Super Retro Crossover

Discussion in 'Exploding Rabbit' started by Jay, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I mostly visit the site on my phone, so Disqus isn't compatible. Damned Windows phone...

Anyway, I've tried to think of other ideas, but SMB doesn't have much variety with characters, unless you look at Special, All Night Nippon, or Deluxe.

Regarding NPCs, it'd be pretty cool if Alucard makes an appearance in the Castlevania level!

Faruga likes this.
  2. Greymon57

Greymon57 Level 3: Paratroopa
    Patron

Ooh an update. Glad to see this project is back on track. Not that I'm suggesting it was off track. Just nice to see what the game plan is for now. Hopefully this new plan will work out for the team. Good luck on making these games. :)

Mitewing and Faruga like this.
  3. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Is this an intro level or something? If it's a real level I feel like there should still be some kind of threat for the player to navigate through. Perhaps instead of bridges, have the road be "closed" while a few of the toads are repairing the pits, forcing the player to go into the sewers where some goombas and stuff are still hiding.

Omicron and Faruga like this.
  4. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Yeah you could call it that. There shouldn't be any threats in this level, but I still want it to be fun for the player to go through it and talk to people. Maybe the toads put down some springs?

Faruga likes this.
  5. aliceandsven

Springs and fireworks... maybe synchronize the fireworks to go off every time you bounce. That would work well with the idea to make it night-time.

Jay, Mitewing and Faruga like this.
  6. Jay

Perfect.

On a separate note, on the last post you asked if it was an intro level, and I thought I'd clear something up. This game doesn't have levels. It's just one continuous experience.

7. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Oooooooooooooh.

Hype.

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  8. Mitewing

So it's a Mario-Metroidvania style of game... :-P

In that case, it would be neat to implement Metroid's title screen because IIRC it shows the planet's surface and the game takes place underground.

Faruga likes this.
  9. aliceandsven

Toads pick up the level card and carry it off-screen?

10. Mitewing

Isn't that SMB3?

11. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

I think that the 1-1 level should start from the end, and Mario would work his way backwards to the beginning of the level. The level could be mirrored, so that Mario is still heading right. And the background should be completely different, since you're seeing the opposite side of the level.

12. Jay

Interesting idea.

Scorpion42, BBQTurkeyzZ and Faruga like this.
  13. aliceandsven

i think going left would work fine, mirroring the level might be awkward and leave people wondering what is going on a bit too long

Omicron and Faruga like this.
  14. Mitewing

So is there a plot/feature related reason SMB3 Mario is used in Metroid instead of SMB1? Or is it because it looks better?

15. Jay

I was using him before I decided to incorporate a story. At first I was just going to do a bunch of unrelated scenarios, and one of them was SMB3 Mario in Metroid. What I'm doing now is similar, but everything is tied together with a story.

16. Mitewing

Good thing you changed the concept. Your original idea sounded like NES Remix 3, which isn't a BAD thing really, just derivative. I just wished Nintendo would hire you to make an official "NES Crossover" game.

Anyway keep up the great work!

BBQTurkeyzZ likes this.
  17. BBQTurkeyzZ

BBQTurkeyzZ Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

yes this

Mitewing and Faruga like this.
  18. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

Yes, let's all email Nintendo and draw their attention to this website which is infringing on their copyright, by asking them to hire him lol jk

Faruga likes this.
  19. Edwin0080

Edwin0080 Level 5: Spiny

In this game tricks will be implemented as SMBC