Super Mario Bros. Crossover 3.1

People have been asking for The Lost Levels to be added to Super Mario Bros. Crossover for a long time, so we decided to do it.

1. NES Boy

NES Boy Level 3: Paratroopa

Pros: Although the Lost Levels are based on the versions seen in SMBDX, at least World 9-D are actually included.

Cons: I would have liked to at least have map skins based on Metroid, the Mega Man games, Contra, and Ninja Gaiden before the game is considered "done". That way, all of the playable characters would have their worlds represented. As is, only Mario, Luigi, Link, Simon, and Jason have skins to call home.

Oh, and you didn't correct the shirts and suspenders in Luigi's SMB2SNES, SMB3SNES, and SMW portraits.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    Mitewing likes this.
  2. Nitron_ZX

Nitron_ZX Level 5: Spiny

sweeeet, update yesss
    lost levels yessssss

more skins yessssss

these are all good and awesome additions to the already expansive and awesome SMBC, I must say~

As a final update, it's certainly made a show, in my opinion. mostly.

it makes me a little sad that there won't be any bug fixes though. with the whole of lost levels now conflicting, I can imagine it being difficult to forsee them all.
    unless you ARE doing bug fixes and "final update" didn't apply to those.

and I suppose my only other complaint is 3.1...
    sure you can't add like two lines of excuse code to get a better number? XD;;

say 3.14

Faruga likes this.
  3. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

We'll still fix any major bugs that are found. Please report bugs ASAP because Blaine is leaving soon, and he won't be able to work on the game anymore after he leaves.

Faruga likes this.
  4. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Can you specify a date or something?

5. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Next Monday, the 23rd.

6. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Disappointed that no more updates will be coming for SMBC, even small 'skin updates' with nothing else to them other than that... but, I guess I knew it was coming eventually.

That said, I guess this is one way to go out.. with Lost Levels being added, which a lot of people wanted for quite a while.

And of all my skins added, Fire Man was honestly one of my least expected. I figured he wouldn't get added until some of the extra frames also got implemented so the fire on his head would have more 'life' to it. Also surprised he stayed grey. :) It's one of those things where I was fully expecting him to revert back to white because that was 'official' in MM1.
    But yea, of my skins I was expecting Darknut. He seemed the most 'plug n play' of them (palette not withstanding), which is something I noticed while working on him. Everything pretty much lined up very near to Link.

Either way, thank you for the years of fun from this game. And I'm sure I'll get some more. Even the skins were fun to work on, which was honestly probably tied for being my main reason of doing the ones I did. If I didn't find doing them at least somewhat enjoyable, I wouldn't have did them at all. So hey, thank you for also getting me to dabble into prodding pixels and such.. which I honestly never really did before until skinning here.

Now.. to go enjoy the game a bit more thoroughly instead of the quick-ish glance I gave it. :p

EDIT: Hah! Just noticed Fire Man reverts back to his MM1 color scheme when using his coil. Nice touch! :D

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    Mitewing and Faruga like this.
  7. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I like how the main music set for SMBS was changed to SMBDX :D

sbq92 and Mitewing like this.
  8. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I noticed a couple oddities with the skins.
    Quint has the Leaf Shield. Was that intentional? And Quick Man's Magma Bazooka (which is SOOO awesome!!!) isn't the Air Shooter. Anyway. I am so glad Quint, Skull Man, Fire Man, the other Dark Samus(es)?, Dark Pit and SMB1 Luigi and all the extras especially the Lost Levels are added. I love how the Easy levels have coin arrows in the castle mazes. I LoLed. It's definitely bittersweet posting this. But enough chat, time to play the shit out of this game!!!

Faruga likes this.
  9. sbq92

Quint having the Leaf Shield was intentional. I grabbed weapons from the GB games for him.

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  10. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

I have a question; if any bugs are found after he leaves us, would it be possible to go back and fix them after SAS is finished?

Mariofan5000, Nitron_ZX and Faruga like this.
  11. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

As much as I wanted the skins in my sig to make it into the game, and as much as I wanted to work on a couple more skin ideas I had (like the 8-bit sprites of Peach, Toad, and Rosalina found in Super Mario 3D World), I can't really say that I'm not ready to move on. In fact, I have been for a while. I've actually recently taken to making a Minecraft skin using the different Crossover skins (which I'll make a thread about later).

This game has been a huge inspiration to myself, and I am extremely grateful for its creation and the ability to participate in adding content to it (something that you don't see much of nowadays). Thank you Jay, Blaine, and everyone else for all of this.

As for the update itself, I'm extremely glad to see Quint (the first character skin I ever worked on) added to the game! Also, I love that he has the leaf shield, great idea!

Super excited to see LL as well. Can't wait to see the easy and hard versions of the levels either! I'll give more feedback later once I've gotten more time with it.

Until then, it's been a pleasure having Blaine working on the game (hate to see him leave, though I'm sure he'll still be around the site), and best of luck to the rest of the team on their future indeavors!

Mitewing and sbq92 like this.
  12. sbq92

I suspect if the bugs are serious enough, Jay will fix them whether I'm here or not. We can't really predict what kinds of things might crop up over the next few weeks.

Dimpsy likes this.
  13. CowboyJoseph64

CowboyJoseph64 Level 6: Lakitu

I don't see why not. I mean, IF not, jay apparently said that he MIGHT add the level creator he promised as a bonus update, which would be the only window left to fix a few more bugs and, although it's very unlikely, maybe a few more skins.

14. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

If ever a level editor is added, I hope a skin editor/creator is also added so the community can add the remaining skins we'd like to see by using the existing music/content!!!

Mariofan5000 and Dimpsy like this.
  15. CowboyJoseph64

CowboyJoseph64 Level 6: Lakitu

OMG YES. YES YES YES INFINITY YES. It would be extra work, but it would satisfy everybody's skin demands while they're working on Super Action Squad.

Mariofan5000 and Mitewing like this.
  16. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

Is this a bug?
    SMBC_LL8-1_Impossible_Bass_Jump.png
    In Lost Levels World 8-1 on Normal Mode, Bass (using the Skull Man skin in this case) cannot pass this jump. Even if I do a dash start and then do a double jump towards the end, I always fall short. You simply cannot get past this chasm without Bouncy Pits turned on.

ThomasMink and Faruga like this.
  17. sbq92

Definitely a bug. I had forgotten that Bass doesn't use the horizontal or vertical helpers. I'll come up with a solution.

Faruga likes this.
  18. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Sorry guys, but a skin editor could never work because it'd take forever to program. You have no idea how complicated our palette system is. It's so complicated that after Blaine leaves, I won't be able to fix any issues with palettes because I don't remember how it works, and I don't want to take the time to relearn it. I can always ask him though.

The level editor I wrote is awesome, but it's not complete enough for the public to use because there are still some things that have to be done in code (mainly setting map themes), and there isn't any way to upload the levels into the game. I'll have to see how much demand there is and how long it would take me. Also, the level editor requires Unity to use. Unity is free, so I figured that wouldn't be a problem. I don't have enough time to make a standalone level editor. By the way, it's also possible for someone to make their own level editor as long as it outputs the data correctly. If someone did that, I'd make the modifications to the game to allow for uploading custom levels.

I think people are taking all of this the wrong way though. I'm ending work on SMBC because I'm confident about how SAS is going. That game will carry on the legacy of SMBC, and we'll be able to make money off it, so it will be sustainable. SMBC is not sustainable for us to work on. Everyone should be thankful that we did as much as we did on a free game.

Rey D, Faruga, ThomasMink and 7 others like this.
  19. Goomba98

Goomba98 Level 3: Paratroopa

Do the Lost Levels have wind? Because you said the physics were based off of Deluxe.

20. sbq92

The Lost Levels maps do not have wind.