News Super Mario Bros. Crossover 2.1 Released

This update for SMBC includes new skins and faster music emulation.

1. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Well okay I am glad the stuff is cleared up about the Haggle Man skin. I just did not looked at it too much and because it is dark colored I did not noticed all the outlines and shades. And when I heard it has the same 8-bit music I thought it is just like Dark Haggle Man.
    Surprised by the music though, the 8-bit Haggle Man uses music from a different game already so it's easy to get some SNES ninja game music for the 16-bit sprite. Like there is Hagane that has good music and a lot too. I dunno maybe there was not enough time for it.

2. pinkpuff

pinkpuff Level 3: Paratroopa

Um...

3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Oh . . . I haven't finished trying out all the new skins yet, and when Foxfiend mentioned the 16-bit Haggle Man skin I thought this is what he meant. But I'm glad to hear that skin was finally finished.
    EDIT: Just tried out 16-bit Haggle Man and love it!

4. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

The best way to describe the gameplay changes is that it combines the best of 1.2 with 2.0!

5. ooyk

ooyk Level 1: Goomba

the game is like almost every single one of my SMBC's dreams come true. so epic! filled with tons of dreams come true.

6. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

You mean that every character could actually beat the game without problem and everything worked and felt right? Honestly 2.0 for me more felt like a 2.0 beta as it had some broken unbalanced things. Too many things felt like no idea how well that could work.

Mitewing likes this.
  7. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Yeah, Jay's plan was to try to bring back the 3-tier power-up system (normal -> mushroom -> flower) while still keeping the extended power-up system of 2.0. So basically, everyone (or almost everyone) only needs to pick up 2 power-ups again to be at full strength after getting hit. I think he achieved this very well.

We were uncertain what to do about Mega Man and Bass, however, since they have a lot of power-ups. I think they work pretty well, though, considering they are reasonably strong without any power-ups anyway.

EDIT: Oh, btw, I would like to point out that Link's mushroom power-up does actually increase his sword's strength, it's just not enough to one-shot a goomba, which in turn makes the Magic Sword more worthwhile. :)

Mitewing and ooyk like this.
  8. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

That's Jay's programming prowess alchemized in a beautiful update.

Most of the game's content are skins, however, so we must thank the entire community for making skins for the game. It makes the game so much more awesome with all those choices!

I got surprised by the lack of a 16-bit SMB2 Peach and Toad. however, when multiplayer comes in, having 4 friends to play as the SMB2 Quartet will be awesome, being it 8 or 16-bit! :D

In short: AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!

So Jay said he will make smaller but more frequent updates. I like this way! Since it's a side-project now i would like more updates in less time, even if smaller ones.

Can't wait for the levels! :awesome:

TheomanZero likes this.
  9. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I just noticed that Sophia's hover now only decrease your falling speed instead of pushing you up.
    However, it does push you up if you're not moving horizontally.
    Is it supposed to happen?

10. pinkpuff

pinkpuff Level 3: Paratroopa

Well I just downloaded Chrome and it seems to work perfectly in that. Once I get to 6-4 I'll let you know if I still have the lagging issue with the firebars that I had in the previous version.

Rey D likes this.
  11. Rey D

Patron

Okay I totally multi-liked that one post.

12. Sergy92

Sergy92 Level 7: Bloober

New Super Mario Bros 2!! (For real this time)

13. Rey D

Patron

Oh the Simon castle beating screen is so funny! :D

14. Mitewing

It looks like the bag of money is talking to him. Lol

15. Rey D

Patron

I just noticed that if you play the Super Mario World map skin with "Music Set" as "Map", it will play the SMB3 music instead of SMW music. Is it normal?

EDIT:
    Well I was playing with SNES skin, so it was an orb who was saying: "The true orb is in another castle". As if it wasn't really an orb. :p

16. Dinospy_01

Dinospy_01 Level 5: Spiny
    Exploding Patron

This update is fantastic! Thanks so much for everyone's hard work! I love the additional Link skins - and playing as Rokko Chan is pretty rad. I think it's pretty cool that an indie game is referencing/borrowing from another indie game, maybe it's something we could see more of - depending on the different kinds of skins people make.

Rey D, aliceandsven and Mitewing like this.
  17. Mitewing

I played the NES skin and it was a bag of money saying the heart of Dracula is in another castle or something like that.

18. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

I agree that 2.0 may have been a sort of beta version compared to this. I didn't even spend much time playing 2.0, but when I did, I didn't like the power up system. I feel it's much more fun now. And I'm glad we have a lot more skins. It makes all the time we spent designing the skinning system worth it.

19. Mitewing

There was a 16 bit version of Ninja Gaiden for TurboGrafx-16. Maybe that can be used. My main concern is what to do for music for a 16bit Pit?

TheomanZero likes this.
  20. ZeroEdgeir

ZeroEdgeir Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Actually Ninja Gaiden I, II, and III were all ported to the SNES as a single multi-game cart (legit release too), so easy source of 16-bit ninja music there too ,if too much of it wasn't used for Ryu already.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588532-ninja-gaiden-trilogy

I have a feeling that this info was already used though for the 16-bit content for Ryu anyways.

TheomanZero and uglyrodent like this.