Super Mario BROS? Crossover

Discussion in 'Game' started by mattex66, May 19, 2010.

1. mattex66

mattex66 Level 6: Lakitu

The forum name of where this post is located is called 'Super Mario Bros. Crossover'. But on Newgrounds it's called 'Super Mario Crossover'. So Jay, what is the intended name of the awesome game?

2. Ganymede

Ganymede Level 5: Spiny

The official name is "Super Mario Bros. Crossover" (as displayed in the opening sequence of the game), but Jay is okay with people referring to it as Super Mario Crossover.

SOURCE: Description of the game on Newgrounds.

3. mattex66

mattex66 Level 6: Lakitu

Ah, thank you, never read there. :)

4. BURGERMAN

BURGERMAN Level 6: Lakitu

Yeah, I was a but confused about that too, also the fact that it only features half of the Mario Bros adds to the confusion.

5. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Newgrounds has a limit on how many characters per name. So it came down to this:
    Super Mario Bros. Cro
    Super Mario Crossover
    Super Bros. Crossover
    Mario Bros. Crossover
    Super Mario Bros.

Only two of those don't suck. I usually call it Mario Bros. Crossover IRL.
    The description on NG was rewritten, so I'm not sure if the character limit was addressed. So this was an FYI kind of thing, as much as I hate that phrase..

6. BURGERMAN

Wow, I never would of thought it was because of character limit. I hate character limits.

7. J Squared

J Squared Level 7: Bloober

I just want to point to this as an example of a good and informative post.

As an elaboration of this, Newgrounds (NG) imposes a 25-character limit on all Flash submission titles.
    "Super Mario Bros. Crossover" exceeds this limit by 2 characters. Other possible titles might have been "SMB Crossover," "Super Mario X-Over," "SMBC," "SuperMarioBros. Crossover," "Super Mario Bro Crossover," and so on. Instead of sacrificing proper grammar or the authenticity of individual words, Jay chose "Super Mario Crossover." The official name, as Ganymede said, is "Super Mario Bros. Crossover."

8. BURGERMAN

Damn newgrounds, THEY PLANNED THIS!

9. J Squared

[​IMG]

10. BURGERMAN

*Whimper*

11. pinkpuff

pinkpuff Level 3: Paratroopa

I think "Super Mario Crossover" makes more sense at the moment since Luigi's not in the game yet. But I assume he will be in it at some point?

12. J Squared

The logic behind the name "Super Mario Bros. Crossover" is that "Super Mario Bros." is the original game into which other characters are being crossed over. I'm not allowed to confirm or deny whether characters will or won't make it into future releases of the game, as all planned additions to which I am privy are considered by Jay Pavlina to be confidential information. However, speaking as a person instead of a staffer, Luigi is a very popular request so he has a good chance. Hope this helps.

13. BURGERMAN

I would only want Luigi if he was the SMB2 style so he could charge jump, pick up enemies and throw enemies as weapons. The only problem is what powerups? Bombs?

14. pinkpuff

What about this:

He starts small, and can't pick up anything but the contents of '?' boxes (he can still hit them from underneath but he also has the option of standing above them and "pulling" the contents out as if he was standing above a radish in SMB2). If he steps on an enemy he stomps it just like any other character.

Mushroom makes him big and able to also pick up destructible blocks if he stands on them and can chuck them at enemies (like the jars in SMB2). Stepping on an enemy still causes him to stomp it.

Fireflower makes him able to stand on and ride enemies (not spiky ones though), and pick them up and chuck them.

He can run and charge-jump in all forms.

15. Tid

Tid Level 3: Paratroopa

I would actually think this made more sense. Just IMO.
    Toad (if he gets in) would be the Doki Doki Panic version, with the same powerups you mentioned there.
    Luigi would be the SMB3 version, and powerups would be the suits, I suppose. Toad wasn't in SMB3, so this is the only way we could have all 3 Mario characters and make them all unique.

16. pinkpuff

That's a good point.

Wouldn't it be kinda surreal seeing Toad rescue Toad though?

17. Tid

Well, the concept for each character having a different rescue thing (Link getting a piece of the triforce for example) has been discussed briefly, so it's still possible. Or Toad could just rescue Toad and we leave the lulz factor there.

18. Invertin

Invertin Level 3: Paratroopa

"Thank you Toad, but- what"

19. Tid

Lol I love that.

20. pinkpuff

And you could play as Peach and rescue Peach?