Request Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by pokemondream, Feb 7, 2011.

1. chidoriss

chidoriss Level 1: Goomba

[quote="FuZ, post: 131802"
    None of the genesis/MS/NG Pocket classics has this feature.[/quote]
    Actually, in Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic had an orange shield which gave him the homing attack. Still, it would be way overpowered, so he shouldn't have it.

2. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Let's pretend Sonic 3D Blast never happened.

Anyway, I have to agree that the homing attack is overpowered. Maybe it's helpful in 3D games, but in 2D it's fairly easy to aim. I know it was in Sonic Generations, but it still seems like it would just be a crutch.

3. fire sonic power

fire sonic power Level 7: Bloober

It kinda works but I still wouldn't recomend it.Like UR said it's extremely overpowered and it feels out of place in an 8-bit game.

4. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Due to recent events I'm going to politely ask that everyone keep any Sonic Boll discussion in its own thread.

5. Metalhog

Metalhog Level 6: Lakitu

But one thing is true: Sonic Boll brought to reality all of our agreements of how this character would work in this thread and on the old Character Requests thread, and we saw it with our own eyes how fun it is. Sonic Boll team agrees that this is something that Jay would consider. How about all of you here?

I think we just don't have to just throw away the point we arrive. It's just months and months of discussing. Sboll is still a good reference, still Jay put it clear that he prefers to do his own Sonic.

6. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Well, we shouldn't discuss the game itself, but the nature of the two kinda means it WILL pop up a lot as reference material...

7. Anter

Anter Level 5: Spiny

What about these sprites?
    sonic2.png

8. fire sonic power

9. Anter

Are they from The Spriters Resource?

10. fire sonic power

How should I know? They look custom made and not worth the use.

11. Anter

OK, I only suggested...

12. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Has anyone tried to take official Sega sprites and NESified them? Basically make them look like they're from an old school NES game?

13. Anter

I tried. And one more moment: pirates made 2 Sonic games for NES.

14. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Our concept of an 8-bit Sonic is almost completely defined for now, so... How would an 8-bit Tails work? I'm not creating a thread for this because of him being naturally a modified copy of Sonic.

My current thought differences are:
    -He can jump 16 pixels less than Sonic
    -He can fly and swim for either infinite/short time, and during this he's vulnerable except from above
    -While flying, thrusting causes slowdown while during hover he can hit max speed.
    -He can run slightly faster than Sonic (As seen in some Sonic2 situations)
    -He can't activate Elemental Shield abilities or do insta-shielding

So, what do you think?

Also, i have investigated and found out that the only games that don't let you control Sonic after you jump out of a spin are the Genesis ones. Every 8-bit sonic allows you to.

15. Metalhog

Metalhog Level 6: Lakitu

I think that's it, ReneX.

I was talking about this with FSP:

FuZ

I think that he can be as he is on Sonic 3

2:09pm
    FuZ

Basic: He's just like Sonic on Sonic boll, except that he hasn't the insta shield but he can fly.

1:58pm
    fire
    exactly. Also some may not notice but tails could also cause damage with his propellors

that could work right?

2:10pm
    FuZ

Mushroom: Now he can spindash, and his speed and flying time increases as Sonic. Yes Tails always cause damage with his propellors.

1:58pm
    fire
    ya

2:11pm
    FuZ

Fire-FLower= He is invulnerable of fire damage when using fire and attract rings when using lightning. But.. He can't do double jump, neither fire burst.

Speed increases as Sonic. Tails is always faster than him.

2:00pm
    fire
    not much to work with here.

2:12pm
    FuZ

Flying time increases as he get power ups.

2:01pm
    fire
    That's why I'd rather play as knuckles

2:13pm
    FuZ

I thought on one crazy idea, but it would be so much non-canon: when getting star, *TAILS* would take up his Tornado with missiles and rockets.

2:02pm
    fire
    that sounds like a final smash :p

2:15pm
    FuZ

oh yeah! LOL! [​IMG]

2:05pm
    fire
    Than make him simply super tails.

No wait the correct term is hyper tails

Flicky Army of Death!!

JoMamma and Omicron like this.
  16. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Just moving a quote.

17. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I agree with ZeroEdgeir above, and I think that the most important point is number 2. Sonic's levels are wide and sprawling, both horizontally and vertically, with lots of slopes and curves to build up speed. SMB's levels are mostly flat and relatively claustrophobic. Sonic would either breeze through them or constantly crash into things.

18. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

99% of my deaths in Sonic Boll were because of it.

roman6a likes this.
  19. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Sonic Boll proved the contrary.

1.So what? Nitendo/Not Nintendo doesn't matter anymore.
    2.You can platform very well with Sonic too, and speed is not an issue at all. Actually it's more fun than playing with Mario. You can just spindash under Bowser as he jumps, or use the insta-shield to go through some hammers.
    3.The Sonic Pocket Adventure sprites are perfect, they're not either too big or too small. And plus it's 8-bit.

@TheomanZero: Sonic has proved his value at platforming as the Elemental Shields were added. Have you ever played Sonic Boll?

@World1-1: Sonic was changed a lot to fit with the SMB levels, but still it's hard to go through some parts. But it's no big deal as it's not supposed to be easier/harder than SMB anyway, it's just about playing different characters.

20. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

While I think Sonic Boll is very well made and quite enjoyable, I don't think Sonic quite belongs in the SMB world. The level design really does hinder the entire purpose of Sonic's character. If you play him as a normal platforming character, he works rather well, but the levels are not conducive to just blazing through.

Another point I'd like to make is more related to Sonic Boll itself, though it does relate to the overall "Sonic in SMBC" discussion. This point has been made before, but I'll make the point again: the Fire Shield, while an obvious power-up choice, is incredibly broken in the castle levels. The vast majority of the obstacles in the castles are fire-based, so making Sonic immune to those obstacles makes those levels a joke, which is unfortunate because they are supposed to be the climaxes of each world.

I would recommend making the Lightning Shield the power-up from the Fire Flower, with no other options (since the Water Shield would be too weak).

Anyway, I've made that point before, so I'm done now. I just wanted to reiterate it, since I've tried it out in Sonic Boll and it truly is quite broken.