Super Retro Crossover Preview Released

Discussion in 'News' started by Jay, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

I worked on Mini-SAS until early February, and after reevaluating some things, I decided to go back to a modified version of my previous plan, and I am once again working alone. I did not want to announce anything until I had something to show, and I do... already.

Super Retro Crossover is a fan game that combines various elements of existing retro games to create new experiences. Basically, it lets you play as characters from one game in levels from other games. This might sound familiar. It's a similar concept for the game I kickstarted in 2012, Super Retro Squad, later renamed Super Action Squad (SAS).

Why am I making this?

Ever since I did the SAS kickstarter in 2012, my top priority has been to make that game. However, as explained in our announcement to put the game on hold, I failed due to inexperience. Since then, I've had a huge amount of experience in a variety of challenging circumstances. I've worked with a lot of different people, a lot of different tools, and even on a few different games.

I wondered what would happen if I tried to make SAS now, by myself. To get an estimate, I decided to see how long it would take for me to put Mega Man into Castlevania starting from scratch. It took just over a month. Compare that to it taking me over a year and a half to make Super Mario Bros. Crossover. Sure SMBC has more levels and characters, but adding levels and characters isn't the part that takes a long time. What matters is how the different elements of your code and engine work together, and I've already designed almost everything to be reusable.

So from my perspective, I'm able to work by myself and achieve much of the efficiency I was hoping to get with a team.

Why now?

My experience isn't the only thing that has made this easier for me. Unity got some pretty useful features since the time we were developing SAS. I was able to use the new features of Mecanim to drive most of the characters and enemies. It's so much easier than coding everything. I also used the serialized events that were introduced in version 4.6 quite a bit.

The other big thing is WebGL export. It's still in preview, but it already works great. It allows you to have the console experience on the web, which is great for a 2D platformer. Being able to export to the web allows me to develop SRC as a fan game simultaneously with SAS.

Why a fan game?

SAS was supposed to be heavily influenced by existing retro games, and anything I create for SRC can be used in SAS with modifications. It's work I have to do anyway, so I figured I might as well just do parts of the actual games and make them playable for free on my website. It's also a great learning experience and helps me to design my engine better. Each level is a small achievable goal and gives me more stuff to work with in SAS.

The game is currently considered to be in a preview state since it only has one character and one level. I'll take it out of the preview state when it has multiple levels and characters.

Feel free to post feedback in the Super Retro Crossover forum. Also, note that Unity's WebGL export only officially supports Chrome and Firefox on desktop.

You can play the game on the Super Retro Crossover page.

CowboyJoseph64, Mitewing and Faruga like this.
  2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

It's certainly playable. As an early build, it's good. Encountered no bug or anything too funny.

VGamer, Mitewing and Faruga like this.
  3. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Finally a reason to get out my laptop! You're awesome Jay! Gonna check it out now!

EDIT: Wonderful concept. I'm just curious as to how Mario worked in Metroid. Thankfully you put in the Buster Shot, or I don't think anyone could've survived without out.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  4. Jay

I added full screen mode. Press F.
    I didn't get far enough to find out. This is a completely different thing I built from scratch in Unity.

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  5. Mitewing

This kinda reminds of the Mega Man VS fan games. What I would like to see is Ryu playable in Castlevania, given not only Ryu's similar gameplay to Simon, but also the differences. It totally wouldn't be out of place as both Ryu and his father Ken/Jo have fought vampires in what's known as the Vampire Wars: http://ninjagaiden.wikia.com/wiki/Vampire

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    Faruga likes this.
  6. Taco Man alligne

Taco Man alligne Level 0: Newbie

my windows 8.1 google chrome doesn't even load it.
    it just goes to the "aw, snap" screen and i can't
    make the thing stop going to it
    what's your advice, oh great jay

7. Jay

I just tried it in Chrome on Windows 8.1 and it works fine, so I'm not sure why it won't work for you. You could try Fire Fox.

Faruga likes this.
  8. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

If you stand in certain places, Zombies will spawn from the edge of the screen endlessly. Is that supposed to happen?

Faruga likes this.
  9. Jay

Yeah. They're supposed to spawn in groups of 3. There's a bug where if you kill them they don't, but it's not a priority right now.

Faruga likes this.
  10. Jay

Jay submitted a new resource:

Super Retro Crossover Preview Released - A preview of Super Retro Crossover is released, and I explain what it is and why I'm making it.
    Read more about this resource...

11. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Well, it seems that the overall flow is still going despite another change of plan, so that's good. I'm curious to see when and what the next update will be.

12. Mitewing

While you're working on SRC alone, does that mean Jessy and Catie are currently working on Mini-SAS?

Also, will one be able to choose from multiple characters eventually for each of the playable levels or will it be restricted due the story-heavy premise?

Faruga likes this.
  13. Jay

No. I'm the only one working on stuff for Exploding Rabbit.
    There is no story in this game any more. I felt that the ideas I came up with were too good for a fan game, so they're being repurposed for SAS. This game is purely just playing as characters in levels from different games. You pick a level, then you pick a character, and you play through the level just as it is in the original game. That's it.

Mitewing likes this.
  14. VGamer

VGamer Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

@Jay, may I be one of the first to say that the idea of this game is very interesting and I like the concept a lot. However, I have two questions to ask.
    1) Will there be other character's and stage's to play as in future updates? If so, what do you plan on adding?
    2) I heard a rumor that this game may have a level editor in the future. Is this true?

Faruga likes this.
  15. VGamer

Wait, are you able to play on the Metroid stage yet or no?

16. Jay

No. That was in a different version of the game that was scrapped. If people have ideas for what part of Metroid they'd like to play and what characters they'd like to play as, I'd be interested in hearing it.

17. Jay

Yes. The second level will most likely be Magnet Man from Mega Man 3. The second character will most likely be some form of Mario. I've not planned ahead beyond that.
    No.

Mitewing and Faruga like this.
  18. VGamer

Ah that's fine. Will there be any game modifier such as hard mode or an enemy changer like there are for Goomba's in SMBC?

19. Jay

I don't know. The first goal is to just get some levels and characters in.

Faruga likes this.
  20. VGamer

That's a good to start I guess. Have you considered adding Luigi from SMB2(USA)? I feel like that'd be cool since he's technically not actually in Super Mario Bros Crossover.