Super Mario Bros. Crossover 3.1.2

Super Mario Bros. Crossover gets a classic power-up mode.

1. superevelingltigyy10

superevelingltigyy10 Level 1: Goomba

2. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

...I need to find Jay and give him a hug.

Develon, Frozsoul and Mitewing like this.
  3. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

Uhmm... what did you just try to do? I don't get it.

MissingNo2 and Mitewing like this.
  4. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I really hope he didn't interpret my accidental confusingness as spamming is allowed.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  5. Nat

Nat Level 6: Lakitu

The modern Mario and Luigi colors are wrong.
    These are the correct ones, straight from SM3DW.
    [​IMG]

MissingNo2 and Mitewing like this.
  6. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I played SMBC last night and the night before. I will probably also play tonight to get de-stuck from World 8.
    So far it can get frustrating, especially out of lag spikes, but eh.

I am very glad of all that was added to the game, and any skin work that I did that wasn't added in, is work done to improve my skills, so it's a win-win situation (think about it, all who complained about their works not added).

Sooo yeah, good job, me likey, and I'm not done discovering stuffs yet.

7. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I just noticed Peach and Rosalina look like LoZ Zelda.

Faruga likes this.
  8. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Probably because SMB1 and LoZ1 virtually had the same art style.

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  9. BTB

So, after going home and playing a bit... here are some random thoughts:

First of all, if you spend too much time fucking around with the skins, you can slow down and even crash the program. I imagine this is to be expected since it hasn't been very well-tested and all, but I wanted to note that. Not sure exactly how much "general lagginess caused by playing around with the options" counts as a bug and if I should report it in the bugs forum.

Second of all, the classic power-up system sends Mega Man from being nearly-unusable to damn near the front of the pack. Using his subweapons in previous versions tended to get me killed more often than they helped, and the ability to use them while still using my normal weapon is *exactly* the boost they needed (not to mention how nice it is to be able to summon Rush again with a single dedicated button). His only real disadvantage at this point is being unable to deal with armored enemies unless you give him the Hard Knuckle, which is otherwise a totally useless weapon. This leads me to point number three...

Certain characters are unable to deal with armored enemies unless you give them specific weapons. Bill needs his machine gun swapped out with a flame thrower, but everyone else is fine with their default settings. This sucks a little bit for Simon and Ryu, since you're pretty much pigeonholed into using certain weapons. Frankly, those two (along with Bill) are the only ones I think are actually think are well-suited to playing in modern power-up mode, since it's less about collecting power-ups with them and more about getting ones that are beneficial to your current situation. You *could* turn on "all weapons pierce" when playing in classic mode to counteract this and allow for some variety with attacks, but I think this may detract a bit from their individuality (it would also probably make Mega Man a bit OP).

In conclusion, I'd say that the classic power-up mode is ideal for a game where you're playing with more than just two or three characters, since it's far less of a chore to max out everyone's power-ups and you don't really get set that far back if someone dies (remember that this game originally only had one character who only needed two power-ups to be at full strength). Modern power-up mode is far more suited to single-character games, or at most "all character" games wherein you're only using two or three of them. Like I said above, the only characters that I really think work best for for modern power-up mode are Simon, Ryu, and we'll throw in Bill for an even three. That said, the only one I flat-out refuse to touch outside of classic mode is Mega Man.

Alkerion and Rey D like this.
  10. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

This is probably just general lag from running the game long enough.

11. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

@BTB Thanks for the feedback. It helps me to be a better game designer.

Alkerion likes this.
  12. BTB

That's definitely not the case. I stopped and restarted several times because I was checking out how each character handled in classic mode now... but I'd only been playing for about fifteen minutes.

Hey, any time. And congratulations; you and your dev team have a lot to be proud of.

ThomasMink, Alkerion and uglyrodent like this.
  13. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

What does the "Classic Special" option do?

14. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

See latest version history:

ThomasMink and Rey D like this.
  15. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

You know what? Super Mario 3D World skins shoud have Super Mario 3D World music.
    [​IMG]

Faruga and MissingNo2 like this.
  16. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

If SM3DW music is tracked, and could be ripped and converted to a format SMBC's Music Emu can read, this wouldn't be too hard.
    Or you can just get a SM3DW Soundtrack on Youtube and play it while you play SMBC with music off. ;)

Faruga likes this.
  17. MissingNo2

I thought the image made it clear he was joking.

18. AkumaXX

AkumaXX Level 3: Paratroopa

Question first: If a powerup is too high to reach for certain characters, and no bricks can be found nearby, is it a bug?

19. MissingNo2

No. If it was something that prevented you from completing the level, then it's a bug.

20. AkumaXX

AkumaXX Level 3: Paratroopa

Second question: If both "Music console" and "Music set" are "random", shall we hear music of other characters? For some reason I can mostly hear the character one and Mario one.