Super Mario Bros. Crossover 3.1

People have been asking for The Lost Levels to be added to Super Mario Bros. Crossover for a long time, so we decided to do it.

1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

SMBC treats Worlds 1–D as the Lost Levels maps. :p

Faruga likes this.
  2. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Yup! World 9 is a separate bonus, that is the only thing that you unlock by not using warp zones. For world A, B, C and D you actually have to beat the game 8 times and then enter a simple code like thingy.

3. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

I meant that in SMAS, all the changes that applied to the new quest in SMB apply to World A-D in LL.

4. mat5200

mat5200 Level 1: Goomba

Hey. I must ask about something. Why Bill skins that use Super C music don't have Area 1 music?

Develon, Faruga and Urutsune like this.
  5. Urutsune

Biggest mystery of my life! Why does it indeed use stage 2 music for overworld instead of catchy, memorable and iconic stage 1 music?

Faruga likes this.
  6. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

Although 3.1 is the last major update planned for SMBC, I thought I'd chime in with a gameplay suggestion regardless.

To extend on an idea I had posted in a previous thread, I was thinking that rather than choosing between the "All Characters", "Single Character", and "Single Character Random" from the start menu (which cannot change for the entire game), there could instead be a new "Next Character" option available in both the start menu and the in-game menu. The values for this option would be something like "Select", "Same", and "Random" to simulate the modes above.

To demonstrate why this new option would be useful, suppose you've selected Ice Man as your character and intend to stay as him for a while. Currently in SMBC you might choose "Single Character" mode from the start menu to avoid having to re-select him with each new life. However, suppose a few levels in, you think you'd like to change to a new character such as Ryu. Normally you'd have to start a new game.

With this new "Next Character" option, you would instead start your game by setting the value of the "Next Character" option from the start menu to "Same", and proceed to choose say Ice Man as your character. Then, if you want to change to a new character a few levels in, you would change this option to "Select" instead. At your next life, you would then be brought to the character select screen. Once you choose your new character (say Ryu) you could then change the "Next Character" option back to "Same" if you wanted to stay as Ryu for a while. Of course, if you preferred your next character(s) to be randomly chosen instead, you would simply change the "Next Character" option to "Random".

Even if this can't make it in to a future update of SMBC, I think it's worth considering for SAS.

Mitewing and Mariofan5000 like this.
  7. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I'm not a fan of Fire Man's portrait. It looks too chibi to me. I would think an 8 bit demake of the Wily Wars portrait would be better. Just sayin'.

8. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Never thought to look at the Wily Wars portrait.. and neither did anyone else at the time of its creation.

The one used is an 8-bit demake of a mugshot from Mega Man's Soccer. Seen here (at the very bottom with the other mugshots).

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  9. Mitewing

Mega Man Soccer would be acceptable. I thought the portrait was somewhat based on Powered Up or something. While I still think Wily Wars looks a little better, I am a little more relieved and accepting now.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  10. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Nah, no one used Powered Up for a protrait. I remember saying I refused to use the one from the MM3 end credits because I didn't like it.. so from there I think it was two different mug shots from Mega Man Soccer and a cropping from the MM&B CD Data. Why none of us thought of Wily Wars, I'll never know. Brain farts all around, I guess.

But anyway, that gave me an excuse to prod pixels just for comparison purposes...

firesoccermug.png - Current
    firewwmug.png - Wily Wars

To me, they both work. So eh..

Mariofan5000 and Mitewing like this.
  11. Urutsune

Wow... the Wily Wars one looks like a "I'm going to rape you while you sleep!" face.

Rey D, Mitewing, Faruga and 1 other person like this.
  12. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

The current icon looks great

Faruga and ThomasMink like this.
  13. ace

ace Level 1: Goomba

This new version is awesome! What a fantastic Xmas present! Thanks so much to everyone at Exploding Rabbit :)

Have to say, I was very surprised and sorry to read so many negative comments on here and elsewhere - it really does come across as people sounding ungrateful. I can understand the genuine disappointment of members of the community who have done work (e.g. skins) that's not been used - but at the same time, this has never been an open-source game and Jay has always had the final word as it is basically his baby.

So I'd say, people, just be grateful for this amazing new version of a wonderful free game that has been a labour of love for Jay and all involved. It's a shame that development has come to an end, but we are just lucky it didn't end sooner! A free project can't last forever - people got to pay for the roof over their heads!

14. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

Some weird thing happened. I was just going through World 1-2 in SMB on Normal and when I stomped one of the two Goombas on the last staircase in just walk on air while squished!
    EDIT: The Squid item doesn't give Ryu the scroll thing.
    EDIT 2: In World 4-3 in Special, the bonus room uses the wrong background.
    EDIT 3:
    Just to help these, I fixed the outline colors, and changed the last 2 sword beam sprites to be used by the Magical Sword. I don't know how that would work for NES skins. The more important changes are that I replaced the Zelda sprite with the one used in BS Zelda (the old one had two extra black pixels and some wrong colors, as well) and the 3rd walking sprite. I also took the liberty to fix the others as well.
    Link_001.png Link_004.png Link_015.png link_020.png Link_008.png Link_009.png
    *NOTE* These are not the official sheets, just improved versions not yet used in the game.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  15. sbq92

Just so people are aware, I'm no longer at the house, so I can't do anything anymore. I can't update sheets, I can't make adjustments to levels. Whatever is there is there for good now, unless Jay wants to fix it.

16. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Base Quarters Bunny?
    Bunny Quarter Base?

17. sbq92

@Mario-Fan : Fixed. :p

I can't fix these, but the sword beam thing doesn't make sense anyway. That's not how the sword beams work. The beams cycle through all four frames, so the graphic would be flickering between the two sword graphics, and it would look pretty bad.

18. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Enjoy your holidays ER and get lots of relaxation

19. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

Now that he's moved house, is it too late to upload the bug fixes (especially the pit in D-4 some characters can't cross)?

Mitewing likes this.
  20. Mitewing

Beed28 likes this.