SMBC Unity Port Cancelled

Super Retro Squad will have too many features to run on the SMBC engine, so the port is canceled.

1. twinAgkistrodon

twinAgkistrodon Level 5: Spiny

I thought I was making a joke? :p

Johnny never specified which post he was replying to. ;)

2. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

I thought SMBC was legal as long as you didn't make any money off of it? Why are your referring to it as an illegal fan game?

huang17 and Alias X Beoulve like this.
  3. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Being hated by a big company pretty much qualifies it for illegal.

uglyrodent likes this.
  4. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Possession is nine tenths of the law, and Nintendo possesses some pretty great lawyers.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  5. Scorpion42

Can SMBC at least have two-player support? As in, two people by one computer? Because that's all I wanted anyway.

I've got faith in SRS. Not being limited in giving abilities to characters means he can create much more diverse characters than SMBC.

I don't see why Jay shouldn't give the reins to his fans if he doesn't want to do the game anymore. Somebody else would probably do their own version anyway. Hell, ReNeX DID his own version.

But there's something special about things being official. SMBC will never be the same for me if Jay leaves the project.

I'm sorry if this incoherent post bothers anyone.

ZeroXBeoulve, Crownjo and Omicron like this.
  6. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Too complicated or something for now, maybe, I don't know.

Jay said he'll continue working on SMBC. Read his last post.

7. Johnny

Johnny Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Well as everyone else says I doubt they'll bother. Especially with the shitloads of Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc. fan games out there. Thats a lot of lawsuits and Cease and Desist orders for Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't seem to care very much anyways about that stuff. They even stopped caring about blocking the homebrew channel on Wii.

uglyrodent likes this.
  8. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Wow, the beginning of this thread was just... disturbing... >.>;

As for crossover, I'm perfectly fine with it not jumping to Unity, though there are still features I'd love to see added to the game if possible. I do agree with A&S that the game really is near complete, and I agree with ER that the thought of "finishing" it sounds cool. Really, with a few more features/characters, and occasional skin updates over time, I would definitely consider Crossover a "complete" game.

I'm glad to hear you considering a level editor, because that alone would increase the longevity of the game by a lot (much like skinning already has). I also agree with what several people said, that simple local 2 player support would be perfectly fine if possible, especially considering it's emulating games from a time where there was only local 2 player support ;). I'd love to see the SMB Deluxe challenges finally included (having already been teased in the skins), as well as other features that were already considered and left unused in the skins. As far as characters are concerned, I think i'd be happy with just Kirby and a Mario 3 version of Mario.

But really, those are just small things I'd like to see. The game definitely doesn't NEED those, they'd just be cool. I'd honestly be perfectly fine if more skins were the only thing added to the game. I support whatever decision you make regarding Crossover, and I can't wait to see how awesome SRS will be!

huang17, Scorpion42 and Mitewing like this.
  9. twinAgkistrodon

I apologized somewhere in CT.
    Let me find a quote:
    Sorry about that.
    I wasn't really thinking clearly, and I also didn't read the article that Jay wrote very well.

10. silentshadowxp

You weren't the one who really stuck out to me, but let's all just forget about it :p

twinAgkistrodon likes this.
  11. twinAgkistrodon

Yeah, I sort of knew, but I'm relatively new, so I'm (sort of) trying not to step on any toes.
    Yet. :p

12. silentshadowxp

I think the biggest reason I'm not upset about this announcement is because I'm looking to SRS to fill the cravings i had for Crossover. Crossover is all about nostalgia, and there really isn't much more needed to help with that. We need more skins added to it, but other than that, the only thing that would really be needed is more characters with unique gameplay. To be honest, there aren't many characters that can't just be added as a skin, so more skins are really the primary thing I'd like in Crossover. And since it's not being ported, that means they could easily start to be added now, slowly giving us goodies to play with. It'd be cool to have a few skins added every couple of weeks, that way we have something to look forward to.

Also, I know for a fact that I could save a back-up of Crossover in Flash in case it were to ever get a C&D, I don't know if that would have been possible in Unity. I'd hate for the current version of Crossover to be the last one that's eternally playable. (note: I never play my backed up copy, I play off the site. I just have it as a "just in case")

There wasn't really a need for Crossover to be in Unity in the first place, other than running smoother, though that's something I personally have never really had an issue with.

Edit: I haven't played Crossover since before the SRS Kickstarter, I love the SRS support banner you guys put under it XD

13. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

Well Jay ain't the only one. Over at a forum I irregularly post on Infamous Adventures they specialize in point and click adventure game remakes such as King's Quest just had a Kickstarter for a game Quest for Infamy and decided not to do any future remakes. So the fan game generation might be coming to an unfortunate end due to needs if money and fears of SOPA and PIPA as well as the desire to make commercial games. I just hope Super Retro Squad will make retail so I can buy it in a store and possibly on consoles not as DLC.

14. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Before anything else is added, I'd like to see the existing characters completed. Also, I have a question. I know 4 player online multiplayer is not possible, but is two player local multiplayer possible with Flash?

huang17 and silentshadowxp like this.
  15. silentshadowxp

It's possible, it just depends on whether or not Jay wants to work on it. I would love it if he did though. He could use Crossover as a way to test multiplayer ideas for SRS!

uglyrodent and Mitewing like this.
  16. Scorpion42

I don't see why he shouldn't. It would be the most retro, true-to-the-roots style of multiplayer, especially with GamePads.

huang17, silentshadowxp and Mitewing like this.
  17. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

I don't know if it will ever happen. But at least there will be updates regardless.

Scorpion42 and Mitewing like this.
  18. Gokario

Gokario Level 3: Paratroopa

New levels? I smell Super Mario Bros 2j.

19. 8bitwizard

8bitwizard Level 5: Spiny

I think many of us have forgot the true reason anybody makes games, for the fun of it.
    jay i am not trying to be a hater but it seems like you are just making games for money.
    sure it is nice to pick up a few bucks now and then but when you focus on the money making of games you lose some creativty if not all of it.
    now i am not saying SRS should be cancelled or that it's bad, i am actually pretty hyped for the game.
    if any of you understand what i am trying to say please do not hate me for it this is just my thoughts on this situation.

20. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

But that's the point. It is to make money so we do something in our lives. It's how things work. We can't stick with one game forever. You can still make money while not losing creativity. Having creativity is the reason why Exploding Rabbit will expand more.