Request Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by pokemondream, Feb 7, 2011.

1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Sonic would need to always have a way of breaking bricks because of the low hang in 1-2, unless he can break bricks from rolling into a ball after running. Still, though, every character needs to have a way to reach all of the power-ups, and the Star in 1-2 can't be reached if you can't break the bricks or hit it from the side/above. I'd suggest he always has the Insta-Shield and just gets the Spin Dash when he gets a Mushroom.

Drowning in SMBC is incredibly impractical and simply cannot be included. The only instances in which the character goes underwater are those in which the character is underwater for the entirety of the stage. This is simply one of those things that cannot be transferred over into SMBC.

Interestingly, I would say given the new power-up system (as well as the inclusion of Firebar immunity granted by the Varia Suit), giving Sonic at least Firebar immunity when using the Fire Shield is completely reasonable. Also, given how easily power-ups can be switched out by grabbing other power-ups, there is no guarantee Sonic would have the Fire Shield in every castle stage anyway. :)

Omicron likes this.
  2. Nutty20

Nutty20 Level 3: Paratroopa

1. He can just Spindash under the low hang :\

2. Well, all the characters have there downsides. Drowning would be Sonic's. There would be Air Bubbles for Sonic if he didn't have a shield .

3.That makes me think of another idea:

The only weapons that Sonic cant have at the same time are shields. Speed Shoes and Red Coins will stay there.

3. sbq92

But what if he doesn't have the Mushroom? Then he can't use the Spin Dash, unless you mean running and rolling.

I suppose this could work.

I'm not sure how well the speed shoes would work in SMBC, especially as a permanent item. They were never permanent in the Sonic games, so they shouldn't be permanent in SMBC. They could be lumped in with the temporary Star effect, since moving that fast in SMB is dangerous anyway.

As for the red coins...I'm not sure what you're referring to.

4. Nutty20

1. There is a mushroom at the beginning of the stage. You must be crazy to miss it :\

2. Eyup

3. The Speed Shoes are mostly for people who are impatient or Speedrunners. Besides, there are a lot of things in SMBC that weren't in the original.

4. I have been waiting for this question. If you beat Sonic Generations and collect all the Red Coins in the levels, Classic Sonic gets to use the homing attack.

5. sbq92

The point is that you could get hit and lose the Mushroom, then you're stuck. Sure, you could argue that a player has to be pretty bad to get hit between that mushroom and the overhang, but that's not the point. It's not about whether or not there is a Mushroom nearby, or that the player ought to be better at the game, but rather it's a matter of having to be capable of getting through the level regardless of the power-up level of the character.

Omicron likes this.
  6. Nutty20

Thats true..

He can just run and roll then, but he still can't do an exact Spindash.

7. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

I have a truckload of ideas but i'll say just one:

Starman gives 10 seconds of Super Sonic.

8. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Why not just have it be...yknow...a Starman?

9. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Every documented interaction between Sonic and a Starman depicts it as ten seconds of Super form. If you think about it, Sonic's regular invincibility is a shield. The Invincibility Shield. And everything points that Starmans are condensed sources of energy. Mario uses them to go invincible, because he has no apparent control over its power. However Sonic knows how to use raw power to become Super because he does that with emeralds and rings already. The rings are necessary to catalize the emeralds into releasing their energy, however a starman is very unstable and bursts into a lot of power in an almost chaotic fashion. Power Stars are just stable Starmans that can be used as direct power sources, pretty much as batteries. They exhaust. But Emeralds do not exhaust because they're a condensing point for energy coming from the world.

So yeah, being Super with a Starman makes so much sense.

And i'm not taking that out of thin air. I'm building that from the mix of all my knowledge of both series.

10. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Er, does Super Mario Bros. Z really count as "documented"?
    The only actual in-game example of Sonic getting a Starman I can think of is Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and there it just makes him invincible like everyone else.

uglyrodent likes this.
  11. uglyrodent

Super Mario Bros. Z is canon for neither Mario nor Sonic.

I can see where this works conceptually, but then why doesn't each character get their own starman?

It seems weird to me that Sonic gets special treatment in regard to that powerup is all.

Especially since it isn't seven chaos emeralds. It's one starman.

12. sbq92

I think this sounds really awesome. However, I don't think it belongs in SMBC, unless, as UR sort of suggested, each character were to have a unique Star effect. It just sounds too complex, and it drifts too far from the original manner in which Sonic worked, namely a simple power-up that makes him invincible for a short period of time. Because such a power-up exists in Sonic's games, it can and should be transferred into SMBC with this function.

uglyrodent and Omicron like this.
  13. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Ironic that the Sonic Boll team wants Sonic turn Super Sonic with the Starman yet they can add that in Sonic Boll...

If Sanic would be in this game I think it should be from the Sega Master System one. Stop giving him the royal treatment.

14. Luigicat11

Luigicat11 Level 2: Koopa

How about homing attack instead of double-jump?

15. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

howaboutno.png
    The homing attack is absolutely pointless in a 2D platformer, let alone one as basic as SMB1.

uglyrodent, fractor and BassWins like this.
  16. uglyrodent

I have to agree. The Homing Attack had it's place in the awkwardly built Sonic Adventure, and was a valuable tool for aiming and a fun mechanic.

But it was there to help hit enemies, and if you need help hitting enemies while playing in two dimensions you're just bad at video games.

And I know it was in the Sonic Wii game that I forget the name of. I don't support it there either.

twinAgkistrodon, fractor and BassWins like this.
  17. MissingNo2

Sonic Colors was still technically 3D, but it was mostly 2D, so you kinda have a point.

18. Luigicat11

Luigicat11 Level 2: Koopa

Just throwin' ideas out there...

19. uglyrodent

No, not Second Colors; I think I mean Sonic 4. But I dunno if that's it's actual name. It's a download though, not a physical disc.

20. MissingNo2

Oh, Sonic 4. That was also on XBLA and PSN, so I was confused.
    But yeah, I see what you're talking about fully now.