Official Sophia III: Your frog is in another castle!

SOPHIA III, from Blaster Master, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I saw some complains about how short SOPHIA is.

I personally find it convenient to be able to sneak up here and there whearas some characters can't.

So why?

TheomanZero and uglyrodent like this.
  2. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Because her cannon ( :V ) size is about eight feet tall and 12 feet wide (or roughly two blocks high, six across).

And for some reason people hate having a character you can actually play? I'm not sure anyone who complains about it really thought about how big SOPHIA really is. Her sprites display at her original resolution though, and it's not like any other characters have complaints about their size (did you guys know that normal Mario is about five feet tall? So Super Mario is closer to ten feet? This means Ryu, Samus, and everyone else except Link is a fucking GIANT compared to their real sizes).

3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Why does Sophia have "helper" platforms in underwater levels?
    I'm guessing that the code is currently set up so a character either has all the "helper" platforms, or none . . . and since Sophia needs them in land levels, she has them all of the time. If other characters like Link and Simon get new underwater abilities, they might end up in the same position.

4. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

What happened to the Area 6 music? It doesn't play on night levels anymore :(

EDIT: Nevermind, it does now.

5. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

was the suck turned up to 11 on Sophia's hover? From like, 3/4 of the screen up, if I hover I can still end up in a pit due to the amount of upward momentum it gives being cut by what seems like 80%.

Not digging that at all. :blank:

6. Rey D

Patron

Don't have any horizontal speed when you hover. Problem solved.

7. Nemephosis

1. It's vertical speed when you're going up and down. If you're going to come in and be irrelevant, at least get your damned terms straight.

2. That solves nothing. Hover is meant to get you out of situations like that and AFAIK does not work like that in Blaster Master.

8. Rey D

Patron

I did mean horizontal speed. If your horizontal speed is 0, your hover makes you go up. If it's any superior, you fall.

It's called balancing.

9. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

So "balancing" means "completely butchering what you already knew about a certain move to make it more annoying to use"?

10. Zunar

There was a bug I reported a while ago (back when the first version of SMBC that had Sophia was released) but it never got fixed and it's really bugging me. I'll bring it up again: Most of Sophia's GB music is sped up faster than it should be.

11. Rey D

Patron

That's more or less what I imagined. I can't really talk in Jay's stead, but considering the code was totally solid for Sophia's moves, there's hard chance this is unintentional.

12. Nemephosis

So what was all that bullshit about going for accuracy and all that again?

MissingNo2 likes this.
  13. TheomanZero

With 16-bit Sophia III, does anyone else hear a sort of echo after the Level Clear theme, or am I merely insane?
    Also, I had a strange and possibly impractical idea: currently, Sophia doesn't use any special sprites for sliding down the flagpole. What if when you touched the flagpole, the cockpit opened and Jason grabbed the pole with his hands?

Scorpion42 and Mitewing like this.
  14. AkumaXX

AkumaXX Level 3: Paratroopa

(If Jason hops off SOPHIA after taking the axe at stage end,)
    He shall take falling damage according to original game.

Also I have to wonder why frogs. There is actually a frog in game, which is... a boss.

15. TheomanZero

16. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

I love how there's a not-entirely-buried box of radioactive 'stuff' sitting just a few yards from the family garage that nobody seems to have noticed. :D

Mitewing likes this.
  17. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Happened more often than not during the 80s!

Faruga and ThomasMink like this.
  18. AkumaXX

AkumaXX Level 3: Paratroopa

Now I know why... This clip is missing in the Japanese version!
    Also a difference: In FC version, SOPHIA III starts in some base, but in NES it starts in a cave.

19. Zunar

It's not "missing", it's different; the FC story is COMPLETELY different from the NES version. For example, the planet's name is SOPHIA III, not the tank, and the boy's name is Kane instead of Jason.

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  20. Metal

Metal Level 0: Newbie

I have thinking,and,how about a Metal Slug (SV-001 or Black Hound in this case) skin for Sophia III?I think it's a good one.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014