Super Mario Bros. Crossover - Trailers (Before 3.0)

Trailers for Super Mario Bros. Crossover

1. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

I agree with you. And by the way, welcome to the forum.

2. William Jhordhan

William Jhordhan Level 1: Goomba

Thanks! I've actually had a forum account since 2010 (we made our accounts the exact same day according to your profile) but never actually got around to posting much, seeing as there wasn't too much more stuff happening until a month or so ago. With 2.0 and following updates it looks like there will be a lot more reasons to visit the forums, with skins and other community things.

3. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

WTF

4. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

1) yes
    2) yes
    3) each skin in game at the moment has its own music, no word on whether or not all future skins will have their own music
    4) very few
    5) nes/game boy/snes sprites for each character, and at least one alternate skin for each character. Ryuza posted a spoilered list of skins, but you'll have to search for that one.

Rey D likes this.
  5. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

It's on the wiki, inside skin templates, there is a "spoiler" section. Here are listed all the skins.
    EDIT: Here, to be more exact.

6. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I put that up. I felt there should be an easier way to find them.

7. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

You know I have been thinking about something. Something what I don't remember to be talked about, to be honest I never EVER seen anyone talk about it.
    How many buttons will it play with? Will it be still 3 button highly unrealistic to actual NES controls or will it FINALLY become 2 buttons have true NES-ish controls?
    I mean I am surprised that nobody ever even complained about that or talked about it. It just weird... I mean really people who not noticed it NES controller has two buttons A and B. SMBC plays with with 3 buttons! I can see reason behind it for the past like it was a button for extra stuffs like Rush but now I just see no reason for it with all the weapons and tools and stuff. It just need now a select button which brings up inventory for some characters or let you switch just like real NES controls. There is really absolutely no reason for 3 buttons now so I personally seriously hope it will be played with 2 buttons so I control characters just like in their own games like throw my alt weapon with Simon by pressing up and attack.

Mitewing likes this.
  8. silentshadowxp

You forget that there was a select button on the nes, so 3 buttons actually worked.

FCx and uglyrodent like this.
  9. Urutsune

Yeah but you don't use select ever for such. It's a button for very most misc stuff, you never mash on it to attack and stuff. But anyway possibly not getting my point.
    Then again I think it is that way mostly only because of Link. In Legend of Zelda you attack with your sword with one button and you can select a tool/weapon for the other button. But in SMBC you jump around with Link and Jay most likely wanted to make you still able to have the boomerang and sword useable without switch and at the same time keep the ability to attack in all directions. So yeah it's most likely ALL LINK'S FAULT.

Mitewing likes this.
  10. silentshadowxp

I wouldn't so much day it's Link's fault, but rather just a way to make the game more fluid to play. It may sacrifice old school controls, but it does so to allow it to be easier to control and get rid of frustration caused by awkward controls.

On another note, 2.0 is essentially a SNES game now because of the possibility of SNES graphics, so IMO it should be looked at in terms of the SNES controller now.

uglyrodent likes this.
  11. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I wouldn't say there is any "fault" here anyway. A change of platform allows for (and most often necessitates) a change of control scheme. So it has one extra button of use than the NES had, so what? It may not be exactly like the NES, but SMBC is neither on the NES nor is it even SMB. As of 2.0, SMBC is even less like the NES anyway, since you can play the game entirely with 16-bit graphics and music, and both the Genesis and the SNES had more buttons than the NES had. If SMBC still uses only three buttons, an argument could be made that it ought to use even more considering all of the new weapons and such involved.

Given the nature of the game and the platform for which it was made (i.e., Flash), it simply can't match the NES perfectly. That is too much of an expectation. I definitely understand where you're coming from, but I just don't think it's a realistic hope. :)

Frozsoul and uglyrodent like this.
  12. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

A short post to bolster the other arguments:
    Jay has said that fun trumps fidelity.

13. Urutsune

Well don't get me wrong, it's not a must but something what would be nice. I thought it would be just cool if the controls would be like in their own game, thought it would be nice extra (and by my opinion not too hard to do for most characters) since SMBC tries to make characters play like they do int heir own game. On most cases it's really simple to make the controls like Ryu, Simon and Samus example since barely need to change things. Oh and you can do a very few almost cheat things with 3 buttons example like you can shoot beam and missiles at the same time with Samus because the two thing is on different buttons.
    So do not misunderstand me, it's not a must I still love the game same with three buttons. It would be just nice to make it much as possible and still comfy just for the sake of experience, to make you feel like you really play as that character even more.

Mitewing, sbq92 and uglyrodent like this.
  14. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

One possibility is using software like Joy2Key to remap the keys that are used in SMBC to whatever combination of buttons you want on your controller.

15. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I do understand what you're saying. I actually was kind of expecting this version would have the Up + Attack for sub-weapons and such for Simon and Ryu, but Simon is seen crouching and throwing crosses in the trailer, so it most likely retains the three-button setup. I don't mind it either, I just thought with all the changes to the game to make the characters control more like in their original games, that change would have made it in. Who knows, perhaps there is an option for the Up + Attack setup for those characters. :)

16. TiagoDu

The 3/2 Buttons thing can be resolved with Joy2Key or XPadder. Like if you press the down/up button it makes the "B" button (Run) be the "C" Button (Special Attack).
    Trust me. this is a lot easier than coding directly into the game.

uglyrodent likes this.
  17. Frozsoul

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but along with the new GB/SNES musics that are being added will there also be GB/SNES sound effects?

18. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Apparently not, as seen with Samus in the trailer.

19. Frozsoul

Well the trailer also didn't demonstrate most of the new musics being added which is why I wasn't sure.

20. TiagoDu

The trailer just showed the new skins system, the new power-up system, new HUD, some new sounds/music and new characters.
    It didn't show new modes, cheats or features (that isn't the ones i said abouve) so there's plenty to discover still