Super Mario Bros. Crossover 3.1

People have been asking for The Lost Levels to be added to Super Mario Bros. Crossover for a long time, so we decided to do it.

1. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

That's the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Nat, Nitron_ZX, ThomasMink and 4 others like this.
  2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Any place where a brick was used instead of a castle block was intentional, in order to allow for other characters to be able to pass a section or whatever. As for the ceiling block, I can't do anything about it if I don't know where to look. Remember, though, often times changes like this are intentional for a variety of reasons. This is SMB, SMB2, and SMBS with 8 additional characters and somewhat different gameplay physics, so often changes simply need to be made to make the levels playable.

It is possible. I actually had the princess there for a long time, but decided to change it to Toad since in this version of Lost Levels, there is no sense in which World 8 is the final world.

3. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

I think it was in World 6-4 or close to it.

4. sbq92

You'll have to be more specific. I checked 5-4, 6-4, and 7-4 and found nothing out of place. I used the SMAS maps when making the castles, so ceiling tiles and other tiles should be in the right places. If you could post a screenshot or a specific level and difficulty that would be very helpful.

5. Mariofan5000

Maybe in the previous/next castles? It was the first time I played the Lost Levels in SMBC so I don't remember where it was. I might have to play to find it. It was on normal difficulty.

6. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

As you play through and notice things... you could take screenshots and such, you know. Pause the game when posting it (requires another tab, but eh). Doing so avoids these kinda things. ;)

sbq92 likes this.
  7. sbq92

I think I may have found what you were talking about. In 5-4 Easy there was a ceiling tile I accidentally placed among a bunch of other ceiling tiles I had added for Hard mode, so it wasn't easy to find. It's been fixed now, though.

ThomasMink is right, it would be incredibly helpful if you could take screenshots as you see these things. It would probably also be best if you posted them elsewhere, such as here.

8. Mariofan5000

OK, only things I noticed are:
    World 2-4.png
    Under the firebar blocks in World 2-4, A-4.
    World 8-4.png
    This from World 8-4.
    The fact that there is overworld music in World 9-3 when there is supposed to be castle music.
    World A-4.png
    This, World A-4.
    World B-4.png
    That block arrangment is different in the original.
    World C-4.png
    The entrance block ends at the wall, using the wrong-ish tile.
    And the last two firebar sections aren't difficult enough compared to the orignal, seems that this level in SMBC is a complete copy of 7-4, which is not entirely so in the original.
    World D-4.png
    I'm not sure if this platform is supposed to look like this, but it could be.
    World D-4 2.png
    Self-explanatory.
    Guess the block was in another difficulty, but the lag disallows me to look there.

ThomasMink likes this.
  9. sbq92

@Mariofan5000 :

1) That's a result of the way the ground tiles interact with Firebar blocks. I might be able to do something about it, though.

2) Already reported and fixed. Regarding the 9-3 music, though, I hadn't realized it. That's an easy fix.

3) Fixed.

4) I lowered the power-up block for characters that need vertical help, but I forgot to lower the block against the wall. Fixed.

5) Nothing I can do about the tile, but it's very minor anyway. Regarding the firebar section, I made some adjustments to the section to allow all of the characters to actually pass it.

6) The platform was extended for characters that need horizontal help.

7) Already reported and fixed.

Thanks!

ThomasMink likes this.
  10. Mariofan5000

I meant that I'm not sure if that is what it's supposed to look like, not the length.
    EDIT: Now that I think about it, I think the misplaced block was in another difficulty for sure. I could've sworn I saw it.

11. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

@sbq92 @Mariofan5000
    I think 3) looks kinda cool. I mean, a platform poking out of the lava? Awesome!

12. sbq92

Ah, okay. It is supposed to look like that. I remember even double checking myself at one point because it looked a little odd, but when I checked the maps they verified that it is supposed to look like that.

13. sbq92

@Mariofan5000 :

I looked into #1 from your screenshots, and because of the way the ground tiles for the castle theme are set up, I won't be able to fix it.

14. AkumaXX

AkumaXX Level 3: Paratroopa

Question: Does green springboard kill?

15. Mariofan5000

No, it only shoots you into the sky for a bit, until you fall down.

16. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

... What? Why on earth would you think that?

Faruga likes this.
  17. Mariofan5000

Found stuff in Easy Mode castles:
    World 5-4.png
    Found the misplaced block.
    World 7-4.png
    Were these :brick:s supposed to be here?
    World 8-4 2.png
    After passing through the correct path in normal, this :krl: appears out of nowhere and lands on the moving platform.
    World 8-4 3.png
    Um...
    World A-4.png
    Reusing old screenshot to save time, but this is still in Easy Mode.
    World B-4 3.png
    Check this map to see what's wrong with this part.
    World B-4 2.png
    Shouldn't this :pipe: take me to the warp zone? It doesn't work.
    Also, :pipe:s in SMAS castles are supposed to be green.
    Speaking of the Warp Zone...
    World B-4 4.png
    To fix the wall on the right, I suggest you make a :ground: that would turn into :step: when using 16-bit maps.
    This would work to fix such wall problems in World 5-1, 9-1 as well.
    World C-4 2.png
    Shouldn't there be an invisible :?: right about here?
    World C-4 3.png
    These are supposed to be ceiling blocks, not :brick:. And there should be a block right next to the :cblock: above.
    Also in World D-4, Zelda's sprite in BS Zelda uses the same palette as the player much like in the original LOZ, so her dress should change color accordingly to Link's tunic.
    EDIT: Why isn't my 16-bit Roll skin in the game? All there is is a Mega Man 8 styled Roll.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  18. sbq92

@Mariofan5000 :

1) That's the one I found after you had reported it. Fixed.

2) Yes, it's Easy mode, I made changes like that. There are a lot of extra coins and coin blocks in Easy mode.

3) The red Koopa was mislabeled. Fixed.

4) Already reported and fixed.

5) Fixed when I fixed the Normal issue.

6) That's not how it looks in the NES version.

7) Already reported and fixed.

8) Weird, I thought I had already done that for all of those types of setups. Oh well, changed.

9) I took it out so someone wouldn't jump into it while trying to avoid the firebar. It's Easy mode so there should be plenty of other power-ups to get.

10) See 2). Also, while I agree it would be cool for Zelda to match Link's palette, the Toads and Princesses don't have palettes set up, and it's not worth setting them up just for a couple Link skins.

19. AkumaXX

AkumaXX Level 3: Paratroopa

If you have played "Syobon's Action", you will know why. (All springboards there kill.)

I have found walkthroughs on strategywiki.org, about the original "Lost Levels". It seems that some features cannot be done here:
    - Blowing wind.
    - Some fast firebars.

One thing may need to be adjusted in Lost A-2:
    - After the normal exit pipe, place a few coin blocks behind that pipe, so that if someone destroys all bricks behind, but wants to return to normal route, doesn't need to use cheats or stage selects.
    Referring with an image there. Notice that the block beneath the exit pipe has been replaced with coin block, as SMBC standard.
    [​IMG]

20. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

I've played it, but that really is not something Nintendo would do.

Faruga likes this.