Request The Kid from IWBTG

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Nat, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Nat

Nat Level 6: Lakitu

Good Idea. But even if you had all powerups you could still be killed instantly.

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ Barbie is actually fun to play. :p ...Wait. GBA? Maybe not as fun then. ^^"

On topic:
    Does he get powerups in his game?

uglyrodent likes this.
  3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I assume that if the Kid got in, it'd be as a gimmick character, so crushing difficulty would be okay.

4. Tsukiyomaru0

Tsukiyomaru0 Level 3: Paratroopa

I think he does if few instances... But, even so, they are just "to make it slightly easier"

5. Nat

Well no, but there were some secret items in the game which were suposed to give you different weapons.
    Though they were collectable, they were never usable ingame. Maybe use those as powerups?

6. Tsukiyomaru0

7. Nat

8. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I think it was "inspired by" rather than a "spinoff".

9. Tsukiyomaru0

Yes, it was inspired by. But, effectively, Battle Kid is the same thing. One Hit Point Wonder, hard and lemons/limes kills you. But, overall, Battle Kid is 8-bit, which makes it so you only need to rip sprites.

10. Nat

Yeah that was what I meant.

The game doesn't have color limits (smbc), so it would be fine.
    battle kid would work quite nicely as a skin though. Along with boshy, I love that fangame.
    And while i'm talking about skins and colors, the kid does have one 16-bit sprite in IWBTFG, so we could use that to recolor the sprites for SNES graphics. You'll find it in the vid I posted earlier.
    EDIT: I made a 16bit recolor myself:
    16-bit the kid.png

11. Kru5h

Kru5h Level 2: Koopa

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have beaten Crossover with every character, no deaths, no warps, no power-ups, hardest difficulty, keyboard only.

I think that The Kid would be a great addition to the game and would could be a great challenge for players who have already accomplished everything.

To keep in the spirit of IWBTG's unfair and soul-crushing difficulty, we could have things like:

- Power-ups kill you
    - Gun is practically worthless
    - Add walljumps to areas that The Kid would need them
    - All shortcuts and warp zones are disabled or take you backwards
    - Only one life, possibly one save point per world, or more if you want a pink bow in your hair.

12. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

All of the things you suggested kill the point of the game near completely.

- Power-ups kill you
    He might as well not have powerups, then.

- Gun is practically worthless
    Then why have the gun?

- Add walljumps to areas that The Kid would need them
    No other character gets the stages adjusted outside of moving platforms over large pits and before the flag.

- All shortcuts and warp zones are disabled or take you backwards
    That would destroy the flow of the original SMB. Just don't use the Warp Pipes, then.

- Only one life, possibly one save point per world
    These are the kind of rules you're supposed to make up yourself. They're not straight built into the game.

- or more if you want a pink bow in your hair.
    Sanity over humiliation. Just sayin'.:blank:

13. Kru5h

Kru5h Level 2: Koopa

Then I don't recommend you ever play I Wanna Be The Guy.

14. Rey D

Patron

We're talking about SUPER MARIO BROS CROSSOVER anyway.

The principle is that you don't change the world, and the character is mostly the same as their game, but with this world's health system.
    So how could you implement such a character?

15. Tsukiyomaru0

The Kid:
    1 hit point wonder, regardless of powerups
    kind of fast
    Walljump and Wallslide are default
    Mushroom grants him higher jump and shoot
    Fireflower grants him faster projectiles and allows more than one projectile on screen
    "Introduction" in character select involves and apple falling on him and killing him
    Introduction in title screen involves him wall jumping the back of the stairs next to the goal post, jumping on it with Mario.

16. Rey D

Patron

Now let me ask one question:
    Why The Kid from I Wanna Be The Guy or whatever, instead of implementing classic retro characters?

uglyrodent likes this.
  17. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I mostly agree. Characters from classic games are best, but we should also include characters that capture the retro feel (nobody was mad about Bass being added, for example, and I hear Quote from Cave Story requested a lot).

The Kid does not do this. He has vaguely 8-bittish graphics, and his game contains numerous retro references, but his game doesn't actually capture the atmosphere.

MissingNo2 and Rey D like this.
  18. Tsukiyomaru0

There is Battle Kid as I spoke before, which is a game for NES (even sold in cart format) by Sivak inspired by IWBTG. And I happen to have the ROM of it here.

As for Cave Story, damn, that game is pretty much 8-bit, with just object and sprite limitation removal.

19. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

You did mention Battle Kid. A lot. And every point you made about him has been correct.

But if you want him in the game so badly you should make a request thread for him.

20. Tsukiyomaru0

Battle Kid and The Kid are technically THE SAME.