Super Mario Bros. Crossover 3.1

People have been asking for The Lost Levels to be added to Super Mario Bros. Crossover for a long time, so we decided to do it.

1. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

One thing has been bugging me ever since 2.0. It's the fact that SMAS enemies stay the same color everywhere unlike the original SMAS where they had different colors for each environment.
    Also, just to try to show you what Bowser is supposed to be like as opposed to what he's like in SMBC:

There is also that Bowser's Twin doesn't start the boss music in SMBC, and that you're limited to NES sound effects.

2. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

What are you talking about? That's been in the game ever since 2.0.

3. Mariofan5000

In SMAS, Koopas turn a bluish green when underground, while in SMBC's 16-bit skins, they stay the same shade everywhere.
    EDIT: Proof:
    World 1-1.PNG World 1-2.PNG

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Why didn't you mention it sooner? I simply hadn't realized they changed to a slightly different green. It was easy enough to fix.

There's a glitch that causes Bowser to sometimes stay as his Bowser sprite when he dies. He is supposed to turn into a Goomba/Koopa/whatever, and he at least sometimes does so.

5. Mariofan5000

That's not what I meant. I know it's a glitch, but it bugs me that the ones in World A-C don't even change to a different enemy before falling off as Bowser. And that Bowser's Twin doesn't start the music, and that he looks different in the 16-bit skins, when they are identical in SMAS.

6. sbq92

Call it creative license. :p

MissingNo2 likes this.
  7. Mariofan5000

Well, I must admit, that BT reminds me a lot of Dry Bowser becuase of the color.
    But there are more graphical problems in the 16-bit skins.
    Goomba's second walking sprite has a black line on it, which bugs me every time I see it. It's not supposed to be there.
    Everything in every single 2D game is a pixel lower that it's expected to be.
    Link's "killed enemy" smoke looks weird, almost as much as the Magical Sword shooting White Sword Beams. And he has 2 frames of walking animation.
    Also, in the original Metroid, whenever Samus turns around, she faces the screen for a split second before fully turning around. Must of been an oversight on Jay's part.
    Also, about the Koopas underground... don't forget that the skin color also changes for all things green, but not red, OK? Power-ups and Piranha Plants too.
    Speaking of Piranha Plants, they share the same color change as Koopas and Hammer Bros. and junk.
    EDIT: Would it be possible to fit in the level previews from SMAS in some way?

8. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Well that one is not really staying as Bowser. As far as I saw by my experience I am sure it happens when you hit a dieing Bowser. You kill Bowser and he turns into whatever enemy but then another shot/attack comes on him and that turns him back into Bowser.

9. sbq92

What?

The "weird" enemy death smoke is a result of having to use only two frames instead of something like 6 or so. As for the sword beams, they are graphically supposed to match the level of sword, but SMBC doesn't have that capability, so I went with the lowest form of sword that Link would have along with sword beams (under normal circumstances), and that is the White Sword.

I just checked the original Metroid, and Samus doesn't face the screen for a split second when turning around. She does so in Super Metroid, but not Metroid.

Nope. Keep in mind that SMBC is basically done. I'm fixing up stuff like palette and level issues, but we're not going to be adding superfluous things like different level previews at this point.

Rey D likes this.
  10. Mariofan5000

It's hard to explain, but take a look at Mario's feet in these screenshots to see what I mean:
    smas-smb3_airship.png smas-smb3_sky.png smas-smb3_sma4_resolution.png
    The bottom-most pixels of his sprite are inside the topmost row of pixels on the blocks.
    in SMBC, however...
    World 5-4.png
    Link's bottom most pixels aren't "inside" the topmost row of pixels on the floor, like it would be on a real console.
    That means some improvements are in order, but now it's unlikely.
    She actually does turn face the screen, but for a frame or so. Sometimes you can pause on that very frame.
    Ahh, the very fact that somewhat saddens me.
    But since I feel kinda random today...
    boss_bass_by_geno2925-d5mxz96.png
    BOSS BASS!

11. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

It's not an oversight. It's due to the fact that while working on the game, I spend my time on things that are more important than tiny graphical details. It doesn't matter to me if things aren't exactly accurate to the original. Most people don't notice.

Also, remember that this is a free game, so there isn't much reason to justify fixing tiny problems. Super Action Squad will not be free, so it will be more polished.

12. sbq92

Ah, okay, I thought that might have been what you meant, but I wasn't sure. I agree this would be kind of nice (and more accurate for most characters), but it's actually a lot more work than it may seem. It involves either going through all the animations in Flash and lowering every single thing by one pixel or going through all the sheets and lowering everything by one pixel. Either way, it's a ton of work that I don't have the time or desire to do.

Oh weird. I had to lower the emulator speed to 3% before I could see it, and even then it wasn't happening consistently.

:awesome:

ThomasMink likes this.
  13. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

I was just going to reply to that and say it doesn't happen, but I guess it does. I lowered the emulation speed down to 1% and still wasn't seeing it... :eek:

EDIT: Hah.. finally saw it! Bit more consistent to see when moving in a direction already (even if only one step). Turning around from a stand still doesn't seem to make it appear.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  14. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Oh yeah before I forget it!
    Is this jump impossible with Link, Bill and Quick Man or am I just missing something there?
    [​IMG]

It really seems to be waaay too far away for them. The others can make it though.

ThomasMink likes this.
  15. sbq92

Oops, I made that jump possible in 7-3 (C-3 is a duplicate of that level), but I forgot to do so in C-3. >.<

Faruga likes this.
  16. NES Boy

NES Boy Level 3: Paratroopa

Why not have the Princess say "We present you a new quest." for that instance?

Faruga and Mariofan5000 like this.
  17. Mariofan5000

Speaking of that, and this is off-topic, but...
    Everybody calls it the "second quest", yet that is used for Zelda only, yet this quest has it's own names:
    NES: New Quest
    SNES: More Difficult Quest
    GBC: Star Courses
    Why must everybody confuse those with "second quest" is beyond me, since SMBS would have to be the second quest and LL would be the third quest.

18. sbq92

Because in SMB the game actually started again as a harder game (Buzzy Beetles replaced Goombas and enemies moved faster), but in SMBC it's simply the end of the game.

19. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

The "new quest" being worlds 9-D.

20. Mariofan5000

SMAS treats Worlds A-D (but not World 9) as the new quest.