Request The Kid from Battle Kid

Discussion in 'Characters' started by TheomanZero, Jul 2, 2012.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Discuss the kid from Battle Kid here!

Omicron likes this.
  2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Let me guess... It's a kid? :D

3. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

In a green robosuit. Made by some woman professor. Who has to stop some other guy.
    Really, the plot's as bare-bones as you can get without going to Save the Princess levels.

4. Tsukiyomaru0

Tsukiyomaru0 Level 3: Paratroopa

Timmy is assigned to infiltrate a fortress to destroy a super weapon. The gameplay follows the style of I Wanna Be The Guy, except with more originality, actual 8-bit graphics, sound and music and fair difficut. Plus, Sivak released a free tech demo ROM of its sequel, showing new abilities, and a demo ROM, showing the first stage for both first and second games.

Also, it is an actual NES game, as opposed to IWBTG

5. MissingNo2

Okay, Bass was acceptable because he was basically Mega Man's Luigi. But I don't really think this modern retro character would fit.

6. Rey D

Patron

? NES is modern?

7. MissingNo2

The game was released like, two years ago. No joke.

8. Rey D

Patron

Aw CR--

I guess I should take a look at this then.

9. Tsukiyomaru0

Still, which is more suitable to be in? A character that comes from a complete ripoff of many other characters and in a PC Game that is hard as hell? Or a character based on the previously mentioned one that is actually made for NES?

And I hereby link to Sivak's official site: Sivak Games

10. TheomanZero

Personally, I think if you actually make a game for the NES in 2010, on real cartridges and everything, then you deserve a little leniency.
    Besides, isn't SMBC a "modern retro" game?

11. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I don't think either of those characters are worth putting in, but yeah I think it's cool that it's actually on the NES. It would be helpful if you could talk about what abilities this character has.

12. TheomanZero

Well, he starts out just being able to run, jump, and shoot, like Mega Man. However, he can collect power-ups to High Jump, Double Jump, Feather Fall, and Damage Amp (double damage). He also has power-ups for displaying his coordinates on screen and breathing underwater, but I don't think that'd be relevant for SMBC.
    There's also a sequel in the works that's planned to have new power-ups.

13. Tsukiyomaru0

Abilities of Timmy from Battle Kid:
    First Game (Fortress of Peril)
    • High Jump: Jumps higher
    • Feather Fall: Slows down falling speed for as long as you hold Up
    • Infinite Oxygen: Allows to stay in water for as long as he needs
    • Double Jump: Allows to jump twice
    • Double Damage: Each projectile causes twice the damage (You start with this in Very Easy and with a pink armor. But you can obtain it on normal gameplay with green armor)
    Second Game (Mountain of Torment) (Based on Tech Demo)
    • Easy Armor: Allows you to take three hits before losing a life, but is pink as to show that you are playing on easy mode
    • Wall Grip: Allows you to cling to certain walls and jump off them
    • X-Sludge: Allows you to move freely in sludge/slime
    Extra notes: The movement is very reliable. You stop moving at the moment you let go of the arrows, you can control your midair speed, you move at a fair speed, control your jump height by releasing jump button on desired height, etc. Also the armor features some sort of "gun" that allows to fire projectiles (limit: 03on screen). And the game justifies the one-hit-point-wonder: The armor he uses is a Prototype of a combat armor.

How this could work on SMBC:
    Given current version, all upgrades could be obtained instead of FireFlower. The Mushroom would, however, give him the Pink/Easy Armor. Infinite Oxygen would be needed to be obtained before any water level, or else you'd need to reach the top of the screen for air very often. Wall Grip should make it so you can cling to ANY wall instead. And X-Sludge could allow the player to easily move left and right in the water without being slow. Alsao, it is worth mentioning that he is short, the same height of Small Mario.

Cheats:
    • EZ MODO?! (Timmy only) : Makes it so you start with Double Damage and Easy Armor in every life. Unlocked by default, but the game should mock of you for using this cheat. (Peach: "What?! Easy mode?! Only kindergarten kids play on easy mode!". Toad: "Seriously, cheating? Do you need someone to teach you how to play?")
    • Lemons! : Random blocks through the stage turns into deadly lemons that can fall on you if you walk underneath. Unlock by completing 8-4 with Timmy.
    • One Hit?! : Any enemy can kill you in one hit. Unless you hit/kill them first. Unlock by beating 8-4 with "EZ MODO?!" active
    • No Item : Mushrooms, Fireflowers, 1Ups, Power Stars and coins are removed from the game. Work to earn your extra lives! Unlocked by obtaining a total of 9999 coins.

14. Rey D

Patron

This game is a Metroid-like game more than a Mega Man one, if you look the whole: one big map, items to enhance your abilities, you shoot and jump.

Battle Kid though has loose jumps with fast falls, quick high-pitched bullets and one-hit deaths which bring you to last save point.

The challenges look rather possible, but the difficulty does have its weight.

The music is fast and loopy from what I heard. It's not annoying but only made to keep the mood up.

The graphics look nice. They're not super great, nor are they crappy. They look good enough to be satisfied. I'm mostly talking about the tileset, though, because enemies look poorly drawn.

But because of the high rythm notably due to the physics and SFXs, it really feels highly really modern.
    The stage "puzzles" are quite inviting to say it's modern, too.

Latest TAS submission for Battle Kid

The game is totally commercial and sold on the site Sivak Games. Thanks to Tsukyomaru for having given the link.
    A playable demo is downloadable from the site if you want to test it out.

Tsukiyomaru0 likes this.
  15. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

I'm bumping this so more people can see it.
    With the weapon system that SMBC 2.0/3.0 has, I personally think Timmy would work a lot better now.
    also it would work great with my battle kid skin, but that's something else entirely

16. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

You do realize that none of the posts above are from before 2.0, right?

17. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

that's the point
    i bumped because 2.0/3.0

18. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

This implies that nobody posted since before 2.0.