Request Suitless Samus/Zero Suit Samus skins Gameplay differences

Discussion in 'Features' started by Mitewing, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I think I mentioned this on the Samus skin thread, so I thought to make it an official request. In Metroid Zero Mission and the Smash Bros games, this version of Samus has different abilities, so I thought I'd propose some gameplay changes based on those games.

Advantages: Faster running speed, Higher/More Agile jumps

Drawbacks: No Morph Ball/Bombs, No Long Beam obtained with Mushroom

Faruga likes this.
  2. BBQTurkeyzZ

BBQTurkeyzZ Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

since the gun zero suit samus uses is a stun gun, wouldn't the ice beam be useless?

3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

"No morph ball" "no long beam"
    How does Samus survive with these conditions ?

4. BBQTurkeyzZ

there was a crawl/roll thing in other m, we could use that

5. Rey D

Patron

Instead of taking source in the latest Metroid game, you could take Zero Mission, where Samus does crawl, you know.

But is setting a whole another crouch movement really necessary for just a skin ? After all, the Zero Suit in SMBC is based on the original Metroid.

6. BBQTurkeyzZ

why not say that in your original post then
    i haven't played zero mission

7. Rey D

Patron

Why would I need to say that ? My first post here is a question, not an info booth.

8. BBQTurkeyzZ

instead of saying
    "
    "No morph ball" "no long beam"
    How does Samus survive with these conditions ?"
    you could have said
    "
    "no long beam"
    How does Samus survive without it?
    "No morph ball"
    Instead of a morph ball, Samus could use her crawling ability from Zero Mission."
    it would save the trouble of having to point me out for being wrong in the first place and add an idea faster.

9. Mitewing

Her speed and agility, basically. But it's SUPPOSED to be a little more difficult since she doesn't have her Power Suit. I'm all for crawling, but currently there's not enough space for crawling sprites to replace the Morph Ball sprites.

10. Rey D

Patron

I don't think you've read the part where I say "But is setting a whole another crouch movement really necessary for just a skin ? After all, the Zero Suit in SMBC is based on the original Metroid."

Also imagine if everyone would be like you and say "Why didn't you say X idea in your first post ?". Imagine if I were like you, and tell Mitewing "Why didn't you say that Samus could use her laser whip from Smash Bros ?". It's just not how it works.

Hmm... And what would she do against Bowsers ?

11. Mitewing

She still has missiles, Ice Beam, and Wave Beam, although the beams are short range. I'd imagine the agile jumps could include Space Jumps, or anything similarly canonical to the character.

12. BBQTurkeyzZ

yes but the original metroid didn't have the zero suit, it used the justin bailey suit. the justin bailey suit was just an easter egg while the zero suit is actually canon. the justin bailey suit was a reskin of samus and thus had access to all the upgrades she previously had, the zero suit is a limited function of samus that is literally samus without her suit, and thus the only things she has is a stun gun and her basic human abilities (jumping, crawling etc). the zero suit in smbc was made to play like the justin bailey suit to make it easier to add in without changing powerups and abilities.
    all in all, it's just a suit, and this discussion is going nowhere.

13. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

She should play like Zero Mission. All she has is a stun gun that freezes enemies but can't kill them, and she can climb up ledges, and can crawl through spaces. Perhaps, to make her more balanced, she can jump on some enemies.

BBQTurkeyzZ likes this.
  14. Rey D

Patron

Samus without mushroom is notorious for being awfully weak against Bowsers, who are most commonly found in those small rooms, and sometimes with hammers. If she is always short-ranged, she'll most likely never pass Bowser, save if she grinded up some missiles for the first few Worlds.

It's exactly what Zero Suit in SMBC is to Samus. Skins were implemented for quick costumes that would be only graphical. That was the purpose of it. Using tweaks of already present functions like freezing for Ice Man only came later on. You and @A.D.A.M. suggesting totally new mechanisms like crawling and ledge-grabbing goes against the purpose of skins.

Faruga likes this.
  15. French rocks

French rocks Level -1: Banned

Her gameplay would be way too different than Suited Samus', and the Jump cheat would be useless on her.
    She could almost be considered as a different character with this gameplay.

16. BBQTurkeyzZ

isn't this what the thread is about?
    the music and sounds also change
    it's not really totally new; pit can walk while crouched which is kinda like a pseudo-crawl

17. Rey D

Patron

It's new in the sense that she has to go from crouch to a whole another stance, with a whole another hitbox and animations that couldn't be done back in Metroid.

Mitewing likes this.
  18. Mitewing

She would still have the Mushroom, just not the Long Beam. I would think improved jumping abilities and faster running speed would help make it more fair.

19. Rey D

Patron

What I mean is that current SMBC Samus can't get past Bowser without Mushroom because of her close-range. Were she to never get long-range, she would never be able to pass without sacrificing all her powerups by getting hit.

Mitewing likes this.
  20. Mitewing

The only other idea I have is weaker attacks or like someone mentioned the default beam could only stun enemies.