The Exploding Rabbit Awards

Discussion in 'Exploding Rabbit' started by Captain Rizer, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

Did we say that these are official?

2. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I don't see how extending the length of a post makes it increase your post count, but okay...

Anyway, I don't think you realize how much you just outlined my point; they are arbitrary and have no "real" bonuses (aside from the levels assigning certain privileges, but that is just to root out spambots). The awards would also be arbitrary. You could be named the "Fastest Speedrunner" and it would mean just as much as being thanks 50 times. It's purely aesthetic.

3. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Let me clarify. With all of these things under your name (Level, post count, blog entries, thanks, thanked x times, messenger contacts) your post is lengthened. Even if there is little content in your post, your post will always take the same amount of space (read: way more space).

So I don't really get it... your argument for the inclusion of awards is that we don't actually need them? Can't you just say "Congratulations, UR, you won the competition" in the thread and then be done with it?

There should be a positive outcome if something is added.

4. Captain Rizer

Captain Rizer Level 5: Spiny

Like I said earlier I am still deciding if there should be prizes besides a little Sig Trophy... And maybe a wiki page reconizing how you contribute to the Exploding Rabbit Community...

5. uglyrodent

Thanks for clarifying; I misunderstood the way you wrote it. Now it makes perfect sense :D
    Well, that's an extremely simplified version of what I meant. I am arguing that if they don't mean anything, there is virtually no reason NOT to include them. I suppose an actual bonus could be cool though. I really meant that if they are included, they should be purely aesthetic; an icon next to your level or something. Or maybe you get a special picture you can put in your sig. I just meant that, for example, special privileges would be too much. Getting the fastest speed run time shouldn't allow you to edit other people's posts. I guess that's kind of an extreme example, but it gets the point across.

6. aliceandsven

There is a reason not to include them which I stated earlier. More than one, actually. We already know and can recognize those in the community who are good contributors. And if our goal is to establish a friendly and caring community, adding in the potential for more hard feelings, jealousy or whatever should be the last thing on our list.

7. uglyrodent

I agree. I'm just saying it might not turn out that way.

8. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

...Since the arguing continues, I just feel it necessary to point out at least one more thing.

ER is a growing facility. As aforementioned, we have new, not-quite-as-bright-as-us members coming in. These members sometimes haven't the slightest clue what's going on, and their posts are typically so short that the info tends to only stretch their posts.

Medals would serve as a mark, saying, "I can help you around this community, come talk to me."

9. uglyrodent

I think we've calmed down enough to safely call this a mannerly discussion, old sport :p

Anyway, I wouldn't say we have "not-so-bright" members as much as those who are simply inexperienced with this kind of thing. Everybody is a moron at things they are unfamiliar with. Other than that though, I agree with you 100%.

10. Captain Knight

Since this is turning into a manly man to manly man discussion, can we get back to SRS BSNS?

Is there gonna be something like a livestream or video when Jay is hosting?

11. aliceandsven

"we have new, not-quite-as-bright-as-us members coming in."

I think you should stop throwing that around so easily.

"Is there gonna be something like a livestream or video when Jay is hosting?"

I think first Jay would have to actually say that he's willing to consider this idea.

12. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

Although you are a moderator, I'd prefer not to be controlled by you, but still. Alright, how would you prefer I refer to our subordinates?

13. Captain Knight

How many times are we gonna argue about this?

STOP
    THIS
    ARGUEMENT
    THIS
    INSTANT

14. ketchupninja

ketchupninja Level 9: Spike Top

They're having a debate. what's wrong with that? It's on topic.

15. aliceandsven

First of all, I'm not even a moderator of this forum, I can't control you in any way.

No one was TRYING to control you. No one has any intention to do this. NONE.

It would be nice if you could stop being insulting and condescending towards our new members for no reason. They are not your "subordinates" either. They are your fellow forum members and you ought to treat them with the same respect you want to be treated with.

"Medals would serve as a mark, saying, "I can help you around this community, come talk to me."

We already have a forum where people can go to ask for help if they care enough to seek it. Somebody seeing a medal is not magically going to inspire them to seek help.

I am starting to feel sorry that I ever dared to voice an opinion here in the first place.

16. Ganymede

Ganymede Level 5: Spiny

There is literally no such thing as a subordinate on this website.

17. Captain Knight

So, back to work.

Is anyone planning on talking with Jay on this? Because if we're gonna be 50 pages in on this, and we're not gonna do this, we just wasted our time.

18. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Those aren't really awards, since they aren't a matter of opinion. They would be more like records, which would be awarded with medals.

19. Reset

Reset Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I was hoping this was a ceremony thread.

20. BURGERMAN

BURGERMAN Level 6: Lakitu

I have to point out, while awards would be nice I cant help feeling that it would only ever be the same people who receive awards over and over, there's going to be tension.