossover and I'll still appreciate the portion of the Exploding Rabbit community who is supportive towards the future endeavors wherever it may take things.

To take the attitude of "Well if Jay makes a decision on this site that affects me in a negative way I'll turn around and criticize and bash him or/and the way he goes about running things" is not fair and its not right. If you don't like the idea of SMBC being stopped to the point of bitterly turning on Jay I'm going to tell you thats a horrible way to react.

If you want to sit and criticize me for being a "blind loyalist to Jay" feel free I don't care. I think the guy deserves a strong sense of loyalty from us with all the hard effort he's put in slaving away on a lot of these projects. Especially when he wasn't even getting paid from any of us to make SMBC.

If Jay turned around and deleted SMBC from Exploding Rabbit tomorrow would a lot of people be thrilled about it? Most likely no. Its not something any of us want. But that doesn't mean anyone has the right to act like a horrific asshole to Jay acting like they know better about whats best for this site and community than he does.

Point being I am grateful Jay gave us Super Mario Bros Crossover, a site, a community and original content and games. Even if theres a decision he makes that I don't agree with, I'll still be on board with Exploding Rabbit, be understanding and hear Jay out as to why he made the decision. I don't think disrespecting the guy because you're not getting what you want is right at all.

4. Rey D

Patron

Yeah I mean, I did misinterpreted like I told you, as in I understood: "Johnny will be happy with either the game continuing or stopping".
    But apparently you wont' be happy if it's stopped, but rather be simply "supporting"? I think I get it now.

Time for disambuiguigation or something.
    I told you my opinions about your words, as objectively as possible.
    However, I think I did say my support toward his decisions on the first page. you can check it out if you don't believe me.
    And about this:
    I don't think I've ever said that. You can check out though. I don't think I've said that, but maybe I don't know what I'm saying?

Alright thanks for that more clarification.

I don't think anyone has said that. Really? Is there someone acting this way? If they did, they have most probably not posted on this thread, that's for sure. Except if I misread or didn't know what I was saying, that is.

uglyrodent likes this.
  5. Johnny

Rey nobody needs to say anything but if people are sitting around making plans to hijack Super Mario Bros Crossover, its kind of like in a way saying Jay doesn't know what he's doing. Least thats how I take it. Maybe I'm wrong I dunno. But it kind of just seems like a slap in the face to him. "Well if you're not going to do it I'll do it myself". Thats how I took it.

Many of us want to see Super Mario Bros Crossover carry on for a very long time. But if its not the best thing for Jay or the site we have to keep in mind whats the best thing to do overall.

6. Rey D

Patron

You interprete things how you want or something. You shouldn't.
    They only get half-paniced half-excited.
    Wait for their reaction to Jay saying he will continue working on it regularly and you'll probably see everything going back to normal or something.

7. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Nobody is planning to hijack the game.

Some huge proponents thought that if the game wasn't going to continue, it would be best for it to be handled by the community.

Jay had vaguely similar but entirely different ideas.

It was considered on all sides, and Jay has decided it's an eventual possibility but not a current probability.

Both Rey and Johnny have been misinterpreting and putting words in each others mouths, and really you guys both need to just chill the fuck out.

In detail:

Rey, try not to be so aggressive in your assertions. It tends to come off as arrogant and rude. And honestly it kind of is, no matter how you meant it.

Johnny, I understand your grievances but there's no need to make accusations that you can't really back up. Especially since you were the one who was rallying AGAINST a "civil war".

So yes, we're all in the wrong and we all need to step back and realize that. Can we chill and stop discussing these lines of thought now? Move onto something less horribly polarizing?

8. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Okay right let's not get into a passionate argument again.
    So basically in conclusion from this thread everyone loves Jay and SMBC (including Jay himself). We are all happy family and anyone would gladly do anything for Jay to support him like help in work, give advices, make his bed, clean his place, buy a cheeseburger, create and invincible super zombie army for world domination... you know all that stuff Jay would ever need in his life.
    There is no longer point to continue any argument in this thread!

Rey D, uglyrodent and Crownjo like this.
  9. Johnny

We're on the same team here Rey. I mean we both support this site and Jay's works. We could agree to disagree. But truth be told we both pledged money for Super Retro Squad, we both come here and contribute posts and we both try to advise others.

I mean maybe we're both on different paths, wavelengths, whatever I dunno. Maybe a lot of different people are. Overall though I think for the most part many of us want to be as supportive as we could be to this place. I think you could at least agree with me there.

Theres an expression. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Exploding Rabbit will always be the same Exploding Rabbit its been since day 1 regardless of what direction it goes in. No matter what, I think we'll all be here to try as best we could to help better this place.

10. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Wow, the post gave me a shiver for a while. But i understand your decision, Jay. SMBC is a great game, and would be even greater after the port, but now that SRS is on Jay had to make a choice between SMBC and SRS, and managing two teams isn't so easy, i supose. SRS was a better choice because:

1- It's not a fan-game, it's a full, original, commercial game. One that jay can make real money, so he can make more, better games.
    2- It's just like SMBC, just with characters Inspired on those on SMBC, and with more features.

So, i had a quick read thru the thread and i think i got what the overall comunity thinks. (Please correct me if i'm missing/got something wrong)

SMBC Unity Port Canceled means that SMBC can:

1- Stagnate and become 2.0 Forever (Unlikely)
    2- Become a community-driven fan-fan-game with the open sourcing of the project
    3- Be Remade/Ported by the community in case Jay doesn't release the code

If 2 or 3 are true, the people could complain about SMBC "becoming like MKF" by adding too many requests. We have two solutions:

1- Form a request moderation comitee to regulate what should be in and what shouldn't.
    2- If SMBC becomes open-source, form a branch in which more liberal requests could be accepted (Unlikely)

I hardly believe SMBC will be totally discontinued. The community is quite mobilized for remaking/porting/continuing SMBC (From what i've readen). After all, SMBC is a fan-game worth enough to have a fan-fan-game.

And, even if this could be a blind shot, i could say that Jay recieved a e-mail from nintendo asking for he stopping the developement of SMBC. As i said, this could be a blind shot, but if Jay could confirm this, it would be clarifying.
    If nintendo said to keep this a secret just say: "It's a secret to everybody" :p

LONG LIVE SMBC
    :dtmf::dtmf::dtmf::dtmf::dtmf::dtmf:
    LONG LIVE SMBC

Crownjo likes this.
  11. Rey D

Patron

Check only Jay's posts for official infos. Especially the latest and the article.

12. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Thanks. I think i jumped a page by accident, So i missed the latest.
    So Jay will still work on SMBC for some time while his team is on SRS. Only the porting was cancelled.
    After the game's "Finished", Jay would think about releasing the source for it to be driven by (a selected group of programmers, i supose, of) the community.
    This feels and sounds like a good plan. I just hope everything ends well for SMBC.

I really hope ER gets to be a great Indie Game developement company.

13. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

If I ever hear something from Nintendo, I'll announce it on the website. Since it hasn't happened by now, I don't expect it to ever happen.

Rey D and uglyrodent like this.
  14. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Nintendo doesn't C&D flash games. They'd be stupid to try.

15. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

Well I don't care to hijack the game but would like to see a couple if not a few things happen before SMBC has it's climax. Particularly SMBS as mentioned before because the closest thing to Special without it's scrolling flaws is the NES hack which is missing the added enemies. Plus SMBLL just for an extra challenge. Those are the couple of things I definitely want to see but as for other things such as new characters and skins yes there are a few I'd love to see but don't really care if they ever get added.

Mitewing likes this.
  16. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

To clear the remaining doom and gloom I could lead a team from the members on this forum to do a fun project to keep busy. Maybe something that made SMBC big. But not to remake it or fan-fan game. It's a different subject and I need to brainstorm what game should get fancy stuff.

17. Johnny

Nintendo wouldn't. Only Square Enix does that crap. And its only Chrono related games they do that with. Jay hasn't included any Square Enix works in Super Mario Crossover.

18. doom

doom Level -1: Banned

i dont recall showing up.

huang17, BassWins and Crownjo like this.
  19. twinAgkistrodon

twinAgkistrodon Level 5: Spiny

You...
    You...
    Remember Super Mario Bros. X!
    Don't let its memory die!
    :p

huang17 and silentshadowxp like this.
  20. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I thought it was download-to-play?