News Super Mario Bros. Crossover 2.0 Released

Super Mario Bros. Crossover gets skinnable graphics and a new power-up system.

1. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Something I meant to ask a while ago but forgot, will we at least have everything currently shown in the skin templates by the time you're finished working on Crossover (Rush Marine, Rush Jet, Treble Boost, Magma Bazooka, red coin and yoshi egg challenges, playable Jason, Link's ladder, and Mario's ability to hold shells), or are their fates essentially up in the air at the moment?

Thinking about it, Crossover really is nearing a state where I would be content with it no longer being in development. Skins really help flesh out the character roster, and make levels seem fresh and new (which is awesome considering it's a game that's as old as I am). I can really only think of a couple characters I'd want that skins couldn't really give us, the above features in question, and possibly multiplayer. I don't expect all of that, but I can't really think of much else that the game needs. It's already really close to what I would call "complete".

Jay and Ryuza, you guys have done an incredible job with this game!

2. Jeff

Jeff Level 3: Paratroopa
    Patron

Just wanted to say how incredible this update is. It feels so much more like I'm playing the games the characters are from, it's incredible. And the fact that you can only kill enemies by methods the characters actually killed enemies in their games (and not by Mario methods) makes it much more challenging and immersive. Well done, Jay!

sbq92, Rey D and roman6a like this.
  3. BassWins

BassWins Level 6: Lakitu

I agree in all meanings of the word.

4. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Actually it is. The text matches whatever skin is currently set, and that is decided at random. The ER logo as mentioned before is not. So you cannot choose the skin for the loading screen, but it is skinnable. So ha.

roman6a, Dinospy_01 and uglyrodent like this.
  5. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ I meant the screen where Mario walks and with a big counter of coins at the middle of the screen. So hey.

roman6a and uglyrodent like this.
  6. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

That is gray territory right there. I didn't consider the loading screen to be part of the game. The game is a separate file that the preloader downloads. So ho.

7. Rey D

Patron

→ I suppose you win this time. But I'll be back. So huh.

8. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

You should all thank me for handling ALL OF THE YOUTUBE COMMENTS when the trailer came out. I had to deal with a bunch of idiots, but it turned out O.K. I think I even made Jay more money by encouraging them to donate, since they all say "TAKE MY MONEY, AND MY BABY" or some crap like that.

9. Rey D

Patron

Any comment?

10. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I can't remember if I actually had that dream or not.

But if I did it's hardly prophetic. Mega Man had the moon jump way back in the 1.0 and 1.1 days, so I already knew how he functioned without the Rush Coil.

But I said double jump, meaning two jumps (I never use it to refer to a really high jump). Maybe I guessed Bass just a little bit?

11. Rey D

Patron

Oh right Mega Man has got a high jump, not double. Completely forgot.

uglyrodent likes this.
  12. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

So has the upcoming update have an official version number? Is it 2.5 or something else?

13. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

It will likely be 2.1.

Rey D and Mitewing like this.
  14. Mitewing

Jay just posted on Twitter that the update will be bigger than expected. Does this mean more skins and how this affect the release date?

uglyrodent likes this.
  15. sbq92

We still expect to have it out in time for Christmas. As for the nature of the update, there are quite a few skins being added. This update is going to be pretty awesome. :)

World 1-1, Rey D, uglyrodent and 2 others like this.
  16. Mitewing

Awesome sauce! Btw, did the Alchemy release help with the music emulation?

17. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

Do you know how many of these skins without spoiling who they are are female?

18. sbq92

Not including Samus (she's already female), the update will include at least 3 new female skins, possibly a couple more. :)

19. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I'm kind of hoping "bigger" means more kinds of stuff rather than just more skins. But whatever, it's all good.

TheomanZero and Mitewing like this.
  20. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Well skins equals a lot of testing, respriting, the addition of music, and other adjustments.

There might be more than skins but it might just be more work than they anticipated. I wouldn't get my hopes up :\