Stripped version for older systems

Discussion in 'Features' started by Ravicai, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Ravicai

Ravicai Level 2: Koopa

This game is a beast. It's so jam pack full of features that it makes lesser PCs cry. Even on nicely spec'ed systems I've noticed additional latency in joystick response compared to older versions of SMC. Not a ton, but even a few ms difference can be felt to a veteran player.

The new features are just too wonderful to do without though. I think if I had to give something up it'd be the themes and skins. Would this reduce the size of the game enough to give a performance increase? Maybe a NES only version with just 8-bit music and graphics?

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

It mostly slows down because of SNES musics.
    Just go in OPTIONS > GRAPHIC OPTIONS > ACTIVE SKINS: NES

3. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

It's not just SNES music, though. I have a decent system and I run into the few ms delay issue as well, and I always play with only the NES skins active. I just have to restart Firefox, but sometimes even after just loading up the game it will do it occasionally.

I don't know if I would use a stripped down version myself, but I support the idea if it can be done fairly easily. :)

Ravicai likes this.
  4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Well, multiple people have had issues with this, so an SMBC Lite may be called for, if it's not too much effort to set up. Default skins and music only, I guess. I'd keep using the full version of course, since my system is custom-built.

Ravicai likes this.