News Super Mario Bros. Crossover 2.0 Released

Super Mario Bros. Crossover gets skinnable graphics and a new power-up system.

1. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

I'm actually surprised that I've still been working on it. I've been working on the new game a lot, but I've been checking the bug forum and fixing stuff on SMBC a bit here and there too. So maybe I'll add stuff periodically.

In the past, I'd stop working on the game and not touch it for a while. I kind of changed though. I work way faster now and am a lot more patient. I like working on SMBC, I just don't like when it consumes my entire life. But yeah, since I'm way better at programming now and our skinning system is done, I can add stuff way faster than I could before. I do plan on at least doing those 2 characters and the lost levels. After that I'm not sure. We'll just have to feel it out.

2. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Well I know the fire wands call under enemies. I was playing invisible enemies (not map) and I couldn't see them. It wouldn't be half as bad if they were considered map objects, but clearly they are not...

You don't mean the whole Lost Levels game itself, do you? Cause... holy shit. IIRC LOst Levels was a whole other game... speaking of that why the fuck do I not have it on my DS in the emulator. Duh.

Also, someone made a wicked Zelda skin for Link I hope you include. It would rule massively.

3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Firebars, podoboos and fireballs are both in the ennemy sheet.

uglyrodent likes this.
  4. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Will there be poison mushrooms and wind in LL?

5. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Poison mushrooms are in the world skin sheet, so I'd assume yes for that.

Rey D likes this.
  6. Nemephosis

OH. THAT'S WHY. FFFFFFFFFF

I see why they didn't release it in the US until All-Stars. God DAMN IT. I lost all my lives by world 1-2. Part of it is Mario handles like he's a road runner on crack.

7. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I hope life meters are added for Lost Levels.

8. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

OH! That's what those little green things are on the map sheet. Leaves! From the wind in LL! :awesome:

silentshadowxp likes this.
  9. Nemephosis

I hope that if they do, it's an option. If other game characters are going to be in the SMB world, they should follow the SMB rules. When an American travels to Spain, you're under Spain's law. Same deal.

10. sbq92

I'm not sure why Lost Levels would bring life bars, unless Mitewing just means the same version that brings LL brings life bars as well. I do suspect that if life bars are added, they won't be optional. Obviously I have no idea, but historically, and change of that nature that SMBC has seen has been non-optional. (I suppose Mega Man's jump may count as "optional", but I wouldn't consider having to use a cheat a valid form of making something optional.)

11. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I just said that because of how ridiculously difficult LL is. Lol

sbq92 likes this.
  12. Nemephosis

It's only hard because Mario controls like Speedy Gonzalez. No idea why they changed that.

I had a LL .nes ROM but it won't work on my DS Acekard, so I had to get All Stars. Unless anyone can find a working one?

13. Rey D

Patron

It's amusing how I feel like SMB3 graphics feels more like Game Boy Color-ish than SML2 graphics. :p
    And that's why when I play with a Game Boy Color skin (Link, Simon, Mega Man and Bass feel the most GBC-ish as skins), I turn map, ennemies etc to SMB3.

14. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Now that I've played around a bit, it amazes how fantastic the game is now. And trust me, that's NOT to say I didn't enjoy it before! Actually quite the opposite! However, in previous versions I was more of a Mega Man nut.. in this version, playing as anything but 'random character' feels like I'm missing out on over half of the game.

It's amazing what was all added to the game and what was all changed. Downright brilliant!

As an aside, here's some random thoughts and things I noticed:
    Samus is missing her tutorial. Yea, I turned them on and started over after playing as Bass and getting stuck because I didn't know he could double jump.. I'm a noob like that, haha.

Maybe it's just me, but I liked it better when Mega Man had a lower jump and Rush Coil.. felt more true to the games I grew up with than the funky high jump. I had no issues with Rush. :)

Mario's control is a LOT more true to the NES. Kudos there! I hated using Mario in previous versions.

Been said in another thread, but, an option to tie character skin to the same console as the map would be a nice addition.. like you can with enemies and the interface. I started playing with random maps, but found it annoying to have to change my character skin on every map.. so now I just pick a single console and stick with it.
    EDIT: 'Might' not be as much of an issues once new level skins get added.. *shrug*

uglyrodent likes this.
  15. Rey D

Patron

Jay. You lied to me. The loading screen is not skinnable.

roman6a and Faruga like this.
  16. money grip

money grip Level 2: Koopa

while you've already gotten a lot of feedback, i'll post in this thread again. i loved all the new skins and such on my first playthru.

now that i've unlocked all the cheats and won it several times, i'll say that the new gameplay changes are the real prize, and have definitely improved the game + replayability. great work, everyone involved. thanks again!

17. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

Word.

18. sbq92

Man... Mega Man level skins are ridiculously difficult. They don't follow the normal patterns that other game skins generally do, and so fitting them nicely into the theme sheets doesn't work very well. They're a lot more complex. I have an idea I'm going to try for them, but it may not be feasible. We'll see.

roman6a and ZeroXBeoulve like this.
  19. Rey D

Patron

For some reason, the Game Over screen when lost as GB Link (and with music set as character) doesn't make me want to select any option.

roman6a and silentshadowxp like this.
  20. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

For some reason, I find it very amusing to collect Link's boomerang upgrade using a boomerang :)