The Exploding Rabbit Awards

Discussion in 'Exploding Rabbit' started by Captain Rizer, Mar 5, 2011.

1. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

One, Top Poster is what Post Count IS FOR, and two, these are unoriginal ideas that would require some poor soul to judge each and every member. Come on, guys, look at the examples!

2. Captain Rizer

Captain Rizer Level 5: Spiny

Whoa there Debby Downer, first of all judges would be reviewing the ones who are active not the ones who do 1 post and are done. Also the judges would mostly be The staff or some lucky user who gets to be a judge.

3. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

The judges pick the nominees, not the winner. The public, NOT THE NOMINEES, pick the winner.

4. Captain Rizer

Well them or Jay picks but he picks the Downward Thruster Award.

Which means if Jay let's us go through with this we can Create a Sub-forum for the exploding rabbit awards with polls for all the categories. But he would have to make it so the results are private.

5. Captain Knight

How are the nominees not gonna be able to vote?

6. Captain Rizer

Nominees can vote but not for them selves, hopefully they live by the Honor Code so when a judge says "Don't vote for yourself, its low" they won't do it.

7. Captain Knight

Just pointing this out, the honor system can be a bitch sometimes...

8. Captain Rizer

Well its not like your winning cash or anything so it's not needed to vote for your self that badly.

9. Captain Knight

Gewd point.

Now, let's clarify, we're are on a website called "EXPLODING RABBIT" that has a FORUM. The reason why EXPLOSING RABBIT, is here is because of a GAME called SUPER MARIO BROS CROSSOVER.

Every time we get off topic, I'm repeating this message.

10. Captain Rizer

When would we hold this little event if it happens?

11. Captain Knight

Maybe the day after the update is released?

12. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"I've earned the Skin Master medal! I know a lot about designing sprites, so listen to me when I critique your work!"

No.. just... no....

Awards create people who contribute for the sake of getting an award, rather than for the sake of contributing. Just like post counts create people who post for the sake of post counts.

Awards create jealousy

Awards create people who will feel better than people without rewards. (see the line I quoted)

13. Captain Knight

Yah, this is probably the ONLY downside to this request.

If someone gets an award, and shows off about it, then they didn't fucking deserve that award.

You see where I'm going here?

14. CHAOS_FANTAZY

I, for one, am insulted by your foolish accusations. Let's look at your points.

A contribution is a contribution, my dear--the intention behind it matters not. Besides, many folks who actually deserve to earn the medals are not actually trying to earn a medal--they're merely doing what they enjoy. And a third thing--every single medal idea I have contributed involves being passed by the staff.

This can be a good thing--it drives more people to get into the field, so that they can "make something as cool as totally awesome member X."

Now this is just stupid. I can't believe you doubt this community so much that you think we'd rub it in everyone else's face.
    Look at the military. See how many medals they have? Do they really care about it? No? Didn't think so.

15. aliceandsven

Please don't state that I insulted you and then go on to call me "Your dear" condescendingly. Why are you insulted in the first place? We're all welcome to state our opinions.

"I can't believe you doubt this community..."

You just called me stupid. Is that any way to ease someone's doubts? (pretending that your assumption about me is true) And I'm not at all impressed with the military analogy.

I had a desire to debate this with you but after seeing how swiftly you went on the offensive, I don't think you really care to have a discussion.

16. Captain Knight

Back to the topic please...

17. aliceandsven

The topic is "forum awards", which is what I thought we could discuss in a civil manner

When I look at the line that I quoted earlier, "Listen to me because I'm a ________", I see a person who regards his opinion on a certain matter as more important than anyone else's, even if someone else has an equivalent level of experience with the subject, but does not have an award.

Without awards, we already know that someone like Ryuza has experience with spriting and skinning and is a good person to turn to (even before he was given a red-name). Just go to the thread area of your choice and look for the people who have made contributions. If people are needed they will be consulted, and it can and does happen without awards.

Look, already the idea is causing strife. I approach and try to offer a differing opinion and I get attacked. Why do we need awards so badly that you are willing to treat others this way?

18. CHAOS_FANTAZY

I'm sorry if that's what annoyed you. I am merely attempting to keep a friendly atmosphere.

Why am I insulted? Because that post was chock-full of negative energy. You were targeting my ideas, stated reasons why they were bad, than really failed to support those reasons. Looks like mindless bashing to me.

How would I know if you're stupid or not? I just don't understand why you doubt the community. You've been here longer than I have, and--although the newer batch isn't exactly the brightest--I if called you stupid, you're calling every single veteran here stupid by not placing your trust in them.
    And being unimpressed is a terrible comeback. What about it didn't you like, how did it fail to protect my points?

It appears to me that is you that does not wish to argue with me. I can understand this, however.

It would appear I'm at square one again: nobody likes my idea, and an admin is going to PM me to shut up about something or another. I guess I'll take my leave now.

19. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Chaos, that might be good; I'm sure you didn't mean to but you were kinda rude all around.

Actually, about the awards causing problems, do you guys remember the level system being introduced? A major concern was that it would induce spam. And the thanks? It didn't get much attention, but there was also a couple comments about that being a problem. You are positing pretty much the exact same concerns and, even though I share the same hesitation as you, they have been proven wrong every time thus far.
    No, the meeting of CF's method of arguing and your absolutist opinions* is causing strife. Sorry, it's a personality thing instead of the topic.

I'm thinking this might be cool on a kind of trial; we work out an easy, unbiased system, and try it, and see what happens. If it works, this could be really fun. And if it does cause problems...well, it will stop. I guess that if people DO take offense, the first round would be kind of a source of hard feelings, but if we can agree to forget about it (which I know we can) I really see no lasting damage if this goes belly up.

*Not that they are bad opinions, of course.

20. aliceandsven

I don't know how on earth I should describe your post's energy when you considered mine negative. I would hardly consider it an attempt to keep things friendly.

What I included in my posts were merely reasons that I was hoping would be discussed and built off of, since this is a forum. It wasn't even bashing, or targeting, I was just stating things.

Also there is no reason to play victim here; Most of the discussion here is in favor of awards.

EDIT: And what positive things do post counts, levels and "Thanked x times" provide for the community? To me they are arbitrary and only serve to extend the length of posts where there is not enough actual content.