News Super Mario Bros. Crossover 2.1 Released

This update for SMBC includes new skins and faster music emulation.

1. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"I think it's pretty cool that an indie game is referencing/borrowing from another indie game, maybe it's something we could see more of"

I think some "mainstream" indie games like Super Meat Boy do this, it's kind of a popularity circle jerk. But what's nice about this is that Rokko Chan isn't a very well known game, but it's exceptionally good and deserves the attention.

Rey D has also said he's contacting King Soukutu to tell him about it; we asked him initially if he'd be ok with Rokko Chan being in, he said yes and to let him know when it happened, so I'm interested in seeing what he thinks now.

TheomanZero likes this.
  2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I believe both of the music options need to be set to "Map" to hear the SMW music. Otherwise you'll hear the music associated with your character's console. I assume you were playing as a NES skin?

Regarding Rokko Chan, perhaps we could convince King Soukutu to get a NSF made of his game's music, or at least contact someone ourselves to see about getting one made. Right now, Rokko is using MM10 music, but I'd love to see her use her own music.

Rey D likes this.
  3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I think this would be a good idea for 16-bit Haggle Man's music since I'm pretty sure Ninja Gaiden Trilogy's music was already used for Ryu. This way you would have three slightly different versions of the same music for three different skins.
    As for Pit, I have no idea.

Mitewing likes this.
  4. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Nope. Was playing with SNES skins.
    Sorry I didn't specify what SMB3 I heard. It was the SNES SMB3 music.

Oh.
    Well...
    I didn't wait for you to suggest that. :p
    But I'm glad to know that if he does send the files, it will get in SMBC.

5. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

So, why am I not credited for that SMB3 font fix I ripped for you guys?

6. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I just played the Super Mario World skin.
    Ghost Bowser in World 7-4? Blew me away.

sbq92 and Mitewing like this.
  7. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

The whole world is full of genius stuff. I would dare to say Super Mario World skin is the most epic for me yet for all the cool little things.

Mitewing likes this.
  8. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Holy.. Quick Man! This just makes me happy to see. :D

Course, I notice quite a few differences from the sheet I made a year ago.. which is really understandable when you think about it. I have no idea how that stuff will actually work and perform in the actual game.. buuuuut.. that being said, I feel I should nitpick.

I think my choice for the shooting pose would work better, but.. that's all a matter of opinion. The one used works well enough.

And on a final note... the lack of a dash is a bit surprising. The faster run speed makes a bit of sense, but if he's going to lose the dash then this should probably be upped even further.. if only slightly, then so be it. And if he's to lose the double jump, he should probably receive the 'high jump' from the old Mega Man days. It's something he could do in MM2 anyway.. so eh.

P.S. Huge props on the MM2 themed weapons! Seeing both forms of Heat Man's Atomic Fire (the chargeable shot Mega Man uses, and the 'flame blast'-like weapon that Heat Man himself uses) makes me squee! :D

EDIT: Post edited.. just replayed a bit. Seems I was quite mistaken. Think my eyes are going bad in my old age.

Mitewing likes this.
  9. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I created a thread in Features about Quick Man's jump. Check it out. I think it should be higher than what it is now. Would love to hear more input.

10. shogunwarrior64

shogunwarrior64 Level 2: Koopa

been playing 2.1 on and off last two days liking the smb3 snes and mario world skins,also the new character skins such as pit and quickman

11. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Probably because they didn't use the font you ripped.

12. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

There's "Console" and "Set" for the music settings. Each character skin is set up with one music setting per console, and then each map skin is set up with a particular music setting. So, if, for example, Console is set to "Character" and Set is set to "Map", then playing on a SNES map skin will play the character's SNES music. So, you'd hear the SMB3 SNES music if playing as SMB3 SNES Mario or Luigi even though you're playing on the SMW skin. Does that make sense? :p Play around with it a bit. It is working properly, it probably just seems weird to hear SMB3 music with SMW graphics.

Sorry, I thought about it at one point, but it slipped my mind when I updated the credits. I'll make sure that's fixed. :)

I'm glad you like the MM2 weapons. They seemed fitting. :)

The changes were made mainly because of alignment issues with the separate arms. Your shooting pose was good, but it was impossible to align him properly with that pose so I had to change it.

DarkBowser100, ThomasMink and Rey D like this.
  13. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Bah! :)
    Truth be told, I did know it didn't match evenly when compared to the other stances like running and idle.. but I didn't know that would be an issue.

Still awesome to see move around and do stuff though to see how it all looks 'in motion' so to speak, so please don't take my nitpicks wrongly. :)

sbq92 likes this.
  14. ManniManni54321

ManniManni54321 Level 3: Paratroopa

I prefer SMBC2.1 to SMBC2.0!!!!!!!!:D:awesome:._o:!:

15. shogunwarrior64

i dont know if this is the ER's team sense of humor but when ryu beats bowser all it says is "thank you ryu but the dragon sword is in another castle XD

16. aliceandsven

Wait what

The dragon sword was NES canon?

Also yeah, every character / skin now seems to have a different "castle end" screen

17. shogunwarrior64

i lol'd at simon's/trevor's "sorry but the true orb is in another castle".
    it made me think of ryus castle end,shouldnt it be irene or whatever her name is? idk

18. Uprising

Uprising Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

OMGOMGOMGOMG

Thank you SO MUCH Exploding Rabbit crew. I have wanted Pit in the game for 2 and a half YEARS. And you would barely notice that he was a skin! He is so accurate from the music to the gameplay to everything! I just beat the game with him and I love 2.1!

Now all we need is some Batman.

uglyrodent likes this.
  19. aliceandsven

Does he really have a "screw attack" ability?

20. shogunwarrior64

is anyone else having a problem on the part of 1-2 where you have to do a running crouch with mario or luigi,
    they sorta get locked into a crouching position and cant jump,or anything else.