Speaking at World's Fair Use Day

Discussion in 'Exploding Rabbit' started by Jay, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

They just sent me an invitation through my contact form and I agreed. They're paying my travel costs. That'd be sweet if you can come. I'm also meeting up with one of my friends from high school. Also, According to the law, I'm pretty sure that SMBC doesn't qualify for fair use.
    I don't think I'm giving a speech. I'm not really sure at all what I'm supposed to do. I figured I'd just go there and people will ask me questions or something.

2. yerffej

yerffej Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I'd go, but seeing as how I live in Alaska, it would be pretty tough to get there without spending two billion dollars. You should get married AT the event instead of the day after. Congrats on both by the way.

"Can you put (unfitting character) in SMBC?"
    "Can you give Mega Man his old jump back?"
    "Can I be a mod on your forums?"

3. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Congrats, Jay! Sounds like an awesome opportunity!

4. Johnny Excitement

Johnny Excitement Level 1: Goomba

So the feds could shut you down if they wanted? Again, I'd hate to see you shut down, especially now that 1.2 is out. When I saw that on facebook, I literally jumped out of my pants (not meant to be dirty)

5. Omar Daniel Bonilla

Omar Daniel Bonilla Level 1: Goomba

Congrats on the speaking gig! Though as you say SMBC probably doesn't constitute "fair use", you've done your best to remain faithful to the games without directly competing with Nintendo's goals. Hopefully this counts for something.

6. Please

Please Level 6: Lakitu

I'm pretty sure the feds can't do shit unless Nintendo or one of the other companies do something. I doubt any of them will. Jay also put a message in the beginning of the game that you can't skip. And Jay's not selling the game. And nobody's going to play SMBC INSTEAD of buying Mega Man 9.

7. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

There's only one small problem. Start up SMBC, play as Mario, free Super Mario Bros. experience.

To avoid trouble like this, Jay should announce this game to be a hack of sorts--that is, make players own some form of the original Super Mario Bros. to be allowed to play, whether that be All-Stars, Deluxe, or the flat-out original. That way, if anyone attempts to do the above, it is them that gets in trouble, not Jay.

8. yerffej

Happy World's Fair Use day. How did it go?

9. Please

Please Level 6: Lakitu

I seriously doubt Nintendo cares. How many people decided not to buy the VC version of SMB because they could play SMBC for free?

Besides, there's no reason to be worried until sites like this start to get shut down. Perfect to the original SMB game without any downloads and for free. Plus, there are many NES ROM download sites that are still fine.

And don't think Nintendo doesn't have the power to do this, either. Nintendo has been making people take down downloads for new DS games. This clearly shows Nintendo is paying attention and it shows they had to have noticed the NES ROM downloads on the same sites. They didn't even care.

10. yerffej

Congratulation on the marriage too (spelt wrong on purpose, like an NES game)

11. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

Title: Speaking at World's Fair Use Day

Title of Article: Speaking at World's Fair Use Day

Damn, that's a lot...oh well

I'd love to know how it went, Jay! Like what you did there, obviously. BUT WE AREN'T NOSY BITCHES!!!