SMBC Unity Port Cancelled

Super Retro Squad will have too many features to run on the SMBC engine, so the port is canceled.

1. 8bitwizard

8bitwizard Level 5: Spiny

i know i am not saying he shouldn't make money i am trying to say i hope this game doesn't end up being a smbc reboot with different characters and a different sound track with a tiny story

2. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Jay knows what he is doing. You should wait till they show gameplay. Nothing to worry about. :)

BassWins likes this.
  3. 8bitwizard

8bitwizard Level 5: Spiny

thanks i guess i got kinda overwhelmed by the fact that we might not see another update or more characters added to SMBC.:\

4. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Jay has straight up said that this game will be a HUGE difference from SMBC; hence the entire reason for this thread.

SMBC is the starting point, and I'm sure they'll feel similar, but it won't be basically a reskin.

Although would that be such a bad thing? Jay has been working on this for YEARS. If tossing in some custom graphics and sound is what it takes to make some money off of several years of dedicated work I don't see how that's a problem.
    I think he plans to continue work on it, but I could be wrong.

Rey D, BassWins and Crownjo like this.
  5. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

He is. Just minor stuff and maybe new levels.

uglyrodent likes this.
  6. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Don't worry, we're not giving up on SMBC. :) It just won't be receiving the same kind of attention as we had originally planned.

Mitewing and silentshadowxp like this.
  7. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

I just hope Super Mario Bros. Special levels get added with the new enemies and power ups at least for Mario and Luigi. I'd play the original but the way that there is no scrolling just screen transitions it's kind of annoying and the hack just doesn't seem like Special because of missing enemies and power ups. At least we got Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels in 2 incarnations the All Stars version which was dumbed down I admit isn't 2j but the Virtual Console version keeps it true to the original. Special doesn't have this unfortunately. Well with exception of emulators and you still have to deal with the crappy non scrolling screen transitions.

Mitewing likes this.
  8. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

The Super Retro Squad's goods in short:
    * making money ;
    * expanding gameplays and graphical possibilites ;
    * moving to a more powerful platform ;
    * some more.

8-bit wizard. You may not have pledged for the Kickstarter, but please, check out the updates about the campaign. They contain key informations, so getting aknowledge of them will avoid making yourself false ideas and making people post about infos already made official via those updates.
    Thanks.

9. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

It doesn't make someone a sellout just because they want to make a living doing what they are passionate about.

10. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I absolutely agree. There seems to be this idea that if you want to make money off of something, you've become a corporate sellout. The thing is, everyone needs money to survive, and if you can make money while doing something you love, then great! Refusing to make money because it's your passion doesn't even make any sense. It's not as though it is more "noble" to get evicted and starve to death on the streets than it is to earn a living doing what you love.

11. Johnny

Johnny Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Maybe you need to stop automatically jumping to a certain popular member's side and start looking at the thread more objectively. Then you'll be a lot less disturbed by the things people like me say.

Forum politics. Just like high school. Stand up to the captain of the football team and the whole school comes after you. Hence why those people "stand out".

I could care how popular someone is or how many people love them. NOBODY should have the right to act arrogantly towards me and take some elitist attitude. People can't just do and say what they want to me and expect me to be nice back to them. If anyone around here wants respect from me they have to give it. Its only fair. Otherwise I'll continue to give back nasty replies each time they dole them out to me. If you guys hate me for it so be it. But why should I have to put up with anyone's crap. Because someone is popular around the forums? I don't give a crap if someone in this place is your friend, if they disrespect me I'm not gonna put up with it. Plain and simple.

I gave my opinions in this thread. I don't need someone to come along and treat me like an idiot. An opinion about the direction of Exploding Rabbit is an opinion.

12. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

Johnny you are getting too out of whack about this stuff. Just calm down take a breather. Anger will get you nowhere I should know I went to jail cause of my anger and had to spend a year going to court and a mental health facility.

13. silentshadowxp

Who says I was even talking about you? And what politics are you talking about? If anything seemed like politics in this thread it was when people were running for who would take Crossover out from under Jay's feet before he's even done with it. Actually, that's exactly what I was referring to was that situation. I was disturbed by how it seemed like people were willing to quickly toss Jay aside and take Crossover as their own project.

I'm free to say that, with no politics involved. You should get off of your high horse thinking that everything is about you, and single me out as if a few words that I said make any real difference to anyone. I'll quote you when I say "I gave my opinions in this thread. I don't need someone to come along and treat me like an idiot."

(I'm having a bad week and I'm super cranky, and your bad attitude towards me really isn't making things better)

uglyrodent likes this.
  14. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

Jay, have you thought of releasing the source to SMBC as your final act before cancelling it entirely? Open it up to the masses.

15. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I'm pretty sure SMBC isn't being cancelled.
    Do you mean the source to the Unity version? I'm not sure how much of that exists.

16. silentshadowxp

I think he means waaaaaaay down the line when Jay does eventually decide to end it. Which I believe I remember him saying that he liked the thought of that, but I don't know where he said that, so I could be wrong.

17. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

If you read earlier posts, you'd see he said he wasn't gonna cancel the game.

EDIT: Double ninja'd.

silentshadowxp likes this.
  18. silentshadowxp

:ryu::ryu:

Scorpion42, TheomanZero and BassWins like this.