The Exploding Rabbit Spriteset Collab Team Thread + Discussions

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Johnny, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Johnny

Johnny Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Just say "I'm in" if you want to be in on it. Then we can start talking a graphical project to work on. Suggestions are welcome but I first want to get together the team and who will be committed to doing this.

People who are involved in this project thus far:

uglyrodent
    Ceed
    CHAOS_FANTAZY
    Scorpion42
    Yokuro Ado

insaneninja likes this.
  2. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I'm willing to pitch in in my spare time (technically, I don't have a lot of this, but I'll do what I can).

So far, I've done a bunch of skins for Sonic Boll that I eventually want in SMBC if possible, so I'll attach those as a way of showing off showing you what I can do.

Only the Doomed and Future skins are really worth noting, the others were just for funsies.

Attached Files:

Mitewing, Johnny and TheomanZero like this.
  3. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Despite being the one to suggest the unique skins, I don't have time to help. :(

I wish everyone the best on the project, though, and if it's not all done by Christmas, I can probably help out a bit, since I'll be done with school for about a month. In fact, hopefully 2.0 will be out by then, so you will have access to the skin sheets. :)

Godspeed! :awesome:

4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Those are some pretty sweet skins, uglyrodent. Even the Stark one is charming in a way.

5. Ceed

Ceed Level 6: Lakitu

I'll do what I can, but I'll probly only be available on weekends. I guess I could post pictures of some small sprites I did for other projects too... BWAAAAAH WAIT!!! I cannot, curse you dragging me into your oddly arousing net of sprite shenanigans, must FOCUSSSSSSS!!!!!

(don't lie rodent you have so much time its not funny, mebbeh invest some in TBS work? :p)

6. Johnny

Well I'll start with a couple of ideas for concepts and you guys make suggestions as well. We can pick the best one.

My first suggestion is a hero that is a Minotaur. Basically the base character used would likely have to be Simon Belmont as the Minotaur would likely be swinging a halberd (basically a huge Axe on a pole). The enemy replacing Bowser will be a Cyclops and instead of shooting Fireballs he shoots lightning. The enemies throughout the world will be various monster minions of the Cyclops.

My second suggestion is a Commander Keenish hero which basically has to hunt down Aliens.

A third idea is a Zombie hero. You start off all infected but if you get an antidote you get stronger. In the meantime you have to fight off zombies and infected animals.

The forth idea I have is Mermen vs. Fawns. Basically you are a Merman and you have to rescue the King of Atlantis but you have to fight off Fawns to do that.

Another idea is Cops and Robbers.

I'm sure I'll come up with more. Any ideas from you guys?

insaneninja likes this.
  7. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

I can't do nothing 'cept 8-Bit and recolors. So you might maybe get my help if that's the style.

Also...
    [​IMG]
    These are the sprites you would need to make a stand-alone MM skin for SMBC (Read: Doesn't change projectiles or R-Coil).
    [​IMG]
    And this is an awesome, but incomplete spritesheet of Combat Roll done by Uglyrodent.
    QED

8. uglyrodent

I said TECHNICALLY I don't have much free time, not that I don't use more than I have :p

I'm liking the halberd and zombie ones.

Maybe do an urban one? The characters are normal people, or the same characters in normal clothes, and everything is houses and shit.

9. Johnny

Here is how a Merman, a Werewolf and a Minotaur hero could look. I also made a random blonde kid sprite for the hell of it. I only made one frame in each sprite as a test. That is edited from small Mario.

Attached Files:

10. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

I'm in.

11. Yokuro Ado

Yokuro Ado Level 2: Koopa

I join in, I might do characters and item stuff when I'm being bored.

12. Johnny

Yeah actually the Minotaur one is kind of my favorite also. It seems like its the most original. I suppose I could do some work with the Minotaur if thats the concept we're going with...but then we need regular enemies for the Minotaur and to edit a Hammer Bros sprite into that of a Cyclops. Also the hammer tosses would have to be changed to lightning blasts. To make the battle more challenging there are a bunch of enemies who surround the Cyclops so its not just a simple task of running past or stomping on a modified hammer bros character to win the level. Plus editing background tile sets to represent where the battling will take place. Would be kind of cool for the game to take place in Hell. Basically you fight the Cyclops on every level but Lucifier is on 8 - 4 and he is a modified Bowser Sprite. Basically instead of tossing hammers, Lucifer will shoot lightning blasts but also shoot out Fire like Bowser normally does.

13. uglyrodent

Hell could work, but if we're doing a minotaur and cyclops why not do an entire greek mythology theme? We'd have a lot more to draw from and it would all tie together more neatly than if it was just random monsters.

On the other hand, you're right, a Hell skin would fucking rock.

insaneninja likes this.
  14. sbq92

Uglyrodent is quite right. The whole point of a community skin set is to have a common theme, not just a bunch of random things everyone decided they'd like to contribute. That would be no different than what people are already doing. A common theme should probably be decided before doing any actual graphical work.

While I have already mentioned I don't have the time to contribute graphics-wise, I would like to put my vote in for a mythology theme (although a hell theme could be interesting as well...in fact, some mythology involved hell anyway, with the Underworld and its ruler, Hades). :)

uglyrodent likes this.
  15. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Should we limit it to 8-bit coloring?

16. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I guess no, according to Johnny's work.

17. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Well, there's a difference between "8-bit coloring" and "NES coloring". The Master System could probably handle those sprites . . . but I guess that's not really important.

18. sbq92

I would recommend that the palettes be limited to 8-bit as much as possible, but if you do need to add another color here and there sometimes, go for it. It's an 8-bit game, but since it's a custom skin set (and a Flash system, not an NES system), there should be some leeway. Then again, the entire skin set could be 16-bit or higher. What's most important is consistency, so the entire team should decide on one main style of color-depth before starting with the graphics. :)

For a rundown on what "8-bit coloring" actually means, I explain it here (and I provide a bit of info on palettes a couple of posts later). I have no explanation for 16-bit coloring, but I think it's more or less the same, except that I believe sprites are limited to 16 colors (15 plus transparency) rather than 4 colors (or 3 plus transparency), and more palettes are allowed on-screen at once.

Rey D and uglyrodent like this.
  19. Johnny

Alright yes, agreed we can keep it as 8-Bit as possible, unless outlines are needed for a sprite. I placed everyone's names who said they would be in on the project in the opening post of the thread. Also I'm in for the Hell theme. Below you will see an example of how a hell theme could work and fit together:

Here is an excerpt from The Divine Comedy to help with a plot that could make more sense:

Basically what I'm thinking for the plot is a rather twisted one. The Minotaur confined in the 7th Circle of Hell devises a plot to overthrow Lucifer. Basically your goal in the game is to make it down to the 9th Circle of Hell and beat Lucifier to become the Lord of the Underworld. Basically through out the game the enemies will consist of:

Goombas = Centaurs

Lakitu = Sorcerers

Sorcerers are native to the 8th Circle of Hell which is where you will first see them. They fly around hurling down cursed souls upon anyone daring to challenge Lucifer.

Spiney Eggs = Sorcerer Blasts

Foul Magic raining down from above from floating Sorcerers which later become Cursed Skulls.

Spineys = Cursed Skulls

Cursed Skulls are decapitated heads that Sorcerers bring to life. They are cursed so physically touching them can spell instant defeat. However, they are not immune to the chop of an axe.

Koopa Troopas/Koopa Paratroopas= Harpies

Note: Some harpies will choose to fly, others will choose to simply walk around. Stomping on them will paralyze them rendering them open for a kick across the floor. They can also be chopped with your axe.

Bowser Fakes = Doppelgangers = These are found at the end of every circle of hell. They are falsifiers which mimic Lucifer in attacks. Falsifiers are normally native to the 8th circle of hell. Though Lucifer has specifically positioned these particular Falsifiers to guard specific regions of hell.

Piranha Plants = Hands of Hell = These are randomly found in hellholes. They are cursed residents of hell which will drag you down into the depths making your quest an ending one. They can only be attacked by your axe.

Cheep-Cheeps = Deceased Bandits/Vile Souls = When swimming in the rivers of blood you will come across these abominations which are horribly mutated by the hate they once had while alive. While swimming, they can only be killed by your axe. If they fly up out of a river of blood they can be killed by a stomp or an axe cut. First found in the 7th layer of hell.

Bloopers = Deceased Murderers/Vile Spirits = You will also come across these while swimming in rivers of blood. They will only be found swimming around in the rivers of blood and can only be killed with an axe chop. Like Bandits, these are twisted creations forged by their own apathy to lives other than their own. Cursed forms which reflect their love of taking life. First found in the 7th layer of hell.

Bill Blaster = Nests = Nests in an of themselves will not hurt you. You could even stand on top of them. However, it is what comes out of the nests which you have to worry about.

Bullet Bills = Flies = Flies which will eject out of nests and attack if they see any type of flesh they can devour. They can not be affected by the chop of an axe but they can be squished with a stomp like most insects.

Lava = Cocytus Floors =

Cocytus Floors are matter Lucifier has taken from the 9th Circle of hell and constructed it in areas guarded by the Falsifiers/Doppelgangers. The 9th Circle of hell is full of these foul constructs. If you fall into the matter, you will be sucked in and expunged out of existence.

Podoboo = Cocytus Frogs = These foul slimy frogs can not be touched, killed or dealt with. Only avoided. Creatures such as powerful as these which can live in the foul Cocytus confines would have to be impervious to just about anything.

Buzzy Beetle = Fallen Angels = Treachery is the ultimate of all sins so it is no surprise that these foul creatures are found in the final stages of the game. Fallen Angels are flightless monstrosities which deceived men into committing sinful acts and therefore cast into hell. They can be stomped on, paralyzed and flung across the screen just as harpies can. It is said that Fallen Angels are powerful and immune to the chop of an axe.

Hammer Bro. = Essence of Curse = Living heaps of plagued and diseased matter which is forged together into a walking abomination. They will fling cursed blasted at you while slinking their way back and forth blocking your path. Avoiding the cursed blasts and stomping on this foul creation will put an end to it. Also an Axe chop is another way to take this thing out of existence.

Here are the levels:

Worlds 1 and 2 = 7th Circle of Hell

Worlds 3, 4 and 5 = 8th Circle of Hell

Worlds 6, 7 and 8 = 9th Circle of Hell (Lucifer's Dominion)

So what do you guys think of this?

Scorpion42 and insaneninja like this.
  20. sbq92

It's a bit dark for my own personal taste, but I'm not involved graphically, so I suppose my say doesn't count. :p

It is very well thought out, however. The Divine Comedy is an excellent reference for a Hell theme, and I think it'll look great when it's done! :)