The Exploding Rabbit Spriteset Collab Team Thread + Discussions

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Johnny, Oct 3, 2011.

1. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I like it. Still thinking mythology and Hell should be different things but if it's FROM something then I'm up for it.

My only thought right now is that Goombas are only one block tall. This will make for some tiny centaurs. Everything else seems pretty awesome, if heavily disturbing (which I like >:)).

Rey D likes this.
  2. Johnny

Johnny Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Well I think we have strayed from mythology and have just gone with the Hell theme based on the environment of The Divine Comedy. It is different in a sense though from the Dante's Inferno game. Dante is not even a part of this game. In fact there is no hero. It is basically just the Minotaur breaking free of Lucifer's control to overtake him. Also about those Centaurs:

I developed them from small Mario. He is about the size of a Goomba, if not a bit smaller. If you zoom in on them, they actually came out kinda nice. I went with the top half of it being a horse and the bottom half more man-like.

Attached Files:

uglyrodent likes this.
  3. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

What will the tilesets be? How will overworld, underworld, water, castle etc. look?

Or do you believe Jay will let us skin the individual worlds?

4. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Centaurs are supposed to be man like for the top and horse like for the bottom, according to the greek mythology.

But I did not really get what was this huge post explaining what this is about. Just a bit lazy. Can you, like, recape the thing in a simple but efective post, so I get the idea, please? :)

5. Scorpion42

You can skip the quotes, they are not necessary to be read for you to get the idea.

6. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Everything is skinnable. :)

7. Scorpion42

I know, but will it be skinnable by world or by theme?

8. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Ok thanks. Here's what I did so far. :awesome:
    ERspriteset-ennemysheet.png
    Castlevania (custom) sprites FTW! :awesome:
    Yes I know I was supposed to do personnal new brand sprites, but I wanted to give a shot to castlevania sprites (Castlevania is what I think about when I read your ideas).

Oh wait. I was supposed to put the Cursed Skulls as Spineys, not Buzzy Beetles! >< Might fix that another time.

EDIT: Oh wait. Did not finish the centaur sprites.

Johnny likes this.
  9. sbq92

Oh, good point. My guess would be that the skins are based on tilesets rather than on individual worlds, but since Jay rewrote the entire graphics engine to support skins, he may very well have done so with the idea of different worlds being skinned differently. It would be fairly easy to do. Program each world's graphics separately, and then for Mario's graphics, simply have the same basic skins applied to each world. That way, the original skins look right, but there is then opportunity to have different worlds looking different, as per different games (such as Mega Man's games, with tons of different levels). The drawback to this, as far as I know, would be the sheer number of different graphics files, which Jay originally said would be problematic. But, once again, since he has rewritten the whole graphics engine, this may not be as much of an issue as it was before (different image handling or whatever).

Scorpion42 likes this.
  10. Johnny

Scorpion here is what I'm thinking. Each circle of hell has to be unique to really what it is. If you want this to fit together with a theme we would have to basically make each level congruent with a circle of hell. Hence basically it would be sorta like:

So here is what I am thinking and I will describe this in detail.

Worlds 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 and 1-4 would be the boiling blood river hence "water" levels. These levels will contain all the same music (not even different music for world 1-4). The Lucifer Doppelganger will have to be confronted underwater. This means either swim over or under him and avoid is projectiles to get to the Soul Crystal to destroy him and the floor underneath him (normally the Axe in Super Mario Bros.) or you could axe chop him to death.

Worlds 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, and 2-4 would be more boiling blood levels but with a couple of more difficult obstacles in it. Maybe some rotating lines of fire in the water of a couple of other new things thrown in. Again Dopelganger will be at the end but maybe with a different pattern of flooring you fight him on.

Worlds 3-1, 3-2, 3-3 and 3-4 would be basically yet more boiling blood levels but with more variation. For example maybe some harpies and other stuff added in. Trees to swim over (as a portion of the 7th circle is an area filled with suicide trees) as well as other newer obstacles. At the end maybe the Lucifer Doppelganger might be surrounded by some harpies and centaurs hence more enemies plus the Doppelganger to swim over. The music is all the same throughout this world which is the "swimming" music just like the first worlds. Basically we can refer to the tunes played in all 4 levels of Worlds 1, 2 and 3 as the 7th Layer of Hell Music. This will follow suit for the next worlds.

Worlds 4-1. 4-2, 4-3, and 4-4 feature the 8th Circle of hell. Basically Worlds 3 and 4 are the evil chapels and alters as they are home to Sorcerers and other twisted demonic magical beings. These levels will feature all of the "underworld" music which can be labeled The 8th Circle of Hell Music.

Worlds 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, and 5-4 will feature more throne rooms and regal areas. This will end it off for the 8th Circle of Hell.

Worlds 6-1, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4 and Worlds 7-1, 7-2, 7-3, and 7-4 is the 9th Level of Hell which is the Frozen Areas before Lucifer's Dominion. These Levels will feature in them the "Coin Heaven" music. If possible, during invincibility status either no music will play or a different tune other than The 9th Circle of Hell music. If thats not possible than the invincibility star can be done away with altogether making the game even more challenging :).

World 8 is Lucifer's Dominion. These Levels are really the most challenging. They will feature the same music again on every level.

This is kind of how I see it working out. More or less Circles of Hell will have their own music and tile sets rather than just randomly spread out in sections of worlds like Mario games. You won't have just say again one water level. It will be a series of the same types of levels with variations. Think of how Sonic the Hedgehog game is structured. This is kind of the idea I more or less wanted to go with when it came to how the levels will come together.

You're on the right track with the Centaur so nicely done. However, I think we are perhaps looking at completely modified and customized regarding the Castlevania stuff. Though I will say you do have the concept in mind I was thinking of :).

What I would suggest for all of you is to think of all sorts of things you might find in hell. They don't necessarily HAVE to be something that is found in The Divine Comedy though if you are stuck on ideas it is a great resource for a theme such as this.

11. Scorpion42

First of all Johnny, my point is that we won't necessarily be able to theme the worlds, but will most likely be restricted to skinning the overworld, underworld, castle etc.

Second, we will not be able to edit the music or the levels in the next update, so we can't have the same music play all throughout World 1 or have the 1-4 be undwerwater.

12. sbq92

It would probably be best to wait on important details such as whether or not the worlds can be individually skinned before you go making such plans. Focus on some of the main graphics that you know can be skinned for now. :)

Also, Scorpion42 is right, we probably won't be able to modify the levels themselves (at least not for a while). We can't make World 1 a water-based world, for example, unless it's merely visual and not actually a water-based world.

There is apparently a level-editor planned for the final release of SMBC, but that's probably quite a ways down the road. It will probably allow for things such as choosing which levels use water physics and such, but for now we'll have to wait.

So, for now, the collab skin-set project has to be simply the appearance of the game. Nothing else can be modified yet. :)

Scorpion42 likes this.
  13. Scorpion42

Exactly. We're restricted, and our "instructions" have to fit that. Otherwise I, for one, won't know what to do.

14. Johnny

Fair enough guys. This should also simplify the concept as well then making things much easier. :)

Scorpion42 and sbq92 like this.
  15. Johnny

I know this hasn't gone anywhere as of late, however it doesn't seem like any of us really know which direction we're going in. I really hope you guys have a suggestion, because I'm all out of them. :/

16. Scorpion42

Hey, I didn't say we couldn't do a Divine Comedy project. We just have to know our restrictions.

17. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

This thread will probably pick up again once the new version comes out and we actually see the skinning system in action.

18. Johnny

Absolutely we can still do that idea as it seemed like the best one we had in the thread. Though I also agree we have to come up with a realistic way about doing something like this and to know the limitations of what we can do. If we're going to be skinning everything, we have to decide on whether or not we're going to start from scratch and make everything original or if we're just going to customize already existing sprites, backgrounds, etc.

Personally I would rather just try to make everything as original as possible by making all sprites and backgrounds from scratch while keeping in mind size aspect ratios as well as trying to make things look as uniform as possible. For example, as some has said, it may be in our best interest to just use an 8 bit color scheme. However, doing this will limit us even more. We need an actual blueprint of not only the concept and the storyline background, but also the ins and outs of how we're going to actually do this and what we're going to do.

19. Johnny

Rey D the idea is simple a concept based off of The Divine Comedy. Just a collaboration of skin sets with a dark feeling that fits together with a certain theme. I believe the theme we chose was Hell.