Official Sophia III: Your frog is in another castle!

SOPHIA III, from Blaster Master, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

This thread is specifically for the in depth discussion of SOPHIA III in Super Mario Bros. Crossover. Feel free to post hints, tips, tricks, ideas, suggestions, impressions, etc.

Wiki Page: http://www.explodingrabbit.com/wiki/SOPHIA_III

2. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I'm first! HA!

Seriously, I'd like to discuss in detail about adding Jason as a character and how he would play. First I think entering and exiting Sophia 3 could be done by pressing down and special at same time when near the tank. I haven't played Blaster Master much but know there's a top-down section while playing Jason. What can we bring as far as weapons and abilities to SMBC with him? Discuss.

Edit: Yay! My 100th post!

3. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Jason can also be played in a non-top down version; but the thing is, SOPHIA is about 10 feet tall (not joking), so when Jason comes out he is tiny. This could be useful in certain situations, but since his gun does less damage, he is tiny (think half a block tall), and he cannot climb...

This is a great idea in general, but I think a LOT of work would be needed to make Jason not suck.

4. Mitewing

I agree work has to be done. There are other games in the series where we could get other ideas. I think Jason shouldn't be as powerful as SOPHIA, but he should be unique and fun to play at the same time.

5. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

This is incorrect, because the reason Jason gets out of the tank is to

a) get into a small space

b) to go up a vine or ladder or whatever.

So yes, he CAN climb.

6. Mitewing

He can also SWIM!!!

7. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

He's my thoughts on Jason. When you beat Bowser and roll down to Toad, Jason should park Sophia once you touch the axe-like thingy, and then run up to Toad. Get what I mean?

8. aliceandsven

That's a good idea

9. MDK

MDK Level 1: Goomba

Just a cosmetic detail I've been wondering about: at the character select screen, wouldn't it make more sense for Jason to be standing next to Sophia and climb in when selected, instead of the other way around?

10. aliceandsven

Yeah, I'm not really sure why Sophia's select animation wound up the way it did...

11. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

This is in the Feature Requests wiki already. I think it's a great idea.

I've wondered this myself at times. It would certainly make a lot more sense.

12. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

That does make more sense. If Jason were implemented as a separate character, here's an idea. Put your cursor over Sophia, and press the Special button. Jason would then jump out of Sophia and then you'd play as him. If you wanted Sophia, instead of Jason popping out like he does now, Sophia could do something like hover off the screen.

Mitewing's idea is also interesting. Down + Special would work, and Down + Attack could work to, as Sophia does not duck or anything like that. Or, Sophia could be changed around a little, and Down + Attack would fire missles (like in the original Blaster Master) and Special would make Jason pop out.

13. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I have a modest request for Sophia: when you jump up into a block and cling to it, can it "bump" the block (release anything inside or kill enemies on top), as opposed to Down + Jump which breaks the block? A more extreme version of this would be that Sophia "bumps" every block it drives on the underside of (you could clean out a 10-coin block just by driving back and forth, for example), but that would probably make Hammer Bros. too easy.

14. uglyrodent

For the record, I am vehemently opposed to having the mouse play a function in SMBC. It simply will feel less like an NES game to me.

But I do really think Jason would make a great character.

15. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

I agree.

Well he can't really do anything special, especially not in platformer-mode. I'd rather prefer if he and SOPHIA were the same character.

16. uglyrodent

I agree on this; he is weaker in every aspect. I still think including him would be really cool, but there would need to be changes on some part to make it a viable option.

17. Mitewing

I don't find the fact that Jason is weaker should be a problem. He's supposed to be weaker when you compare him to a FLYING TANK. I think he would provide an extra challenge trying to beat the game by himself. I envisioned his gameplay would be like a small Mario with a weaker fireball attack. If one thinks he's too weak they can keep him in the cockpit and just play as SOPHIA.

18. Scorpion42

So you think he should be the same character as SOPHIA? As in that he works like in the original game? Because that's how I'd like it.

How about on the character select screen, Jason is standing (and walking when you hover above them) in front of SOPHIA? And then when you select them, he jumps in and they hover off the screen?

19. Mitewing

Yes. I think he should play just like in the original game. He should be a part of SOPHIA'S gameplay. I wouldn't want him any other way. I also agree with you that Jason should jump in and not out when selected.

20. Scorpion42

If you finish a stage while outside SOPHIA, should you have her in the next stage?